Mongrels Are On Both Ends Of A Leash

Mila's Mum

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/opinion...6-1225926060764

MY relationship with dogs is a little soured by the fact that I was bitten by one as a toddler. No great physical damage was done, although I clearly remember the panic, the hospital fuss, the injection and the stitches, but I am decidedly wary around dogs to this day.

When people let their mutts run off-leash on public paths or assure me that their family treasure would lick me to death rather than bite me, they have no idea how it spoils my day. And, given the number of dog attacks reported, I reckon I'm not alone.

Sensible people don't scare the crap out of nervous passengers by putting their foot down and I wish otherwise reasonable people would accept that not everyone shares their trusting affection for the family pooch.

However, enough about my phobias. What about the seven people who are reportedly attacked by dogs every day in Queensland? That's an incredible 2555 dogs attacks a year, not taking into account a number that never make the official records and might be dealt with by summary execution in the bush.

You read the papers so you know the attacks range from a fairly harmless - although possibly terrifying - nip on the ankles to life-threatening maulings.

As reported last week, canine home invaders are not exactly unknown and the most innocent of perambulations can end in a welter of yelps, tears, blood and sutures.

According to council figures on attacks and regulated or dangerous dogs, the worst offenders are staffordshire bull terriers, followed by cattle dogs and german shepherds.

Right about now, all the staffie owners will start howling about how unfair it all is, how the baddies aren't purebred and how they'd trust their dogs with a newborn.

Maybe, but the figures aren't on their side. It's human nature that everybody's kid is an angel and everybody's dog is a darling.

But maybe we're looking at the wrong end of the leash. Maybe it's staffie owners who are at fault. Or blue dog owners. Or shepherd fanciers.

Is there something about certain breeds - their toughness, their aggressiveness, their bravery, their ferocity - that attracts a certain type of person?

I don't know, although I confess that while sidling around some dogs and their owners I have thought the studded collars were on the wrong beast.

But, seriously, if you look through the various council dog regulations, you'll find a lot about breeds, about identification, about desexing, about how many you can have and how much it will cost you.

You will find precious little about your responsibilities. Unless you have a court record for animal cruelty or running illegal dog fights, nobody much cares, so long as you have a buck in your pocket.

So long as you don't run a pack of wolves, nobody much cares if you know how to care for your dog, how to train it, how to love it, how to stop it making the neighbours' lives a misery or how to keep it from sinking its fangs into strangers.

Nobody much cares if you see your dog as a pet, a comfort, a security beast, a counter to your own inadequacies or a projection of your own character faults.

And your ignorance, sloth or irresponsibility becomes an issue and a matter of record only when it is too late and someone is scarred for life or too frightened to step outdoors.

Like so many other presumed civil rights, the right to own a dog comes before any consideration for the animal or for other people.

Dog ownership is a privilege that brings with it great comfort and joy for most people but for others it is nothing more than another manifestation of thoughtlessness and selfishness.

Just about everything in life demands some qualifications - except, it seems, breeding children and owning animals.

[email protected]

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/opinion...6-1225926060764

MY relationship with dogs is a little soured by the fact that I was bitten by one as a toddler. No great physical damage was done, although I clearly remember the panic, the hospital fuss, the injection and the stitches, but I am decidedly wary around dogs to this day.

When people let their mutts run off-leash on public paths or assure me that their family treasure would lick me to death rather than bite me, they have no idea how it spoils my day. And, given the number of dog attacks reported, I reckon I'm not alone.

Sensible people don't scare the crap out of nervous passengers by putting their foot down and I wish otherwise reasonable people would accept that not everyone shares their trusting affection for the family pooch.

However, enough about my phobias. What about the seven people who are reportedly attacked by dogs every day in Queensland? That's an incredible 2555 dogs attacks a year, not taking into account a number that never make the official records and might be dealt with by summary execution in the bush.

You read the papers so you know the attacks range from a fairly harmless - although possibly terrifying - nip on the ankles to life-threatening maulings.

As reported last week, canine home invaders are not exactly unknown and the most innocent of perambulations can end in a welter of yelps, tears, blood and sutures.

According to council figures on attacks and regulated or dangerous dogs, the worst offenders are staffordshire bull terriers, followed by cattle dogs and german shepherds.

Right about now, all the staffie owners will start howling about how unfair it all is, how the baddies aren't purebred and how they'd trust their dogs with a newborn.

Maybe, but the figures aren't on their side. It's human nature that everybody's kid is an angel and everybody's dog is a darling.

But maybe we're looking at the wrong end of the leash. Maybe it's staffie owners who are at fault. Or blue dog owners. Or shepherd fanciers.

Is there something about certain breeds - their toughness, their aggressiveness, their bravery, their ferocity - that attracts a certain type of person?

I don't know, although I confess that while sidling around some dogs and their owners I have thought the studded collars were on the wrong beast.

But, seriously, if you look through the various council dog regulations, you'll find a lot about breeds, about identification, about desexing, about how many you can have and how much it will cost you.

You will find precious little about your responsibilities. Unless you have a court record for animal cruelty or running illegal dog fights, nobody much cares, so long as you have a buck in your pocket.

So long as you don't run a pack of wolves, nobody much cares if you know how to care for your dog, how to train it, how to love it, how to stop it making the neighbours' lives a misery or how to keep it from sinking its fangs into strangers.

Nobody much cares if you see your dog as a pet, a comfort, a security beast, a counter to your own inadequacies or a projection of your own character faults.

And your ignorance, sloth or irresponsibility becomes an issue and a matter of record only when it is too late and someone is scarred for life or too frightened to step outdoors.

Like so many other presumed civil rights, the right to own a dog comes before any consideration for the animal or for other people.

Dog ownership is a privilege that brings with it great comfort and joy for most people but for others it is nothing more than another manifestation of thoughtlessness and selfishness.

Just about everything in life demands some qualifications - except, it seems, breeding children and owning animals.

[email protected]

You have a point. Although not all Staffy owners are irresponsible and to say that is unjust. Staffies ARE great around children, I've had a Staffy as a part of my family since I was a year old, I believe they are one of the most beautiful breeds to own, so much so that I have never even thought about owning a different breed.

Out of curiosity, if you are so scared of dogs, why are you a member of DOL? I'm of the belief that DOL is for Dog Lovers, not people scared of dogs?

Ummm...I think the OP linked and copied and pasted from the Courier Mail...

Ohhh :) woops

Why would a newspaper report someone's opinion when it's only an opinion not actual fact?

Terry Sweetman is a CM Journo who has a weekly column (his opinion on topical items) in the Sunday Mail. He can be quite controversial.

Ohhh :) woops

Why would a newspaper report someone's opinion when it's only an opinion not actual fact?

Terry Sweetman is a CM Journo who has a weekly column (his opinion on topical items) in the Sunday Mail. He can be quite controversial.

Mainland newspapers are different to Tassie papers lol our opinion polls are centred around Government and politics, a dog rant is different for me :laugh:

Ohhh :laugh: woops

Mainland newspapers are different to Tassie papers lol *snip*

They are? I see dog related rants in the Examiner all the time (usually either about people not cleaning up after their dogs or dogs not being on leads).

They are? I see dog related rants in the Examiner all the time (usually either about people not cleaning up after their dogs or dogs not being on leads).

I get the Mercury :) They have write ins, but not very often about dogs. Unless there's been a news report on cruelty etc but I've never seen one that lengthy before :love:

I get the Mercury :) *moar snip*

Mm.. might have been a good idea not to make sweeping generalisations then. Hobart and the areas around it are not all of Tasmania and attitudes are obviously going to vary very widely. You only have to look at the Gunns pulp mill issue to see how location and local government policy can effect public attitude to an issue (and how vocal people feel the need to be).

I get the Mercury :love: *moar snip*

Mm.. might have been a good idea not to make sweeping generalisations then. Hobart and the areas around it are not all of Tasmania and attitudes are obviously going to vary very widely. You only have to look at the Gunns pulp mill issue to see how location and local government policy can effect public attitude to an issue (and how vocal people feel the need to be).

I didn't mean to make a 'sweeping generalisation', Hobarts the capital so to me it's Tassie. I'll say Central Tasmania if I refer to my location again.

