Help New Puppy, Dont Know What Im Doing, Advice Needed

angelnkids

hi everyone we have just got our first puupy who is 9 weeks old, a cross breed of a jack russell and chiuhua. We also have 2 small children aged 4 and 20 months.

I just have a few general questions on toileting, the kids with him, sleep, food etc and anything else you think could help me.

Prob not the best time to havea puppy with 2 children, but my partner really wanted one, deep down i do too, but im finding it really difficult with the pup and 2 children, but its early days, we havent even had him a week.

At the mo hes sleeping in a crate in our bedroom, and when we go out, hes in the laundry, which has a gate so he cant escape. We do plan on having him outside soon, but our garden isnt secure yet, plus we have a lot of trucks going up and down the street, im thinking the noise (while hes young) may scare him?

Basically i dont know if i want him sleepin in our room, but obviously until hes toilet trained, i cant risk letting him roam around our bedroom, and if i keep him in the laundry, that is right next to the kids room, and i dont want him disturbing their sleep, what does everyone else do for lettin them sleep, is it best to have him in the crate?

How much sleep do they need as a puppy, obviously having 2 small children, they wont leave him alone, and he practically gets no sleep in the day even though i know hes very tired, should i just put him in his crate away from the kids? although if i put him in the laundry, the kids just run up to the gate and keep him awake, hence the only other place is my bedroom.

As for toileting, how is best to train him, i know everyone says to train outside asap, but when he wakes in the morning as soon as i let him out of his crate he wees, no way do i have enough time to get him outside. AND with him being in the laundry in the day at the mo, hes weein on newspaper, so will he get confused?

Is it best to have him desexed? whats an average price for it, i got one quote (with a discount ) of $180, does that sound reasonable

And what is best to feed a puppy, we got food at the mo what was recommeneded from the pet shop, but its sooo expensive, i normally shop at coles, is there anything i can get there that is good for him.

sorry for all the questions, i really just need some advice on how to train him etc, im plannin on takin him puppy school too, any other advice will be great too

also do they stop following u around in the end, he wont leave me alone, even if he asleep and he notices im moving he gets up and follow me

thanks

tracy

Edited by maxnkids

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read the information about raising a puppy in the training section on this website from cover to cover.

You will not find great puppy food at Coles. Chicken necks and wings are useful to feed in conjunction with a good puppy kibble but you need to go to a bigger pet supplies place for that.

You won't be getting any pats on the back on this forum for impulse buying a crossbred pup from a petshop. Weather the storm and you'll get a lot of help here. You're going to need it.

Sadly, had you bought from a responsible breeder, you'd have got a lot of helpful information both before and after purchase from them.

Rein the kids in now. He's a baby animal not a Toy.. control them or he may end up biting to defend himself from unwanted attention. He is too young and too small to be handled by them without supervision. Yes, crate him and teach them to leave him alone when crated. You must get up and take him out to the toilet during the night when he stirs in his crate if you want him to be toilet trained. He'll need to be by you in your room for that.

Offtopic: If anyone was wondering what sorts of topics I was referring to in my posts to fatso the other day, this is a classic example. BYB crossbred pup, bought by unsuspecting owner and now it will be a purebred forum that picks up the pieces and helps the owner out.

Edited by poodlefan

Hi, and welcome.

just some brief points as I dash out the door .

Your baby pup does need time away from the kids.For sleep and to avoid injuries.

Good for you in having him crated in your room :)

he wont leave me alone, even if he asleep and he notices im moving he gets up and follow me

:( he is a BABY ..and like any baby ,needs a 'mum'.

Time in his crate during the day is great- give him a treat , and let him chill for a little while- this is a good opportunity to teach the kids that they do NOT disturb puppy when he's in his crate - that is 'his place' ;)

Keep using the recommended food for a while.. and GRADUALLY change onto something else- so there are no tummy upsets. What is he being fed?You are best advised to keep him on the best possible food you can afford .. it will pay dividends healthwise.

