Now I Am Totally Confused!

rexiam

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can afford a second hand 40D that'd be a good buy.

I use my 50D on ISO 1600 all the time.... this shot for eg was taken in the same Gorilla enclosure at Taronga.

work.3611921.2.flat,550x550,075,f.coy.jpg

40D? What brand of camera Tess?

That pic is just divine ;) A gorgeous photo and something my little ol camera is never going to achieve!

I just love Gorillas and could have stayed there all day....except for the crowds of people! We got there at the keeper talk and there were at least 100 plus people :confused:

Edited by rexiam

Tess is talking about a Canon. The 40D was much loved but has been superceded now by the 50D and just recently the 60D has come out. You wouldn't get a new 40D but you might get one 2nd hand.

Right now at DWI the 50D is actually cheaper than the 550D although the 550D has video as well.

Tess is talking about a Canon. The 40D was much loved but has been superceded now by the 50D and just recently the 60D has come out. You wouldn't get a new 40D but you might get one 2nd hand.

Right now at DWI the 50D is actually cheaper than the 550D although the 550D has video as well.

Is a video really an important thing? Does it take a good video? I have the video capabilities on my camera and never use it :confused:

Is a video really an important thing? Does it take a good video? I have the video capabilities on my camera and never use it :confused:

It's not important if you dont want it. If I was you I'd and I had the funds, out of those 2 I'd go for the 50D

Dont forget though, there's extra costs on top of that. It's body only, plus you need a CF card and a camera bag, and lenses. I've heard JB Hi fi sometimes do pretty good deals. Maybe if you go in armed with the info and prices of what you want you might be able to negotiate. It's like buying a car or house, you always end up spending more than you'd budgeted

Edited by Kirislin

It's not important if you dont want it. If I was you I'd and I had the funds, out of those 2 I'd go for the 50D

Dont forget though, there's extra costs on top of that. It's body only, plus you need a CF card and a camera bag, and lenses. I've heard JB Hi fi sometimes do pretty good deals. Maybe if you go in armed with the info and prices of what you want you might be able to negotiate. It's like buying a car or house, you always end up spending more than you'd budgeted

I hadn't thought of it like buying a car :( Yes, i can imagine I will spend more :laugh:

The three number Canon DLSRs are the entry level - from 300D up to 550D etc.

The 20 - 60D are the medium level range, suitable for most people anyway. They are generally more solid in build.

I can't remember which cameras don't have it (I know my old 350D did not), but make sure you have spot metering available on it.

The 20 - 60D are the medium level range, suitable for most people anyway. They are generally more solid in build.

I can't remember which cameras don't have it (I know my old 350D did not), but make sure you have spot metering available on it.

Ok....now what is spot metering!

There are different metering modes on cameras....it is basically what area of the scene is taken into account when exposing the image.

With spot metering for example, you can choose to expose a tiny area of the scene correctly. This photo is a good example. I used spot metering to expose JUST the Flamingo correctly, and because the Flamingo was is so much contrast with how light the subject is compared to the rest of the scene, I can effectively 'black out' the rest of the image.

work.3082596.5.flat,550x550,075,f.mirrors.jpg

If I'd just used a metering mode that exposes based on the average light in the whole scene, then I'd end up seeing the dirty, boring water behind the Flamingo.

There are different metering modes on cameras....it is basically what area of the scene is taken into account when exposing the image.

With spot metering for example, you can choose to expose a tiny area of the scene correctly. This photo is a good example. I used spot metering to expose JUST the Flamingo correctly, and because the Flamingo was is so much contrast with how light the subject is compared to the rest of the scene, I can effectively 'black out' the rest of the image.

work.3082596.5.flat,550x550,075,f.mirrors.jpg

If I'd just used a metering mode that exposes based on the average light in the whole scene, then I'd end up seeing the dirty, boring water behind the Flamingo.

Another stunning shot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rexiam- you might enjoy THIS article and , if you found it helpful.. there are heaps more on that site :mad

I am subscribed to them! Not that its helped me much in terms of my uncertainty :eek:

I think talking to others with cameras helps. :o

If did not have DOL I would have seriously considered the Finepix HS10 as I would've listened to the salesman , as he raved and raved! eek:

I like the Canon 500D

The Lumix is a great little P&S, so personally I would avoid the Finepix (because essentially, it's a P&S) and get a DSLR.

ETA And your zoo shots are certainly not bad :eek: I think a lot of people automatically equate a DSLR with awesome photos, but that's not the case. And that sounds harsher than I meant it to, but I don't have the brains today to word it correctly.

Edited by huga

I think a lot of people automatically equate a DSLR with awesome photos, but that's not the case.

This so true!

Whilst with a DSLR and appropriate lenses , one can produce shots like Tess's gorilla juvenile .. up close and sharp as sharp .. it is certainly NOT just the camera body and lens which dictates this .

The camera operator must have an 'eye' for composition, and a feel for the subject for any photo to be able to speak to the viewer :mad

I know photographers who are technically perfect .. but their photos have no soul :eek:

have not yet read all the posts, but definitely thinking he gets a better % from that sale than the DSLR - a bridge camera is not better, in fact they can be even more cumbersome to use since many of the controls are buried within the menus on the screen, and not controlled by buttons , and there is still a lag - as well as my 2 babies, the Canon 5DII and the Nikon D700, I have a Lumix which I can control aperture, ISO, shutter speed etc same as the DSR< but it still has that lag & drives me crazy with it, but it is used by me only if we are gong somewhere I don't want to take the weight of the DSLR & lenses, or for my kids to take pictures while I am using the DSLR. Go for the DSLR, you will not regret it, and as for Nikon vs Canon, it is like Ford vs Holden - both are good in their own way, but would stick with either of them & not go for any ft the others, - they have not been in the business so long for nothing.

I agree that when a lot of people get their first DSLR, they get a rude awakening. At first (depending on lens) they can be harder to get a good shot, even on auto.

agree - there is also a learning curve - like riding a bicycle or driving a manual car, sometimes it takes a while for it to all come together and be 2nd nature, but after a while, it all starts to click (pun intended!!!) Practice is the key, and also getting to know all your lenses, and all different sorts of lighting conditions - that way you will know straightaway what lens and settings you want when you see something and be able to capture the look you want (like the flamingo above), and not lose the shot fumbling to make changes instead.