We Have Started Bike Riding With Our Dogs

lanabanana

Not to be a party-pooper ;) , but I think in some states it's illegal to ride a bike with a dog on a lead...I think this has been discussed on the forum before.....

I know it is against the law in WA, but I don't know in SA.....

ETA: It is illegal in SA.."LEADING AN ANIMAL

You must not lead (on a leash or any other leading device) an

animal from a vehicle, including a bicycle."

;) Is it, geez I've biked with my Aussie girl past the police in WA not all that long ago, maybe just as well I've just bought a treadmill. Mind you I also bought a new bike to continue biking her (we pranged the last one so now I have a much smaller one). Given that they give us so few of leash areas and the ones we do get are usually unsuitable being on main roads or overgrown and potholey how are people mean't to exercise big dogs properly. Even on the bike my dog rarely breaks out of a trot and me walking her she practically has to walk backwards as I only take small steps. Just as well she loves the treadmill, I turned it on this morning while she was outside hoping to get some exercise myself and as soon as she heard it she was in like a shot and on it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just bought a walkydog for my hubby so he can take our 40kg lab on a ride. They both LOVE it! The dog comes back tired, hubby comes back tired....makes for a nice quiet evening at our house. I'm going to get a walkydog for my bike so i can take our smaller dog out also.

Awwww your bringing back memories of my dogs in Scotland. I used to cycle with TJ the saluki by my side and Tyke the papillion in a backpack (he would run alonside for a while untill I decided he'd had enough). Luckily we lived in a small town where he was even allowed to come into all the shops when he was in the backpack, he loved getting spoiled by all of the shop keepers. :rainbowbridge: I miss my boys so much.

My viz loves to run by the bike. SHe's very savvy, stays with the bike, always on the left to be on the 'safe' side not the road side. She has a 'bike ' collar, high vis, and OH has his high vis shirt on. It's really the ONLY way to wear her out properly, apart from the beach which is not always suitable.

My spin likes a short trot but is unable to go too far, so I would like a 'trailer' for her when she needs it.

I remember seeing a photo of prince fredercik with his son, on a bike with a border collie :( . the bike had 2 wheels at the front and between the 2 wheels was a perspex 'box' with the little prince sitting in it :rainbowbridge::) really cute and he could see everything etc. very safe too.

I'd LOVE that, especially as I am awful and wobbly on a 2 wheeler(only having ridden in the last 3 years) and have come off a few times. At my age it's not great!! :cry::(

It is an australian national road rule - ie illegal in any state or territory that receives federal funding for road maintenance.

http://www.ntc.gov.au/ViewPage.aspx?documentid=00794

Essentially you are not allowed to lead an animal while in/on a vehicle including bicycles, or attach it to the vehicle while it is moving. And animal includes horses and dogs and well any animal.

A bit nanny state if you ask me but there have been horrific accidents caused by this.

The definition of australian road is a bit vague - in some states it definitely includes public bike paths and verges and footpaths along side roads.

But unless the police hate you, you have an accident (void insurance cover) or someone else reports you as a traffic hazard - then I doubt anybody is going to enforce it.

OH used to cycle with the dogs on lead (one at a time, he never took them together), but stopped for a couple of reasons. One was the loose dogs that used to rush out at them. Our dogs would often veer sharply to avoid the loose dogs and OH was worried about the bike being pulled off balance. The other reason was that Emmylou, our kelpie x acd, would tow the bike along. It didn't matter how fast he pedaled, she wanted to go faster! His bike computer clocked her at 26kmh once! At that pace and with the dog steadly pulling he didn't have a lot of control and worried about coming off. It was fantastic exercise for them, though. It's a pity that we don't have any bike paths where we can run the dogs off lead alongside the bike here. We have paths, but they have to be on lead.

OH used to cycle with the dogs on lead (one at a time, he never took them together), but stopped for a couple of reasons. One was the loose dogs that used to rush out at them. Our dogs would often veer sharply to avoid the loose dogs and OH was worried about the bike being pulled off balance. The other reason was that Emmylou, our kelpie x acd, would tow the bike along. It didn't matter how fast he pedaled, she wanted to go faster! His bike computer clocked her at 26kmh once! At that pace and with the dog steadly pulling he didn't have a lot of control and worried about coming off. It was fantastic exercise for them, though. It's a pity that we don't have any bike paths where we can run the dogs off lead alongside the bike here. We have paths, but they have to be on lead.

26 k's! Not bad!

I will definitely get told off for this, but years ago when we had a dog who had to run, the only way we could tire him out and get even a coupl eof hours peace, was to take him down the river and make him run behind the car. We got him at 50 ks once...honestly, I swear that was what the speedo said. I remeber tapping the dash and saying to the OH "that cant be right" and him saying "I am pretty sure the speedo is reasonably accurate" and then as soon as we said that he fell back...so he only managed it for about 30 seconds if that. I will get flamed for that but meh, we were driving fast so he would stay behind us but run flat out because he was one energetic little mofo who really needed to run (boxer/staffy x - that mix is just a little power pack), obviously we expected him to just fall behind and run hard out to catch up.

Perhaps the speedo was out big styles, it never happened again so I will never know, wish I had got it on video though (however, I did regularly see him run at about 25kph and he always looking like he was out for a leisurely stroll - slight exaggeration but ya get my drift loL).

He must have been pretty fast though because one time, he escaped and the dog ranger had to chase him in the car. When the ranger finally worked out where he lived, he told us the dog was so quick he had almost had trouble keeping up with him in the car LOLOL (man I miss that dog)

There I go off on one of my off topic rambles.

Anyways, back to the biking. We are all loving it so far. The OH takes our big boy out more than the wee girl and they go just the two of them. I believe my OH does not have to peddle at all and the dog just pulls him the whole way unless he is told to wait (at an intersection or summin). He always comes back with a massive doggy grin on his face though and is fully adoring of his dad for hours afterwards LOL

EDIT: To add, neither if our current dogs are particularly fast LMAO, in fact, Barney is so slow hes almost going backwards LMAO

Edited by lanabanana

Hi all,

I'm glad to see there are others that like biking with dogs, I have been doing this for quite a few years now and don't want to blow my own trumpet but would say I am relatively experience at it.

I have an Amstaff and a JRT. The Amstaff just flies but the JRT needs a few breaks and has become very good at balancing on the top rail and handle bars so gets to cruise up there for a lot of the ride.

I have a sled dog harness for the Amstaff that I got from Windchill and the JRT has a standard harness also from Winchill, both are great products. I think proper harnesses are a must and it shouldn't be done on collar.

I recommend the sled dog harness as it helps keep the dog going straight out in front because of where the lead attaches (above the tail). I wouldn't recommend it for small dogs though.

Also it pays to have a lead with some built in flexibility to reduce shock on the dogs. Windchill also sells these but I make my own with 25mm nylon tube tape and 6mm bungy cord. Tie 2 knots in the end of the bungy feed it into the tube tape, zip tie one knot in place from the outside then bunch the tube tape up and zip tie the other end. Works great and lasts for years.

It's not without danger particularly for small dogs, It would be possible to break a dogs back or legs if you were to ride over him/her.

Other things to keep in mind are:

Loose dogs - stick to open places where possible.

Concrete footpaths - try to stick to grass as it's easier on the dogs paws and legs. It's also better exercise for the humans.

Keep the lead well away from the tyres, if the tyre grabs the lead it will pull the dog in towards the tyre, it happens quickly and you only have a moment to react. I prefer to tie the dogs directly to the center of the handle bars giving me two hands for control and braking. It increases the risk of having the front tyre grab the lead but is safer than holding the lead in your hand IMO.

Also make sure you stop for a drink/swim and rest if going on a long ride, because they love it so much mine will just keep going and I am very careful not to overexert them.

As for the legalities, well I have passed the police countless times without incident, I think you would have to be unlucky.

I have tried to upload a a pic of my setup but it's too big I think.Any suggestions how to do this?? I can email it to anyone interested, just PM me.

I hope this helps. Be safe and have fun!

Part of doing it responsibly is teaching the dog to stay on the left and by the bike, not out in front towing you along. I also had to teach Benson he couldn't pee on every tree we'd pass, and to ignore other dogs. A few times I had to make a rapid stop when he saw something he wanted to lift his leg on, so just went and did it.

I used to bike him down a bike path, past the police station, turn around and go back.

I have started biking Dusty, although she's done it before with my husband when I was training Benson for his ET. We'd all go for big lokng bike rides and she loved it. I stopped for a while but have started training her now and she is so well behaved. She just stays right next to the bike and being a girl, doesn't need to lift her leg. She's never been one to bother with other dogs, she's ery focussed on me and it's a delight to take her out for a run.

Have not read the tread but VERY dangerous practice....

Ask BBJ :(:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheer: ;) :D :( :( :( :( :(

First NO HELMET came off crack her skull very damaged, 12 hours in emergy off work a week Still seedy 3 weeks later.

Bike need repair.

Fast forward 4 months after bike returned from repair shop.

Slit chin needed stiches sore wrist, still sore 2 months later.

Bike not repaired yet. ;) :D :D :D :D

Have not read the tread but VERY dangerous practice....

Ask BBJ :D :laugh: :D :( :p :p :):rofl::eek: :eek: :)

First NO HELMET came off crack her skull very damaged, 12 hours in emergy off work a week Still seedy 3 weeks later.

Bike need repair.

Fast forward 4 months after bike returned from repair shop.

Slit chin needed stiches sore wrist, still sore 2 months later.

Bike not repaired yet. :) :D :D :D :D

Oh no, that's terrible!

I am pretty crap on a bike anyway, I have ridden into the back of a parked car whislt going fast - fully face planted, and also not watched where I was going and had the front wheel go down a crack and me fully over the handle bars LOL.

However, I find having the dog means I concentrate a bit more so haven't had any accidents yet.

The OH did on our first bike ride though. A pole was coming and he wasn't aware of it and went round one side while the dog went round th eother. He went crashing down off the footpath and rolled out onto the road...I cautiously called out "are you ok" while my daughter got ready to cry in case he was injured and the dog quickly bolted back to me thinking he was in trouble. Then the OH went "ahhh f*$% sake" and I knew he was ok so started laughing LOL

There are 2 types of bike attachments that you can get, I have a springer, there is another one also. They are the safest things to use when exercising your dog with your bike. They lower the centre of gravity and attach to the main frame of your bike. They also have a quick release for emergency situations. Using these leave your hands free to hold the handle bar rather than attaching the lead to your hand and if the dog pulls your bike is pulled over too. They are inexpensive and worth every penny.

LMAO, how much of a knob would I look like on a kids bike with a basket or a trailer

I am laughing just picturing myself.

You have more control over the bike if the basket is at the back..... :D

5064679528_9716905ef9.jpg

:D :laugh:

bwhahaha that is gorgeous!

OMG your sig, Nandi is soooo cute!!! Looks a bit like my wee mutt, scruffy and naughty, I love it

Not to be a party-pooper :D , but I think in some states it's illegal to ride a bike with a dog on a lead...I think this has been discussed on the forum before.....

I know it is against the law in WA, but I don't know in SA.....

Ahh thanks. Yea history may make it more likely to get in trouble (I have a brother with history too).

Hmm May need to do some research just in case...I dont mind breaking that particular law, especially if the fine is small but might just check it up anyway.

We will likely just stick to going at night though when not many people around.

I am not sure if it's illegal or not, but I live in Sydney Eastern Suburbs, and have actually crossed the road in front of police on my bike with my dog and they waited for us when it wasn't even a pedestrian crossing - this was on the way to Centennial park. I know it's not allowed in the park, but we have managed to train the dog to run along off lead next to the bike track in the off-lead sections. This is also good because I think he gets sore paws from running on the road, but he's fine on the grass. My dog loves it too and it's about the only way I can tire him out!

I have only biked my dog when training for her ET.

She was trained to go on the left hand side and not pull. She was taught steady to slow her down if need be. She was never much past the pedals so if I turned she wasn't in danger of getting run over, sometimes she forged ahead a bit, but not often and never pulled the lead.

We did see a fox once and even then she steady when told.

I also do not have the worry of loose dogs.

OMG your sig, Nandi is soooo cute!!! Looks a bit like my wee mutt, scruffy and naughty, I love it

She's not naughty ... just look at that innocent face.... :laugh:

What breed is Pippi... she sounds like a doggy that loves life. :D

She's not naughty ... just look at that innocent face.... :laugh:

What breed is Pippi... she sounds like a doggy that loves life. :D

Oh she loves pretty much anything, ESPECIALLY getting up to mischeif. She will find something naughty and then check to see if we are watching her - quite funny.

She is just a wee mutt, foxy/shih tzu mix but has a similar look (doesnt look like your girl but she does if you knwo what Imean) to your wee girl....below

PC310106-1.jpg