Barking

Dame Aussie

Hey all,

Just after ideas to nip some barking in the bud.

Next door is having their house renovated/restumped and both the dogs have been barking at the builders a lot.

We are going to put up some bamboo sheeting on the fence to raise it a bit higher in the hopes that if they cant see them they might give up on it?

Does anyone know of any ways to train them out of it or have any other suggestions?

Thanks guys :)

LOL, I have a backyard, with 6'+ Colourbond fencing around it. My guys have just decided to bark at the cat that saunters along the nextdoor flat roof deliberately taunting the dogs.

What frustrates me is dogs go for two, one hour walks a day, plus go out for obedience training, up the street for a coffee walk ie I go and have a coffee at the coffee shop, up the street to go to the shops. Out for a drive in the car, of to the beach for a swim, lots of time with me doing things. BUT The minute I put my guys out for a loo stop they start barking at this cat.

I have tried spraying the cat with water but I am at my wits end, this has been going on for the last week.

So sorry to hyjack the thread but please could someone make some suggestions.

Teach them to 'leave it', works for mine :)

It also works for us, we use the word "off" or "enough".....And I think dogs are better seeing things. if they only hear they will bark more. And if the builders are friendly, how about an intro. We did that with our builders.

Hey all,

Just after ideas to nip some barking in the bud.

Next door is having their house renovated/restumped and both the dogs have been barking at the builders a lot.

We are going to put up some bamboo sheeting on the fence to raise it a bit higher in the hopes that if they cant see them they might give up on it?

Does anyone know of any ways to train them out of it or have any other suggestions?

Thanks guys :)

Are you at home when the builders are working and the dogs are barking?

Or are you not at home at those times and have been told about the barking?

If you are at home then I suggest that you do some serious work with them, and if necessary, use an untrasonic training aid. Select a word that they respect and respond to and couple it with a little shot from the UTA. After a time every time they hear that word they will think "Uh oh, the ZAPPER is coming too!" and if they are really smart they will know that they only cop the zapper when they have been barking.

If you are not at home when the barking is happening, then that is a whole other story, and you might need the dogs to be elsewhere while the builders are working.

Most neighbourhoods these days will not tolerate continued barking, and do not want to hear the reasons. They just want the barking stopped.

Souff

Thanks Souff, we are at home when they do it.

As the other poster said whenever we let them out for a pee they just go off.

Normally they can't see the builders, they can just hear them.

Its not too much of a nusaince now as whenever they bark I stop them immediately, but I just worry about sometime having to leave them outisde and it being a nuisance.

My old dog used to bark at the sound of nail guns... two short barks for every shot of the gun.

We ended up taking her one day to a friends building site, and she had to put up with the nail gun all day... she soon got tired of the noise once she knew where it was coming from, and stopped barking at that noise after that.

If the neighbours and builders are OK.. why not load up with treats, and have an orchestrated 'meet&greet' :rofl: Maybe once the dogs realise that it's just people- who may or may not feed them treats , and teh dogs realise what/who is making teh noise, they may settle?

Yeah I think I'll ask them, that's the thing they love people, they just don't love "strange" people making loud noise :bolt: