Rspca Australia

Erny

Probably because of a complete lack of faith and trust in the RSPCA (Executive Decision level), I have had an "oh oh" moment when I received this :

RSPCA Australia Scientific Seminar 2011

All work and no play? Modifying the behaviour of animals and what it means to them

Tuesday 22 February 2011, CSIRO Discovery Centre, Canberra

The 2011 Scientific Seminar will explore the animal welfare implications of training animals by asking how our attempts to modify animal behaviour affect the animals themselves. Is making animals work for our own purposes justified? How do we motivate animals to perform, or behave the way we want them to, and do any of them actually enjoy it? Can we use training to improve the welfare of individual animals? And are the training methods used always acceptable, even when they are out of public view?

The Seminar will present the views of a range of experts in animal behaviour and training with experience with companion animals, working animals, livestock, zoos and animal parks. The Seminar will be chaired by Dr Paul McGreevy, Associate Professor in animal behaviour at the University of Sydney.

As is the tradition with this Seminar Series, the program aims to cross conventional topic boundaries, challenge current thinking, and stimulate further discussion. RSPCA Australia welcomes the participation of all interested people to help make this a fascinating and thought-provoking day.

Posters welcome!

More information: www.rspca.org.au/scientificseminar

RSPCA Australia

PO Box 265

Deakin West ACT 2600

Phone: 02 6282 8300

Fax: 02 6282 8311

Email: [email protected]

Web: www.rspca.org.au

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you on oh oh.

The training of my dogs, Peg especially has improved her life incredibly, if it wasn't for training she'd be sleeping outside in a kennel instead of infront of the fire for one example.

I'm beginning to think that the RSPCA is getting more and more out of hand.

Remember that one of the things on the RSPCA priority wish list was that it wants to have control over dog training and dog trainers. I can't remember if that was the Australian RSPCA wish list or the Victorian one. Point being, it was there.

Remember that one of the things on the RSPCA priority wish list was that it wants to have control over dog training and dog trainers. I can't remember if that was the Australian RSPCA wish list or the Victorian one. Point being, it was there.

Not a welcoming thought, goodbye dog parks, trials, shows. Whats next, are they going to try and stop bees for producing honey?

When you see things like this I just want to go and live some where else.

How much power will the RSPCA end up with.

That name McGreevy keeps cropping up doesn't it.

Well every body will just have to set a body up to counteract it.

One of the greatest problems is they have the finance to do it, we don't.

When you see things like this I just want to go and live some where else.

How much power will the RSPCA end up with.

That name McGreevy keeps cropping up doesn't it.

Well every body will just have to set a body up to counteract it.

One of the greatest problems is they have the finance to do it, we don't.

Is there anything that McGreevy isn't an "expert" in?

I was even thinking of some of the basic things like training zoo animals to show their teeth or expose their bellies so health checks can be done without having to sedate them. That is modified behaviour too but then I guess we shouldn't be keeping animals in zoos so they can be studied so we can try and avoid species becoming extinct. Nope. And farm animals who want to chase sheep and cattle, well they may as well ban that given our farmers are already struggling to keep their farms viable. Yep, time for a big change in how we do things around here people!

RSPCA why can't you focus on one of the most dreadful issues we have in this country relating to the abuse of animals - puppy farming, and worry about challenging thinking on that????? As our national body on animal welfare how about leading the way on this issue by putting some pressure on creating national and enforceable legislation?

Sorry what was that? You're too busy planning a wanky scientific seminar? Shall I call back later then?

I train my dogs not to pee in my house, thwarting their natural behaviour of marking their territory.

I'm a monster.

Speaking of thwarting natural behaviours.. I wonder how much of a chance dogs on puppy farms get to express natural behaviours.. Maybe they could study that :rofl:

What is it going to take for all people in Australia to wake up and see what is happening?

Ok so now we going to pay for this with our tax dollars and we already know what they will make it prove. It will prove that training dogs is bad, haveing dogs do work is bad. Farmers are bad. I am sure there will be something else I left out that is bad.

We know they are going after the working sheepdogs in this country, all the recent activity, studies and surveys. And I can guess that as usualy the dog world will polarize again and no one will come to the aid of the working dog owners after all theri dogs are not show dogs, not dd dogs and some would even say not pets (in fact thei are often the farmers best friend).

It is so so very depressing.

The 2011 Scientific Seminar will explore the animal welfare implications of training animals by asking how our attempts to modify animal behaviour affect the animals themselves. Is making animals work for our own purposes justified? How do we motivate animals to perform, or behave the way we want them to, and do any of them actually enjoy it? Can we use training to improve the welfare of individual animals? And are the training methods used always acceptable, even when they are out of public view?

Bolded to say, are they for real? This statement makes me suspect that they have never seen a happy working dog, seeing as they seem to find the idea so incredible.

Have they never left the university grounds to see how dogs are actually used in real life? The dogs I have seen working out in the real world (SAR, farm dogs, customs dogs, police dogs) all absolutely loved their jobs.

Most dog jobs employ instincts & drives that the dogs like, even need, to have satisfied. The dogs that don't have the drive to do the job or earn the reward simply don't get used. After all, why on earth would you want to rely on a team-mate who would rather not be there?

Edited by Staranais