What Would You Like To See

SparkyTansy

Having been out of the show scene for more than twenty years it is very interesting to see "changes" within many breeds. Weis have become longer with increased hing angulation ....Dobes losing that "rotary" action of the hindquarter, Pomeranians tinier with HUGE coats, Shelties with heavier muzzles ,losing that "sweet" expression.Border collies appear longer with shorter forelegs and shorter croups with tails that appear to come "straight off the back" ...boning and head strenghth could be stronger too As for the continuing debate with the GSD>>>>>> their heads,lenghth of foreleg, proportions (esp. middle pieces ) have greatly improved....the overangulation and loose ligamentation of the hindquarter has gone too far.....tails can be way too long and " as a rudder" can interfere with movement as the are "hooked" up off the ground.I feel there is huge emphasis on the "glamour" " profuse "coat in many breeds and this is a distraction to the ideal breeding programme. They are all man made breeds and changes to suit the "fashions of the day" and I wonder where they will be in another 20 yrs.....?????? Interesting to look on from the outside.

Having been out of the show scene for more than twenty years it is very interesting to see "changes" within many breeds. Weis have become longer with increased hing angulation ....Dobes losing that "rotary" action of the hindquarter, Pomeranians tinier with HUGE coats, Shelties with heavier muzzles ,losing that "sweet" expression.Border collies appear longer with shorter forelegs and shorter croups with tails that appear to come "straight off the back" ...boning and head strenghth could be stronger too As for the continuing debate with the GSD>>>>>> their heads,lenghth of foreleg, proportions (esp. middle pieces ) have greatly improved....the overangulation and loose ligamentation of the hindquarter has gone too far.....tails can be way too long and " as a rudder" can interfere with movement as the are "hooked" up off the ground.I feel there is huge emphasis on the "glamour" " profuse "coat in many breeds and this is a distraction to the ideal breeding programme. They are all man made breeds and changes to suit the "fashions of the day" and I wonder where they will be in another 20 yrs.....?????? Interesting to look on from the outside.

I come from the same situation as you and remember the '80's well and so agree with all you have posted. In the Shelties I feel very passionate, as there is now getting so much emphasis on glamour and "showing fools" that you have to wonder if the dogs would be capable to do what they were bred for, also sadly, to me is the American influence which has crept in when they are a VERY different type to the British Sheltie which is something which is very closely guarded against in the UK. OK I'm raving, but opinions were asked for! My big thing would be for people to CONSTANTLY refer to their Breeds Standard from the country of origin and not to be swayed by trends.

Off my soapbox now!

I show many many breeds this is a couple of things that I would like to see less of.

Whippets: Toplines as above, also they need to stop growing at some point they aren't meant to be half way up my thigh. Agree on movement too - I'd love to take my Nicky lure coursing she would be a sight

Golden Retrievers: They are Golden not white as white can be or even cream - get the colour back. It's also funny (sad funny) when you can look at a Golden baby and mistake it for a Maremma baby after a quick glance

Siberian Huskys: They aren't Malamutes, stop breeding gay tails and HUGE dogs

Overall I think that Judges need to take a little responsibility for the way dogs are changing. Judge to the standard, just because you see 10 flat top Whippets and 2 with correct topline does not mean that they are incorrect for being the minority, stop going with the fashion of the show ring and go back to basics.

I'm still coming to grips with the Whippet topline pic Whippets posted. :eek:

Me too!

But I agree, not into the flat toplines, I like my curves!

Taint just about looks either. A dog with a topline like that won't be able to gallop like a dog with a rise over the loin. That rise is caused by the muscles that give the dog the strength to run and turn at very high speed.

But yes, its hard to understand how judges can get past the description of the dog as requiring "a series of graceful curves" to put up dogs that look like their necks are stuck on as an afterthought and toplines you could play cards on. :(

Dear Judges, please stop rewarding the breeding maxim that "more is more" and reward moderation and balance where a standard calls for it.

Edited by poodlefan

Me too!

Taint just about looks either. A dog with a topline like that won't be able to gallop like a dog with a rise over the loin. That rise is caused by the muscles that give the dog the strength to run and turn at very high speed.

