Frozen Semen And Toy Breeds

Skyfire

Hi all,

Just curious, I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any toy breeders who have had any luck with frozen semen AI litters? If so, and they're in Australia.. Vet PLEASE!! Friends of ours have brought in semen from overseas and both of them have had failed matings from viable semen.

A fellow breeder of my breed in the US has said that he has had successful litters from frozen semen, but we haven't seen any of the puppies. And I myself haven't heard of any.

Your help is appreciated =)

I know of a fair few toy litters from frozen semen, imported/ exported or collected here.

The most recent was a litter from 10year old frozen semen (and the sire was fairly old when it was collected too), collected & inseminated Rob Zammit (Vineyard Vet Clinic). Result was 6 big fat puppies.

Another (different breed) - semen collected here by Frozen Puppies and shipped to the USA, result 4 babies.

JMHO - My question would not be on the 'viable' semen but on the testing of the bitches ;)

Thanks for your help.

t-time, Friends did use him, he's their local vet.

Thanks Aspyre, what breeds were they? Do you know?

The bitch who went to Chermside was tested, I don't know where the other one went, but I'm sure she would have been tested too.

Both weren't maiden bitches, infact the bitch who went to chermside had a litter before she was imported, and then had a litter of 7 with us when she came to Australia.

WOW....that would be the first AI I've heard of that didn't take when going to see Phil - did he have any further suggestions for your friend? He really is one of the best repro vets in the country so if he couldn't get it happening, there must be some issue. :confused:

Edited by t-time

WOW....that would be the first AI I've heard of that didn't take when going to see Phil - did he have any further suggestions for your friend? He really is one of the best repro vets in the country so if he couldn't get it happening, there must be some issue. :(

Not that I know of, when they took her back to see if it took they found that she had breast cancer, so she had that cut out and then was desexed.

There's another thing that boggles me.. Is there such thing as breast cancer in dogs? Or was the vet just getting money out of them?

Edited by Kait xD

WOW....that would be the first AI I've heard of that didn't take when going to see Phil - did he have any further suggestions for your friend? He really is one of the best repro vets in the country so if he couldn't get it happening, there must be some issue. :(

Not that I know of, when they took her back to see if it took they found that she had breast cancer, so she had that cut out and then was desexed.

There's another thing that boggles me.. Is there such thing as breast cancer in dogs? Or was the vet just getting money out of them?

Yes, of course there is such a thing as breast cancer in dogs. Mammary tumours are not uncommon in older, entire females.

Breast cancer *could* stuff around hormones and the bitches' ability to fall pregnant :confused:

Obviously your friends feel they've had a bad experience with Phil Thomas? He really *is* the best repro vet so if they are in Qld and have another bitch to mate via AI, I would recommend for your friends to go with Phil a second time. :welcome:

Breast cancer *could* stuff around hormones and the bitches' ability to fall pregnant :welcome:

Obviously your friends feel they've had a bad experience with Phil Thomas? He really *is* the best repro vet so if they are in Qld and have another bitch to mate via AI, I would recommend for your friends to go with Phil a second time. :laugh:

Yes, it could have been the breast cancer, that is what Phil had said to them, but what about the other mating done? Pity there was no 'control' so to speak, as the other mating was done at a different vet, if it may have been done at Chermside and it was successful, we could put it down to the breast cancer, if it was not, well back to the drawing board!

I don't think they believe they've had a bad experience, there has never been an AI litter from frozen semen in our breed before in Australia (and as I said, I've never heard or seen any resulting puppies from a litter in the world, but then I could be wrong, I wouldn't believe people would sell frozen semen if they knew it wasn't going to work). They're hard enough to breed naturally! So really it's the luck of the dice.

Just have to keep the final straw for a rainy day. The sire passed away last week :confused: (he was just a month short of his 6th birthday), so we can't just 'get some more' if it doesn't work again.