Staring Behaviour

chuckie500

I was visiting friends with my two dogs. They also have two dogs. One of their dogs will stare :dancingelephant: :dancingelephant: continuously at one of mine. She never takes her eyes off my dog. :happydance: Just a fascination, no aggression, tail wagging, but looks at her constantly. My dog just ignores her. :happydance: I think she wants to be friendly, but my girl pays no attention.

What does this mean? Any interpretations :thumbsup: ?

I was visiting friends with my two dogs. They also have two dogs. One of their dogs will stare :dancingelephant: :dancingelephant: continuously at one of mine. She never takes her eyes off my dog. :happydance: Just a fascination, no aggression, tail wagging, but looks at her constantly. My dog just ignores her. :happydance: I think she wants to be friendly, but my girl pays no attention.

What does this mean? Any interpretations :thumbsup: ?

I would go with dominance without actually being able to see the dog and it body language, tail wagging doesnt always mean a dog is happy it depends on the way it is wagging, also what does the dog doing the staring do other than stare? like does she follow her around or will she go relax somewhere?

Mine are shih-tzu type things and the the staring dog is a kelpie thing. The kelpie will just follow my girl around everywhere. wants to sniff but won't do much more. they have been around each other for hours with people present and nothing aggressive has happened. :( my girl can be the grumpy one.

Mine are shih-tzu type things and the the staring dog is a kelpie thing. The kelpie will just follow my girl around everywhere. wants to sniff but won't do much more. they have been around each other for hours with people present and nothing aggressive has happened. :( my girl can be the grumpy one.

Town kept working dogs sometimes just want to work any animal and the "stare" can be part of "working" the stock (your dogs).......Our working Kelpies often "stare" at sheep, before directing them as to where to move to. Does the dog move its front end lower? And maybe circle around your dogs? Even just a little and slow and is the tail low?

I was going to ask if it was a working type dog. The "Kelpie thing" is doing what some working type dogs do. Generally they watch and if there is some sudden movement, they rush around to block the moving dog. Definately not aggression and will generally do no harm unless the dog being watched gets irritated by being herded.

The hard dominant stare is very different and is not at all friendly.

Mine are shih-tzu type things and the the staring dog is a kelpie thing. The kelpie will just follow my girl around everywhere. wants to sniff but won't do much more. they have been around each other for hours with people present and nothing aggressive has happened. :o my girl can be the grumpy one.

This is why I asked for breed. Herding breeds can stare as part of herding behaviour. My friend's Kelpie stares and attempts to herd my Whippet :( He finds it somewhat challenging to herd a Whippet barking with excitement and zooming around in circles but those herding dogs are persisitant! :o

If the dog is holding off at a bit of distance and staring intently it MAY be herding behaviour. However without seeing the dog, I'd not want to commit to that opinion. What's the dog's body language like - is it very upright of more of a lowered stance at the front?

Edited by poodlefan

My boy is very non-reactive. But when a herding breed does the "stare and stalk" he is not a happy camper - and neither am I. I can't distinguish the herding "stare and stalk" from the prey-drive "stare and stalk". He is little so some bigger high prey drive dogs do this to him. Obviously I avoid it, but I can't avoid it 100%.

It is interesting that people say if it is a kelpie thing then it is "defintiely not aggression". Are kelpie's immune from aggression? From prey-drive?

I don't think it's that they are immune from aggression, it's just that when a Kelpie stares like that it's frequently not a sign of aggression. My Kelpie cross can stare solidly for about a minute without moving - he's waiting and seeing what will happen next. Sometimes he's waiting for a ball, sometimes he's being a bit defiant i.e. we've told him to sit and he is wanting to see if we'll back down before he plonks his butt down - he doesn't want to sit because he knows we're about to throw the ball and he wants to be standing so that he can get to it faster.

I've seen Kelpies stare down a stray sheep so that it backs off and rejoins the flock. I have to be careful not to get into staring contests with my dog - they can last forever! :thumbsup:

ETA: I've said before that the way my dog's Kelpie Stare always reminds me of the quote about Paddington Bear and how he has a "very hard stare" that can disconcert people and how he always says "bears are good at staring".

Edited by koalathebear

Yes I think you are right, it might be a herding type of obsession. She is a kelpie cross something smaller. Its sort of a herding-stare not a aggressive staring-someone- down stare. yes I think its a remnant of herding. Good point. Thanks. :( :( I should get a photo and post it up. If it was truly aggressive, something should of happened by now, and they have been together many times.