To be honest, I know bugger all about the Gunns Pulp Mill :)

To be honest, I know bugger all about the Gunns Pulp Mill :laugh:

Depends who you ask :)

People who live in the area in expensive houses hate the idea (because of the risk of it lowering their property values). Lower income families in the same area tend to be more open to it (because of the jobs it will bring). And I guess political leaning also effects opinion- you can't be a Green and agree with the pulp mill, the other Greens would murderize you :love:

Getting back on topic.. I don't believe the article is especially well written. I forget the source (it's been a while since I've bothered with the BSL debate) but from what I can recall, the most frequently surrendered breed (to pounds) for biting humans is the maltese terrier, followed by the cattle dog.

The huge difference is, the average SWF owner is probably more likely to blame themselves or excuse the behaviour than to report to bite, unless treatment was needed and a report had to be made (whereas when a bull breed is involved, publicity tends to follow swiftly and be quite damning).

The other thing is.. I guess it's quite a bit harder to make a monster out of a dog that's small, white, fluffy and often adorned with bows or carried around in a handbag.

Edited for typo

Edited by Hardy's Angel

People who live in the area in expensive houses hate the idea (because of the risk of it lowering their property values). Lower income families in the same area tend to be more open to it (because of the jobs it will bring). And I guess political leaning also effects opinion- you can't be a Green and agree with the pulp mill, the other Greens would murderize you :love:

Getting back on topic.. I don't believe the article is especially well written. I forget the source (it's been a while since I've bothered with the BSL debate) but from what I can recall, the most frequently surrendered breed (to pounds) for biting humans is the maltese terrier, followed by the cattle dog.

The huge difference is, the average SWF owner is probably more likely to blame themselves or excuse the behaviour than to report to bite, unless treatment was needed and a report had to be made (whereas when a bull breed is involved, publicity tends to follow swiftly and be quite damning).

The other thing is.. I guess it's quite a bit harder to make a monster out of a dog that's small, white, fluffy and often adorned with bows or carried around in a handbag.

Edited for typo

My mum has a Maltese Terrier cross Shitzu. Bloody furball lol it jumps on my son and bites his hands, if I try to correct it my mum goes off because "he's only little".

If a Bull breed bites anyone or anything else at all no matter what the reason behind it, the media jump on it quicker than you can say "Crikey!"

Edited for typo

My mum has a Maltese Terrier cross Shitzu. Bloody furball lol it jumps on my son and bites his hands, if I try to correct it my mum goes off because "he's only little".

If a Bull breed bites anyone or anything else at all no matter what the reason behind it, the media jump on it quicker than you can say "Crikey!"

The answer is quite obvious when you think about it..

Dye your bull breed pink (purple works for boys, maybe with blue points) and decorate with ribbons, bows and maybe a little knitted coat. Things that wear coats can't be monsters, right? :(

To be honest, I know bugger all about the Gunns Pulp Mill :D

People who live in the area in expensive houses hate the idea (because of the risk of it lowering their property values). Lower income families in the same area tend to be more open to it (because of the jobs it will bring). And I guess political leaning also effects opinion- you can't be a Green and agree with the pulp mill, the other Greens would murderize you :p

Edited for typo

The answer is quite obvious when you think about it..

Dye your bull breed pink (purple works for boys, maybe with blue points) and decorate with ribbons, bows and maybe a little knitted coat. Things that wear coats can't be monsters, right? :p

That would look really cute on my new puppy! She's blue with white markings, I could put some little pink bows on her ears :crazy: And then when she's 'all grown up' I'll just get really cute doggie jumpers and make sure she wears them all the time, no one would possibly think she was vicious if she looked that cute :laugh:

That would look really cute on my new puppy! She's blue with white markings, I could put some little pink bows on her ears :laugh: And then when she's 'all grown up' I'll just get really cute doggie jumpers and make sure she wears them all the time, no one would possibly think she was vicious if she looked that cute :laugh:

Invest in some staffy pajamas. I'm fairly sure there's someone on here who makes them still :laugh:

I have a "vicious, dangerous animal" (according to a charming woman at the area I walk Kiff) but as soon as you put the jammies on them, people stop crossing the road to avoid you (instead you get to listen to them point out to you that your dog is wearing pajamas- as if somehow, you had not noticed the very large male greyhound wearing bright blue pajamas, standing right next to you).

Annoying at times but very effective. I suppose people figure.. if it wears pajamas, it's more or less people. Or something. Maybe it just looks absurd enough that it distracts the more stupid ones, who knows.