Good for you in planning on getting him desexed as well :)

Pet shop pups are often a mixture... so don't get too much of a shock if he grows up looking different to what you expect ;) Has he been wormed and vaccinated? have you had your vet check him over thoroughly?

yes, having a pup is expensive! Food is the least of it - especially with such a tiny scrap :)

you will find some interesting reading in THIS LINK..ahh Poodlefan put this here as well .

Edited by persephone

thanks for some of ur help, i knew comin on a breedin forum i was gonna be in for some critisim, but im not here for sarcastic comments, im just here for geniunie advice for people who know dogs, actually where we bought the dog from, my partner got lots of advice from her, but as i had the kids to deal with i couldnt get to talk to her.

hes been vaccinated, dewormed, microchipped.

the food he is on is innova puppy food

Hi there,

Good on you for asking for advice- this shows that you are taking responsibility for your pup :(

you have only had your pup a week, so please do not thing that things are out of control yet. Adopting a puppy can be difficult for anybody but if you put in the time and effort then you will be well rewarded.

Puppys go through what is called their "critical period" (do a few google searches on this). During this time they need to be expose to all different environments (shops, friends houses, the vet, parks, water) noises and objects (thunder, machinery, cars, bikes prams, umbrellas) people (old, young, wearing hats, long coats etc), animals, surfaces, during the night and day. These experiences need to be made positive. This will set him up for life not to fear these things.

Do not show fear if you are unsure, IGNORE the dog if they are fearful (ears back, whimpering, running away) and give a big reward when they are confident (food treats, play, toy, big pats). But please introduce him to situations gradually. Eg. Take him out on lead just to sit and watch the trucks from a distance. Do this for a couple of days. Then go a little bit further each day. If you know someone with a truck, ask them if you can show your dog around the truck, to sniff the tires, sit close etc.

Puppy pre school would be extremely helpful, for you and your pup. You will be able to ask lots of questions there. Find a reputable school and ask what there course outline is. Start this weekend if possible, the earlier the better!!

You will need to google toilet training as well because there are many different methods. But please do not punish you puppy for having accidents inside. Take him out every hour (or two) and take him to the same spot. Give him a command such as "toilet" and the give him a big play when he is done. If you cannot supervise him crate him so that he can not have accidents inside, otherwise it may become a habit.

If you kids are too much for him he needs an escape to relax. Perhaps teach your children that when puppy goes to his crate he needs "quiet time" and should not be disturbed.

And please have him de sexed :) Ask your vet about why this is beneficial. 6 months is a good ago and $180 sounds right.

Premium food is expensive, but the health benefits are worth it. It does not work out to be as expensive per serve because they eat less. Eg. my dog will eat 2 cups of premium, but will need 3+ of supermarket biscuits.

Best wishes and I hope this has been some help.

Let us know how it goes :)

At the mo hes sleeping in a crate in our bedroom, and when we go out, hes in the laundry, which has a gate so he cant escape. We do plan on having him outside soon, but our garden isnt secure yet, plus we have a lot of trucks going up and down the street, im thinking the noise (while hes young) may scare him?

Basically i dont know if i want him sleepin in our room, but obviously until hes toilet trained, i cant risk letting him roam around our bedroom, and if i keep him in the laundry, that is right next to the kids room, and i dont want him disturbing their sleep, what does everyone else do for lettin them sleep, is it best to have him in the crate?

How much sleep do they need as a puppy, obviously having 2 small children, they wont leave him alone, and he practically gets no sleep in the day even though i know hes very tired, should i just put him in his crate away from the kids? although if i put him in the laundry, the kids just run up to the gate and keep him awake, hence the only other place is my bedroom.

As for toileting, how is best to train him, i know everyone says to train outside asap, but when he wakes in the morning as soon as i let him out of his crate he wees, no way do i have enough time to get him outside. AND with him being in the laundry in the day at the mo, hes weein on newspaper, so will he get confused?

Is it best to have him desexed? whats an average price for it, i got one quote (with a discount ) of $180, does that sound reasonable

And what is best to feed a puppy, we got food at the mo what was recommeneded from the pet shop, but its sooo expensive, i normally shop at coles, is there anything i can get there that is good for him.

sorry for all the questions, i really just need some advice on how to train him etc, im plannin on takin him puppy school too, any other advice will be great too

also do they stop following u around in the end, he wont leave me alone, even if he asleep and he notices im moving he gets up and follow me

thanks

tracy

Just quickly, when you take him out of his crate in the morning, pick him up and take him straight outside. Don't rely on him to walk there. He is probably peeing out of excitement, as much as having held on for so long!! Are you toiletting him during the night at all?