But yes, its hard to understand how judges can get past the description of the dog as requiring "a series of graceful curves" to put up dogs that look like their necks are stuck on as an afterthought and toplines you could play cards on. :(

Dear Judges, please stop rewarding the breeding maxim that "more is more" and reward moderation and balance where a standard calls for it.

This sentence could apply to SO many breeds!!

Me too!

Oh I agree, they are the shape they are because of a specific reason. Take away the shape and the purpose for which they are bred and evolved, they can't do it any more. I also think that is across the board as well.

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

Oh I agree, they are the shape they are because of a specific reason. Take away the shape and the purpose for which they are bred and evolved, they can't do it any more. I also think that is across the board as well.

It worries me judging form in isolation from function. I wonder if judges training includes and discusses that relationship?????

Not sure? but it should!

I also am not fond of the rather tall Whippets that are out from time to time. My bitch is on the taller end of the height standard and to most people she looks like a midget. Standard people! Having said that if the overly tall dogs were not being awarded I guess it wouldn't be as common.

Probably a bit of a twist on the theme but I think right now Chessies are heading in a good direction we have fresh blood (literally and figuritavely) in the breed and just this weekend we had the first ever All Breeds BIS :D

I would like to see the lines in Australia continued to be strengthened by bringing in more US blood and I would definately NOT like to see people move away from the dual purpose breed that we are! My breed isn't flashy, we are true working type dogs and we show our merits through breeding for sound, able structure correct working temprament and correct (oily, wavy, wooly undercoat harsh topcoat and no longer the 4cm) coat. Believe it or not the Chessie is a "coat breed" and I have only seen 2 judges (both internationals) ever checking my dog for correct undercoat and taking thier time on the coat.

However being in a breed that is rare it's not up to the judges but us in the breed to educate these judges and be careful with our breeding to make sure we stay true, then thier is no way the judges can be awarding the incorrect type over correct type. :cheer:

Edit: Because I can't spell :laugh:

Edited by valleyCBR

Basenji"s are getting way too big, how on earth would some be carried around the neck by the natives is beyond me. I have been told to get with the times but I am sorry I will not be breeding bigger just to win a ribbon.

Havanese are still developing in this country but we do seem to be getting a bit more consistancy in breed type. Once again size is an issue that needs addressing. My last 3 litters have come down in size which was my intention as they are meant to be toys.

In my breed (Whippets) I see evidence of a trend that's downright rife in a few others I can think of:

FAT DOGS! :laugh:

The Whippet breed standard calls for:

Balanced combination of muscular power and strength with elegance and grace of outline. Built for speed and work.

I'd like to see all awarded dogs in hard working condition. We aren't yet at the stage where you can only win with a dog that looks as bulky as a Stafford or like tub of lard and I really hope that we aren't headed there. The breed isn't meant to be bulky OR fat. :laugh:

There are some breeds exhibited at a weight I can only describe as "unhealthy".

Edited by poodlefan

Those pictures are from the breeds that are suppose to look like that. Greyhound body and and I.G gait. I dare not cut and paste others whippets, put them on here and point out the faults. That would be crass. I'd rather refer to it. BUT that is the trend of what's occuring, unfortunately.

Phew, I thought it was a greyhound although I have seen whippets with similar toplines, especially in the non ped racing lines where many of them looked like little greyhounds.

In whippets I'd like to see smaller, curvier ones. I love the look of my little girl Kibah, she's the style I love and yet I would be unlikely to get another like her when she finally goes :laugh: And I'd like to see more colours again. When I first started going to shows they were all fawn partis, when I lost interest and stopped going to shows they were all (mainly) big dilute brindle partis. Whippets and greyhounds have the biggest colour variation of any breed, and yet we so rarely see some one them I fear they've just about been bred out.

I too would like to see that they can do what they were bred for, hunting and racing but the majority of show people pretty much wrap their dogs in cotton wool.

I also hated it when people looked down their noses at my girl (mind you I didn't show her anyway) because she isn't the fashionable style of whippet being shown now. It doesn't mean she is wrong, she just isn't in fashion, but she still meets the standard just the same.

Edited by Kirislin