Those Awesome Moments

Not anything really special but I just have to share a 'moment' I had today.

I took Daisy out late this afternoon to our local park to do a training session, we've only been there a couple of times before as we've only just moved into the area. Was having a good training session and thought I'd let Daisy go for an off leash romp around the field as there was no one else around.

We train off leash all the time but this was one of the first times I let her off leash for a real run around in a big open area (I am a bit pedantic about having a very good recall and normally have her on a long line 'just in case').

At first she was hanging around me and wouldn't go anywhere but then had this realisation that I was encouraging her to have a run and sniff and she bolted ahead of me. She picked up a scent quickly and had her nose right into the ground, about 50 meters from me. I called her once and she immediately stopped scenting, turned around and ran as fast as she could back to me ;) I rewarded her and encouraged her to run off again and it became a bit of a game, she would run as fast as she could away from me and then I'd call her and she'd spin back and come rushing back... I'd reward her, release her and she'd run off again ;)

So anyway, my 'moment' was that I realised I'd finally crossed that hurdle of being able to call my scent hound off a scent. She must have recalled off a scent at least half a dozen times tonight, instantly and without even thinking about it. Of course she does it in training all the time and when I have her on the long line but tonight I put it to the test and had her recalling off scents from a large distance (more than 100m). I've never had a dog with a reliable recall before and I never thought I'd be able to get one with Daisy. She used to turn off so much when she was on a scent even waving steak under her nose wouldn't get her attention. I realised my training has paid off and I can let my dog have freedom that I didn't ever think she would have. It is the best feeling ever :dancingelephant:

Does anyone else have any of those moments they can share?

I was at my mother's house recently. At one point Jadir opened her sliding door while I was helping my sister with a job application in another part of the house - he's a bugger with sliding doors, unless they are locked with a key they are fair game. I didn't know he'd got out, didn't think about the door as a possible escape point and my mother only has a stock fence with a mob of roos behind the fence most of the time. So, I am an idiot.

Fortunately tho' Mum called his name and recalled him and he came back inside to her. She was gobsmacked as her SWFs don't. I suppose that is why we train recall, for those idiot moments where you don't think or drop the lead. ;)

A few times during the visit she commented on how well behaved they are. I obsess over everything that isn't perfect (like the recent thread about my dog barking) and tend to forget that most of them time they are better behaved than your average dog. So I had a "OK, actually you two are not that bad" moment which was nice.

On another note entirely, my bitch worked out who the "soft touch" was in the family (my sister) and set up a fishing spot near her. Sis was horrified that I make them sit or drop before getting treats - LOL! So cruel! ;) What I was interested in tho' was how quickly the dogs picked up on which human was the weakest link.

Had one of these Friday evening - drove in the driveway with both dogs in the back of the wagon to see my neighbours cat* stalking birds in the front garden. I knew Zee seen it as she started her usual high pitched yodelling. Great opportunity to test just how good her crate games are as well as her recall. :wave:

Opened the tailgate and said nothing. She sat right on the edge of the rear section and whined and carried on but she stuck to the rules. I gave her release word, of course the cat took off with Zee in hot pursuit. Called Zee once and she spun instantly back to me. She got the good bikkies as a reward for that one. :dancingelephant:

*Before I get flamed for allowing Zee to chase a cat.... neighbours cat is "free range" - it toilets in my garden, chases the native birds that feed off my native trees and teases my dogs by sitting on and prowling the boundary fence. It is often in my back yard and I have seen it up on my back deck when the dogs have been inside. Both dogs get along with my own cat fine, it is just this one which intrudes on their territory so often. ;) It gets chased out of the back yard regularly but it continues to wander - I gather it is not too traumatised by the experience. ;)

Huski! That's fantastic! I do know what you mean. Sadly I still havent got Tango to the point where I could let him off the lead and he'd come like that - so I am very envious :) But Pepper does it every time ever since she was little.

Thanks :dancingelephant: I was so proud especially because she never used to be like that and I never thought we would get there.

I was at my mother's house recently. At one point Jadir opened her sliding door while I was helping my sister with a job application in another part of the house - he's a bugger with sliding doors, unless they are locked with a key they are fair game. I didn't know he'd got out, didn't think about the door as a possible escape point and my mother only has a stock fence with a mob of roos behind the fence most of the time. So, I am an idiot.

Fortunately tho' Mum called his name and recalled him and he came back inside to her. She was gobsmacked as her SWFs don't. I suppose that is why we train recall, for those idiot moments where you don't think or drop the lead. ;)

A few times during the visit she commented on how well behaved they are. I obsess over everything that isn't perfect (like the recent thread about my dog barking) and tend to forget that most of them time they are better behaved than your average dog. So I had a "OK, actually you two are not that bad" moment which was nice.

On another note entirely, my bitch worked out who the "soft touch" was in the family (my sister) and set up a fishing spot near her. Sis was horrified that I make them sit or drop before getting treats - LOL! So cruel! ;) What I was interested in tho' was how quickly the dogs picked up on which human was the weakest link.

That is classic! What a good boy especially recalling for someone else!

I agree it's funny how dogs can so easily pick the weak link out.

Had one of these Friday evening - drove in the driveway with both dogs in the back of the wagon to see my neighbours cat* stalking birds in the front garden. I knew Zee seen it as she started her usual high pitched yodelling. Great opportunity to test just how good her crate games are as well as her recall. :)

Opened the tailgate and said nothing. She sat right on the edge of the rear section and whined and carried on but she stuck to the rules. I gave her release word, of course the cat took off with Zee in hot pursuit. Called Zee once and she spun instantly back to me. She got the good bikkies as a reward for that one. :wave:

She sounds like such a good dog :(

Out with Riddick and he was in a drop stay next to the table (we where at a cafe). A little girl came running out of nowhere, straight up to him and threw her arms around him.

He didn't budge, just looked at me and wagged his tail :p

This from a puppy who if a stranger looked at him or tried to touch him, he would run terrified to the end of his lead, hackles up and tail tucked between his legs.

I was walking Diesel at the park a month or so ago. I have had to work hard on his recall, much harder than I have to work with the other dogs. I let him off lead and we were doing some training and a dog comes barelling over full pelt from the other side of the park. Luckily it just wanted to say hi, and Diesel is the only one of my dogs who would cope with such a greeting! The other dog then starts running around like a mad thing and Diesel looks like he wants to join in but I call him and he comes back to me and gives me a good front :confused:

Isnt it cool when you know the penny drops for the dog and they undestand the command. Not to mention its a relief when they MUST come for their safety. I was with my pack of four the otherday in the park off leash they are all well behaved - then someone came around the corner riding a horse ( I live in the country it happens sometimes) and I called my guys to heal - which they all did :confused: phew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Not anything really special but I just have to share a 'moment' I had today.

I took Daisy out late this afternoon to our local park to do a training session, we've only been there a couple of times before as we've only just moved into the area. Was having a good training session and thought I'd let Daisy go for an off leash romp around the field as there was no one else around.

We train off leash all the time but this was one of the first times I let her off leash for a real run around in a big open area (I am a bit pedantic about having a very good recall and normally have her on a long line 'just in case').

At first she was hanging around me and wouldn't go anywhere but then had this realisation that I was encouraging her to have a run and sniff and she bolted ahead of me. She picked up a scent quickly and had her nose right into the ground, about 50 meters from me. I called her once and she immediately stopped scenting, turned around and ran as fast as she could back to me :confused: I rewarded her and encouraged her to run off again and it became a bit of a game, she would run as fast as she could away from me and then I'd call her and she'd spin back and come rushing back... I'd reward her, release her and she'd run off again :laugh:

So anyway, my 'moment' was that I realised I'd finally crossed that hurdle of being able to call my scent hound off a scent. She must have recalled off a scent at least half a dozen times tonight, instantly and without even thinking about it. Of course she does it in training all the time and when I have her on the long line but tonight I put it to the test and had her recalling off scents from a large distance (more than 100m). I've never had a dog with a reliable recall before and I never thought I'd be able to get one with Daisy. She used to turn off so much when she was on a scent even waving steak under her nose wouldn't get her attention. I realised my training has paid off and I can let my dog have freedom that I didn't ever think she would have. It is the best feeling ever :cheer:

That is realy fantastic, I have never worried about not being able to recall my dogs until I became the proud owner of a Beagle, okay I said to myself get in the

water, so I took him to the beach off lead, he ran played and swam, with other dogs, everytime I called him with treats of course he came back to me, I am so pleased with my little man although I am only to well aware we have a long way to go, they are smart little dogs, way to go Daisey Beagie

him. I know only to well that nose on the ground

Go Daisy!

I remember the day I called Buster off a rabbit he was 2 feet behind and going flat out. I was so surprised he listened at all.

Edited by busterlove

Congratulations Bec!!! I love those moments. You've done miracles with Daisy!!

I'm the same with Zero - I rarely let him off leash. It's pretty safe at training because Zero is night blind at a distance so if it's not under the lights, he usually can't see it very well. The other night though I had him off leash for a run around with Riddick and Zero starting heading toward to the carpark, kind of squinting into the distance. Suddenly a rabbit ran out from behind a tree and my heart jumped into my mouth (i thought that there was no way he was going to recall off a running, fluffy, delicious rabbit!) but the second i called him, he turned and came back to me.

I know he saw the rabbit and i know he was about to take off after it but he came back to me anyway! I don't think i could have shoved more food in his mouth than I did! :coffee:

Huski

Whatever method you've been using to train that, keep doing it.

I got a really good recall with my dog, and then lapsed on the uber treats and the practice, and recall recently went to hell. We're getting back there now with some new uber treats and dedicated practice.

Even Susan Garrett mentioned you need to keep working at it. Now she's running an ecourse just on recalls.

So congratulations - most beagle owners I know would be insanely jealous, and keep up the good work.

So anyway, my 'moment' was that I realised I'd finally crossed that hurdle of being able to call my scent hound off a scent. She must have recalled off a scent at least half a dozen times tonight, instantly and without even thinking about it. Of course she does it in training all the time and when I have her on the long line but tonight I put it to the test and had her recalling off scents from a large distance (more than 100m). I've never had a dog with a reliable recall before and I never thought I'd be able to get one with Daisy. She used to turn off so much when she was on a scent even waving steak under her nose wouldn't get her attention. I realised my training has paid off and I can let my dog have freedom that I didn't ever think she would have. It is the best feeling ever :)

That is absolutely fantastic work!