Home Alone

bark

in summer i freeze treats, etc etc in some chicken stock into a small ice cream container, mine both love that type of thing and it takes them forever to get through.

i also put spme peanut butter into a Kong with some treats, seal the end again in peanut butter and also freeze that for a few hrs for them.

ive also heard that frozen watermelon is great, and most doggies love it.

Kongs are good, fill 'em up with their favourite treat and it can keep them occupied for hours.

I leave mine confined to my kitchen/dining area with a baby gate and if I know we are going to be gone for quite some time I set up a bit of a scavenger hunt. Scatter toys all about and hide pieces of dry food under them, hide little bits in corners and under obstacles... keeps them amused for a while.

Leaving a radio on is great for blocking out outside noise. If I sit here without the tv on they hear every noise outside and bark, but with the tv on it drowns out a lot and they bark less.

I'm lucky that I don't have to think of too many things because there are 3 of them together so they can entertain each other most of the time.

I have Labradors and they tend to keep each other entertained but when I only had one dog.

Frozen icecubes with a piece of meat or frozen with either vegimite,chicken stock, beef stock.

Various toys and a large soccerball. Puppies are kept in a large pen with various toys and kongs with bits stuffed in it.

I am pretty sure Jager sleeps most of the day as nothing much gets moved around in his play pen.

He gets a frozen stuffed kong when i leave at 6.30 and then another at 9.30 when my boyfriend leaves (the first is usually half eaten when he gets the second one) but both are always empty by the time i get home. Sometimes he gets treats in his A-mazing ball, but thats more for when we are only leaving him for an hour or so. In general he just gets his kongs. He also has a chew that i put it in his pen when i leave and it stays in the same spot for the entire day and then when i get home and he has calmed down and i have got a cuppa or sat down to read or something, he runs back to his pen and grabs his chew. Apparently it is only something he can do when mum is around.

Kongs rock!

I leave my dog a treat ball filled with her kibble when I leave for work.. she does give up very easily though, so I always have to put it on the easiest setting for her. It keeps her entertained for about 15 - 30 minutes. Sometimes I also leave a Kong with peanut butter or various other treats / kibble stuffed inside, she loves her Kong, but she gets bored real quickly - as soon as she's licked up all she can near the opening, she can't be stuffed trying to get the leftover bits inside!! She's got a bit of a "Stuff that, too much effort! I'd rather sleep" attitude, hahaha. I have also found that she doesn't like her Kongs frozen (even in summer!).

I also leave music on for her and recently have taken to turning on my webcam and stream it, so I can watch her from my computer at work. It is the most boring stream in the world because I find that all she does is sleep all day!! We always joke that she would probably keep sleeping even if a burglar walked right under her nose...

Mine sleeps!

I am on holidays at the moment so got the chance to observe a day in the life of a whippet.

I work Mon-Fri and my wife is home other than the times when she is out and about doing whatever it is mothers of young kids do to fill in the day (gym, shoe shopping, coffee with friends, flirt with tradies etc). On the weekends our dog accompanies us to whichever park, creek or beaches we end up at.

I am the primary canine caregiver. Yesterday I was at home and observed for you.

This is what he did...

6:00-7:00 Jog 8km next to me

7:00-9:00 Extracted a chicken drum stick which I had jammed into an extreme kong and frozen. This can take a bit of strength to get the drumstick in but those who have experienced child birth will be familiar with the process!

9:00-10:00 sleep

10:00-11:00 change position sleep

11:00-12:00 Move slightly to catch sun sleep

12:00-01:00 Stretch toilet go back to sleep

01:00-02:00 yawn sleep

2:00-3:00 Wander round a little then snooze

3:00-4:00 play with kids in the back yard

4:00-5:00 walk to park and watch kids play

5:00-5:30 Zoomies in back yard

5:30 dinner

6:00-7:00 snooze

7:00-9:00 lie on couch on watching TV with my wife.

Hope this helps!!

Mine sleeps!

I am on holidays at the moment so got the chance to observe a day in the life of a whippet.

I work Mon-Fri and my wife is home other than the times when she is out and about doing whatever it is mothers of young kids do to fill in the day (gym, shoe shopping, coffee with friends, flirt with tradies etc). On the weekends our dog accompanies us to whichever park, creek or beaches we end up at.

I am the primary canine caregiver. Yesterday I was at home and observed for you.

This is what he did...

7:00-9:00 Extracted a chicken drum stick which I had jammed into an extreme kong and frozen. This can take a bit of strength to get the drumstick in but those who have experienced child birth will be familiar with the process!

Hope this helps!!

:laugh:

Love it!! By the way, a lot off topic, your user name reminds me of my teenage years. Uncanny Xmen FTW!!

Food ball - then she pretty much sleeps til the cars come home

I should point out she gets very insistent if she thinks we should be going out (she will appear from sleeping and look all expectantly and is not happy if she is ignored because we arent going out).

Edited by rubiton

:rofl::):rofl:

in summer i freeze treats, etc etc in some chicken stock into a small ice cream container, mine both love that type of thing and it takes them forever to get through.

x2

My retriever loooves this and it keeps him entertained for ages!

Both my dogs sleep most the day, then play fight a bit, sleep, play, sleeeeep!

Mine sleeps!

This is what he did...

Hope this helps!!

:mad :mad :mad