Breed Recommendations Please

indigirl

As far as I am aware Basenji's aren't for the faint hearted. I think they're pretty full on to train. The one I met was rescued by a middle aged couple as the original owners didn't know jack about Basenjis and let the dog roam and kill all the native wildlife. :laugh:

Anyway, they've worked very hard on him and after years of work he has become a decent family member, but can never be let off leash because first thing he sees, he will chase and kill. He also doesn't get along with other dogs and still only obeys commands when he's in the mood to.

He is however the only Basenji I have ever met so I have no idea if he is different from the norm or what. :heart:

From my knowledge don't longer coated dogs only have a couple of significant coat drops a year and are otherwise good, whereas short coated breeds tend to just shed 24/7? If the family doesn't mind shedding though as opposed to brushing then perhaps that would be okay?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pugs shed more than most realise. Plus not sure about the dog being outside most of the day my guys do spend a fair deal of time outside during the cooler months ect but not during summer. Its just too hot outside for them.

Apart from the shedding (whihc i agree can be quite bad!), I think a pug would be quite suitable. If kept to an appropriate weight (many aren't sadly) they should be able to be carried by a 10yo. They are pretty robust little dogs and the people obviously like/don't mind the squahesd in face look.

A puggy and a boxer should get on pretty well i think.

There is also the boston terrier (which comes in 2 sizes?), which may be suitable. The larger size is more robust but they can be trained reasonably easily, there are quite a few in our area and one of them in is mindy's puppy class and is really quite an obedient little dog.

Their current dog still need to learn how to walk properly on leash

I'm only suggesting this for now as, any robust dog big or small not taught to walk on leash in the right manner WILL still pull.

ETA. eg, one day a Staffy showed up on our door step, we rang animal management they gave us the owners detail(just down our street), put him on leash, it was pulling like crazy!! Robust & not large but that breed is made really strong..

Edited by ♥Baxter♥

a basenji and a schipperke are not dogs that a 10 year old should be in charge of

if the boxer is not able to be controlled tell them to invest in a pinch collar - much safer. Personally I would be investing more time and effort in to the dog they haev and fix its issues before getting another puppy which may follow suite.

Also a dog the 10 year old wants to carry about - it's on the shelf at Target. I would be wary of small breeds being carried around by children, especially puppies.

Apart from the shedding (whihc i agree can be quite bad!), I think a pug would be quite suitable. If kept to an appropriate weight (many aren't sadly) they should be able to be carried by a 10yo. They are pretty robust little dogs and the people obviously like/don't mind the squahesd in face look.

A puggy and a boxer should get on pretty well i think.

There is also the boston terrier (which comes in 2 sizes?), which may be suitable. The larger size is more robust but they can be trained reasonably easily, there are quite a few in our area and one of them in is mindy's puppy class and is really quite an obedient little dog.

Bostons only come in one size. And are very very hard to get.

And I do agree a pug is suitable excpet for the shedding AND the fact that being a brachy breed they dont cope with the heat and I personally wont be sellin to a home that isnt going to have the dog inside during the hottest part of the day in summer, these guys might be willing to do that but from what the OP said I think they would prefer a dog that can cope with the heat and be left out with its boxer friend during the day. :heart:

I'm only suggesting this for now as, any robust dog big or small not taught to walk on leash in the right manner WILL still pull.

ETA. eg, one day a Staffy showed up on our door step, we rang animal management they gave us the owners detail(just down our street), put him on leash, it was pulling like crazy!! Robust & not large but that breed is made really strong..

I find Staffies pulling more difficult than GSDs :laugh: because they are built like bricks, very powerful with a low centre of gravity. Certainly as a vet nurse having to restrain a dog for a procedure, I would choose a taller leggier breed over a brick any day!

a basenji and a schipperke are not dogs that a 10 year old should be in charge of

if the boxer is not able to be controlled tell them to invest in a pinch collar - much safer. Personally I would be investing more time and effort in to the dog they haev and fix its issues before getting another puppy which may follow suite.

Also a dog the 10 year old wants to carry about - it's on the shelf at Target. I would be wary of small breeds being carried around by children, especially puppies.

I had a Schipperke when I was about that age. Was not as dog savvy then, neither were my parents. OK the dog had a poor recall and was not particularly well trained (unfortunately I was not allowed to bring it to Australia with me when we moved, not my choice as the child). But he was great fun, got along with 4 kids no worries.

I find Staffies pulling more difficult than GSDs :laugh: because they are built like bricks, very powerful with a low centre of gravity. Certainly as a vet nurse having to restrain a dog for a procedure, I would choose a taller leggier breed over a brick any day!

Feels like they were made using a few horses lol :rofl::eek:

Miniature Pinscher

English Toy Spaniel

Chihuahua

Smooth Fox Terrier

Not sure I'd be recommending a Min Pin or Chi to someone with 3 children, one of whom is quite young, and who have a boisterous Boxer. Neither breed is particularly robust or able to handle rough handling from a child or large dog.

Not sure I'd be recommending a Min Pin or Chi to someone with 3 children, one of whom is quite young, and who have a boisterous Boxer. Neither breed is particularly robust or able to handle rough handling from a child or large dog.

On second thoughts, I agree with you. However, these breeds do have low grooming requirements which is a plus for the family.

Basenji's are great dogs for kids.

Especially if reared with a family from an 8 - 9 week old pup.

The greatest problem is that the ones that people see have not always been cared for correctly.

They are what I refer to as primitive breed but none the less, with the right family upbringing will make excellent pets.

tenterfield terrier?

though i've never met one, just seen them and heard about them. but they are short coat, small, robust...

do they mind a wirehaired coat? how about a wirehaired foxy or jrt? or is that too much energy? though i imagine they could keep up and drain energy in the yard with the boxer during the day.

Edited by mackiemad

Pugs shed pretty bad too.

"Robust" makes me think of a Swedish Vallhund, but I'm not 100% sure of their exercise requirements.

:laugh: I think a SV would be perfect. Exercise requirements--they're apparently happy on 30 minutes a day with play time as well but they can go for longer. They're not particularly heavy shedders and you're right, they're very robust dogs.

What about a Whippet.

Lovely clean indoors dog for a child to have.

Way too strong for a 10 year old to walk though I reckon Oakway.. Probably a bit big for one to carry too.

Yes, forgot only 10 years old. :laugh: