Credit Where Credit's Due

KumaAkita

After reading this thread Link I kept thinking to myself "lucky all dog owners are not like this..." and yesterday I saw something that made me happy...

I was walking through downtown Randwick and saw a lady with a baby in a pram, a toddler and a Mini JRT. The dog stopped on the footpath and did the biggest crap I have ever seen :laugh:

There were two old crones walking behind me "betcha she doesn't pick it up...", "I'd put money on it, lazy cow"... But... then the lady stopped her pram, fished out a plastic bag and picked up the poop.

Sure, it's fairly insignificant, but she did the right (responsible) thing and explained to her toddler why she picked was picking up the poo. I felt like hugging her (and blowing a raspberry to the old crones!)

Edited by KumaAkita

I hate that people assume all dog ownders do not pick up poop

because there are many that don't. Many people do the old "turn away and pretend I haven't seen what is happening" trick. That is when I smile, present them with a bag and say " you obviously didn't see him doing his business, here's a bag".

because there are many that don't. Many people do the old "turn away and pretend I haven't seen what is happening" trick. That is when I smile, present them with a bag and say " you obviously didn't see him doing his business, here's a bag".

I have done that too :laugh: also pointed out that if they don't pick it then we will get banned from the area

but still it is the assumption that all do not, they make comments b4 u even get a chance to reach for a bag , sarcastic remarks have been heard in return to same

Oh, I'll be the first to admit I have whistled while Kuma's done his business and walked away. That's only when I have run out of bags and haven't noticed before setting out for our walk. I'm still half asleep when I take him for a walk at 5:30 am! Plus... I have probably missed some when I'm picking it up, coz I'm swiping in the dark! :laugh:

I have also gone back and picked it up the next morning...

wow... that makes me sound bad! I do go back and pick it up... promise. Plus, we're walking around a building site area so there are no residents who's lawns we're messing up. I now check every morning that his poo bag container is on the leash and full!

Edited by KumaAkita

The only poops I refuse to bag are those done in non-human accessible spots. Timmy generally likes an audience so poops on the pavement, but occassionally if, off lead, will head to the depths of bushy areas and relieve himself. I aint crawling in there with a bag! :eek:

I can't understand why anyone wouldn't pick up their dogs poops? It'd be akin to littering or driving without a seat belt for me. Just wouldn't feel right.

efs

Edited by LDR

you know what is worse than not picking it up? people who do actually pick it up but then chuck the bag into the bushes or leave it dangling on a tree and don't comeback for it. There is a tree on the way to the park that has quite a few little "presents" dangling off it at the moment. yuck.

you know what is worse than not picking it up? people who do actually pick it up but then chuck the bag into the bushes or leave it dangling on a tree and don't comeback for it. There is a tree on the way to the park that has quite a few little "presents" dangling off it at the moment. yuck.

Ok that's gross!

What kind of freak does that???

Bizarre ... now I'm imagining poop bag decorated Christmas Trees ...

One of the beaches nearby often has a fence with little "gifts" strung on it. I guess the dog does his doings on the way to the beach and there are no bins nearby so it's strung up and collected on the way back. Or at least you hope it is.

If there's no bin I just clip it to the lead and bin it at home. I honestly think that is the most bizarre logic - picking it up to tie the bag on a fence or tree??

My 5 year old niece *adores* Timmy (and he adores her, although I suspect that's due to the fact she is constantly dropping biscuits, chips etc and so he follows her around adoringly waiting for the next goodie!).

She really loves getting some tissue and picking up his poops to flush them in the loo. So cute a while back when she excitedly said "could we train Timmy to pick up his own poo??". :eek:

efs

Edited by LDR

You could do with picking up some civility in how you refer to older people.

These weren't the type of people one would be civil to. They were nasty, bitter and cranky women. I would have picked another descriptor if it fitted them, but this was the only way to describe them. I had had the pleasure of (unintentionally) overhearing the conversation for a few blocks and can tell you they would complain about winning the lotto, they were bemoaning just about everything else.

Sorry if I have offended you, but that's them apples.

I have done that too :eek: also pointed out that if they don't pick it then we will get banned from the area

but still it is the assumption that all do not, they make comments b4 u even get a chance to reach for a bag , sarcastic remarks have been heard in return to same

And I had this happen to me at my last beach visit. I was walking over to where Sunni had toileted and I clipped her dog lead on and the person near me obviously thought I was about to run away and offered me a bag... at the same time I pulled a bag from my pocket. I must have looked dodgy to them :cry:

One of the beaches nearby often has a fence with little "gifts" strung on it. I guess the dog does his doings on the way to the beach and there are no bins nearby so it's strung up and collected on the way back. Or at least you hope it is.

Yikes... that's charming...

I'm lucky that I live in a new suburb so we have loads of buidlers skip bins that I can chuck Kuma's litte blue poo filled bags in, so they don't stink up my bin :eek: there's quite a few bins with little blue baggies in them...

You could do with picking up some civility in how you refer to older people.

These weren't the type of people one would be civil to. They were nasty, bitter and cranky women. I would have picked another descriptor if it fitted them, but this was the only way to describe them. I had had the pleasure of (unintentionally) overhearing the conversation for a few blocks and can tell you they would complain about winning the lotto, they were bemoaning just about everything else.

Sorry if I have offended you, but that's them apples.

No, they're not apples. They're human beings. Two strangers behind you, & you put yourself in the position of coming up with an assessment of them as 'nasty & bitter'. So now you come up with the 'rider' that you listened to their conversation 'for a few blocks'. Your story rings of contrivance. Did it really happen?

And, I repeat, it's uncivil to refer to older women as 'old crones'.

It amazes me how many left behind I see at the local parks. There are good dog owners and bad. I just couldn't do it.

I always pick up other dog doo on the park regardless if it's my dogs or not. I can't bear the thought of being banned.

It's just second nature to pick it up for me, it came out of my "special lil guy who loves his walkies, don'tcha? Yeah, good heel!", but I must say I am a bit of a freak - I like to use it as an opportunity to check the texture of Timmy's stools. :eek:

I once copped the other end of it (so to speak :cry: ) - I ALWAYS pick up my dog's poo but once I was walking her in my local park, she stopped, I saw she did a wee, and kept walking... Some guy pushing his kid in a pram abused me for not picking up her poo!!! :D

I walked over and explained I could tell she hadn't done one, then he pointed to an old one someone else hadnt picked up! To me it was very obvious it wasn't her poo (aside from seeing her weeing, it was old and dark brown- Honey's are never like that) but I shut up and picked it up anyway, what else could I do? ;)

I quite often pick up other poos that have been left behind (I'd hate a dog hater to punish all of us for one wrong deed), so I was MORTIFIED this guy thought I'd left it behind... :)

Actually, a little OT but on the subject of pooing- I just assume everyone knows the different postures of dogs pooing (back humped right over, bum tucked under) and weeing (front bum low to ground, tail up, back straight, chest up). Makes sense a non dog owner wouldnt, but do all of you? :eek:

Edited by ✽deelee