Concussed Dog?

LizT

My two Cavalier girls were roaring up and down the house on Tuesday night, my OH was sitting at the computer, he turned in his swivel chair and yelled at them to "cut it out" or "stop that you two"! The younger one, Crissy, got a fright, turned around very quickly and slammed head first into the wall unit. :confused:

I wont go into detail about what I said to my OH suffice to say he feels like "sh12" and is kicking himself about what happened. I know he has a loud booming voice..but really there is no excuse and he agrees. He's big, she's little, shouldn't have happened like that.

I was outside at the time and my son (age 20) came out to tell me that "Something had happened" (my OH wouldn't tell him more than "the dogs were mucking around??) and that Crystal was 'squinting' alot. She seemed okay except for the fact that when she stares at you, after a few moments she closes both her eyes most of the way and squints at you. There was no swelling or visibly damage and I had a 4am start and a 4 hours each way drive to Gippsland the next morning to collect a pony so my son was looking after her and the puppies until my return at about 3pm. She seemed bright and her usual self still in the morning but was still closing her eyes on occassion. My son texted me several times to say she seemed better and was keeping her eyes open so that was good. However when I returned home I found that she was 'light sensitive' and her lids were droopy still and she was still closing them on occasion, so I rang the Vets and off we went. Seems she had coped with the natural filtered light of day but when house lights were switched on she was uncomfortable again.

After examining her thoroughly he declared she had some 'blunt trauma', her pupils were not responding as quickly as they normally would to light and that she was 'light sensitive' at present, hence the partial closing of her eyes. Fortunately there is no major damage to her eyes or socket area. She is now on on pain killers to make her more comfortable (Rimadyl 1/2 morning and night) and eye drops 3 or 4 times a day (Maxidex) until the weekend and twice a day on Saturday and Sunday. She should be okay after that. I was relieved and told the Vet I was worried she may have done some serious damage like broken an eye socket or detached a retina..and he laughed at me as he knew I was laying a huge guilt trip on my OH. My Vet knows me well. I was. OH actually took us to the Vets AND paid the bill. My youngest daughter (age 10) said he was patting Crystal before we left and promised her he would never yell at her again.

So maybe next time they are being silly and running up and down he will just quietly stop them.

She's much better this morning, the squinting has stopped, not sure if it's because of the painkillers or eyedrops or both but she's definitely happier! ;)

I have to admit if I hadn't been so worried I would have been chuckling at her...she did look comical staring at me through squinted eyes. She did that once in the Show Ring on a very sunny day last summer, facing the full glare of sun :confused: and the Judge let us all go stand in the shade outside the ring after we'd done our individual workouts!

Edited by LizT

I hope Crissy is on the mend and not too upset by all this. I must say I feel sorry for your OH, can you imagine how guilty he is feeling. I think it is really sweet how he said he is never going to yell at her again.

Yeah...and he said it at the Vets too...and the Vet add..."well not this week anyway"! LOL

I must admit I was pretty angry with him at the time but I could see he was beating himself up too 'cos when I said "if she's got a serious problem I may not forgive you" ...and he added..."I may not forgive myself". He is quite relieved.

Edited by LizT

Glad to hear that Crissy is ok and that OH learnt his lesson.

My two pups sound like a heard of Elephants when they are playing Zoomies around the couch.

BB

Oh they would too! Mine look like a cross betwen "Bambi" and a "speed Skater"...it get a bit too vocal which I think was the issue and even though I trim the hairs between their pads they still go sideways on the turns.....polished timber floors I'm afraid. Although this "accident" was due to a 'quick turn and flee' rather than an 'out of control' slide.