Just Curious

moosmum

Just remembered a few incidents where a dog who appeared to be "after" another animal or dog,instead of biting or attacking just sits on it?

I've seen this a few times,once with a dog who had my cat cornered and last time a 1yo. staffy who sat on a dobe pup.

Anyone know the significance of this behaviour?

Just remembered a few incidents where a dog who appeared to be "after" another animal or dog,instead of biting or attacking just sits on it?

I've seen this a few times,once with a dog who had my cat cornered and last time a 1yo. staffy who sat on a dobe pup.

Anyone know the significance of this behaviour?

If I'm right, its to show them that they are the 'boss'.

I would see it as a correction, when one dog thinks the other is being rude or overly playful... Can easily see that happening with a pup, not so sure about the cat though!

That would not fit the behaviour in this case,the pup had been badly injured by adult dogs previously and was very nervous around other dogs,here to gain confidence with my bitch.I missed seeing it happen but rushed out when I heard the pup scream.Was told the reason by those present at the time(visitors who owned the staffy. :) )

In both cases the "victim' would have been acting more like prey.I just don't see why sit on it?

Edited by moosmum

Charch sits on Asha all the time. He will just walk on over and plonk his fat bum on her.

He has been known to sit on her head and she just lets him :)

I just always thought he was showing her he was the boss. It's never aggressive and they are the best of mates. She couldnt care less :swear:

Edited by becandcharch

I want to know why they sit on me :bolt:

Dozed off on the sofa one day & was dreaming I was being suffocated.

I was.

Woke up to find 1 dog asleep on my head, a cat across my neck, 2 dogs on my chest & belly, a cat on my crutch :rofl: & 2 dogs on my legs & feet.

There were 2 other sofas & 3 dog beds there for them. All empty.

I want to know why they sit on me :bolt:

Dozed off on the sofa one day & was dreaming I was being suffocated.

I was.

Woke up to find 1 dog asleep on my head, a cat across my neck, 2 dogs on my chest & belly, a cat on my crutch :rofl: & 2 dogs on my legs & feet.

There were 2 other sofas & 3 dog beds there for them. All empty.

Stacks On!! :rofl:

We went camping with the dogs once and I was woken by a weight slamming into me.A Rottie had wandered into the camp and when my 6 month pup saw it she leaped on top of me to bark at it. Scared the cr*p outof us both I think.

Edited by moosmum

Our bigger older dog will either sit or lie on top of our little younger dog...usually when shes being especially annoying and he pins her then starts biting her and its like hes saying "there is nothing you can do little lady"

And sometimes our little dog sits on our big dog...fully though. If he is laying down she climbs up on top and sits on his back

Charlie use to lay on top of Emmy when Emmy was more little to calm her down... it was the only way he can get her to stop moving :) I think she use to make him dizzy.

Emmy sits on my feet but I think it's a comfort thing. If she is a little unsure of something, she comes to me and sit on my feet and leans against me. She does the same with Charlie if I'm not around. She leans against Charlie when she is unsure. She isnt allow to sit on Charlie.