Canon Vs. Nikon

Kickss

Looking at upgrading (but decided I can't bear to part with my original DSLR, it taught me everything, including paitence) to either....

Canon 60D

or

Nikon D90

Both weigh into the same catergory, the only thing swaying me towards the Canon is the megapixels (18 vs 12... hello!)

Anyone tell me your thoughts, going to have a play tomorrow, firstly they have to "feel" right in my hands, sounds silly I know but I can't STAND the feel of any other camera brand in my hand. They're too small and the shutter buttons are angled weird :thumbsup:

Thanks Guys!

Have you read much about the 60D. I haven't paid much attention but I got the feeling there was a bit of disappointment over on POTN.

What about the 50D? which is really cheap, REALLY cheap over at DWI right now. Not sure why but it's cheaper than the 550D.

Edited by Kirislin

I agree, I don;t think you can go wrong with either, depends on how it feels and how it feels. When I went looking for a camera I was intending to buy a Nikon but found the Canon more comfortable and liked the menu better, so went Canon, but others prefer the Nikon

There's a reason that there is always the rivalry between canon and nikon - they are so very hard to choose between because they're both great brands who have awesome cameras.

Personally, I'm a canon girl because i like the feel of them in my hands, but i know nikon people and they say exactly the same thing about their cameras!

are Nikon more expensive? I've heard that the lenses can be more costly than Canon but I am not sure if it's true.

Yes, they are a little bit more expensive. RRP for the 50mm 1.8 is around $200 for Nikon and around $150 for Canon.

Hey guys!

Thanks so much, I've decided to ditch the idea of the 60D, there were too many things I didn't like on it and it was too small wfor my hands.

I've decided, after falling in love with the weight, balance, feel, menu layout...

I'm getting the 7D

The nice guys at Photo Continental were there to help me out, I had a Nikon and a Canon buff there and we talked, tested, shot, argued. In the end. The 7D won out.

:grouphug:

phwoarrrrr!!!!! you better add yourself in here then.

Have you committed to buying it from the shop you went into yet. It's very cheap at DWI.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...=203980&hl=

I will as soon as it's mine!

That is SUPER cheap!! Ugh, do they always stay that price? around that priceanyway, Photo continental are great guys but... DOUBLE THE PRICE eep!

I'm soooooo book marking that site! buy buy buy!!!

Both weigh into the same catergory, the only thing swaying me towards the Canon is the megapixels (18 vs 12... hello!)

Just remember that everything in digitals is a sacrifice - the more megapixels then tends to mean that the noise level is not handled quite as well, so you need to determine which you are prepared to sacrifice - noise level at high ISO or megapixels

A huge megapixel count like 18 vs 12 is only really going to make a difference if you are wanting to go billboard size with your pictures - for the average man on the street, 12 is more than plenty

FWIW I personally believe at the moment Nikon has the upper hand in the battle (and I shoot both Nikon & Canon)

Just remember that everything in digitals is a sacrifice - the more megapixels then tends to mean that the noise level is not handled quite as well, so you need to determine which you are prepared to sacrifice - noise level at high ISO or megapixels

A huge megapixel count like 18 vs 12 is only really going to make a difference if you are wanting to go billboard size with your pictures - for the average man on the street, 12 is more than plenty

FWIW I personally believe at the moment Nikon has the upper hand in the battle (and I shoot both Nikon & Canon)

Thanks for your input, I'm still reading reviews and researching, Dad has had an input and said to wait and test the D7000 from Nikon. I think I will, Nothing is set in stone as yet.

Krislin - As long as our Aussie dollar stays strong for the next few months... I'll be pumped! instead of 6 months I could be looking at 3! (the price of working a low paying job! grr!)

Guest Tess32

Or if you like to crop a lot...

OLYMPUS!!!!

But i would recommend sticking with the same brand so you can keep using your glass save having to buy new ones

Originally I bought my D70 with one VERY basic lens, second hand. Dad bought me a Non CPU lens which I love and use all the time. Other then that. I have no others.

So I wouldn't be sacrificing much in that aspect. I've being reading basic and in depth reviews all day, I'm still decding but pretty keen on the 7D, along with doing a course!!