Once he learns to settle, he shouldn't make noise over night, so I wouldn't worry about him disturbing the kids. The kids are far more likely to wake him, as puppies have this incredible ability to be snoring one second and wide awake ready to go the next!!!

Also, if it is of any help, when I first bought my pup home, she slept over night in the laundry with the door closed. I put her crate in there for her, but left the door open. I left a puppy pee pad down and she instinctively knew to use that. So when I attended to her in the morning, she had usually gone over night and she would go straight outside the next morning (me carrying her). Some DOLers don't agree with this approach, but it worked well for us. We haven't had an accident in the house since she was about 4 months and she was holding on over night by about 11 weeks. That being said, if your pup hasn't learnt not to go in his own area, it most likely will take you a bit longer.

Do your kids have naps during the day? Maybe when the kids go down, allow the puppy time out too. This will give you a break also.

Make sure he is being toileted after every meal, drink, play time, walk and sleep. And if in doubt, take him outside. I would suggest using a lead to guide him to wear he needs to go. Make a big fuss of him when he goes in the right place - a treat will work wonders. As pp said, ignore accidents inside, especially if you didn't see him do them. If you take him outside and he doesn't go (assuming you know he probably needs to), PICK HIM UP and bring him back to his crate. Try again in 10 minutes.

Desexing - sounds like a good deal you're getting to me! Good on you for being so on to that!

Food - pop into the nutrition thread. There are heaps of discussions in there about kibble qualities and price etc. Totally agree with pp regarding better value for money with the premium kibble. For example, my pup had allergies to her first food (provided by the breeder!)... allergies and health issues cost you more in the long run, than a few dollars extra a bag. We have since changed foods and she is fine. Alot of kibble brands now have a thing running that if you buy ten bags you get one free. Depending on what pet supplier you use and what brand of food you go for, you might like to take advantage of this.

Teach your babies, that puppy is the new baby and he needs sleep time and rest time. Depending on what your routine with them is, I would schedule in supervised play time with the pup, then when time is up, have them move on to something more interesting (like helping you bake, crafts, play dough etc) and let puppy have time out. As he gets older, he will nap less frequently, but dogs do tend to like a midday nap, even when they are fully grown!!!

Good luck with your pup. I am sure he will be a much loved member of your family.

P.S. The first four weeks are the hardest. Get him into puppy school asap, and that will keep you sane. Once you get your head around the fact that it is as much about training YOURSELF (and your OH and kids), as it is the pup, it will all fall into place. You need to be more consistent with the pup, than you are with your own kids.

Baby puppies can sleep up to 20 hours a day. You must not let the kids disturb him when he is asleep. He is not their toy.

A toilet break during the night would be a good idea for the first couple of weeks too.

edit to say good post Wizzle.

Edited by Pippa

thanks for some of ur help, i knew comin on a breedin forum i was gonna be in for some critisim, but im not here for sarcastic comments, im just here for geniunie advice for people who know dogs, actually where we bought the dog from, my partner got lots of advice from her, but as i had the kids to deal with i couldnt get to talk to her.

hes been vaccinated, dewormed, microchipped.

the food he is on is innova puppy food

so you got the dog from pets paradise - I wouldnt expect a lot of good advice from them

1) Health

make sure you worm your pup regularly with an all wormer, and that you keep it away from unvaccinated dogs and dog heavy areas like beaches and parks until its last vaccination. Since you live in WA look at hearworm prevention as well. Something like Advocate, Sentinal, etc is a good way to go

Desex the pup as soon as it is old enough too, 6 months should be plenty. The price you were quoted sounds pretty good.

2) keep your kids away from the dog if it has had enough. People are right it is not a toy. Dont let them harass the puppy when it's in the laundry or crate, get tough with the kids before the dog feels cornered and threatened enough to nip them back or they hurt it by accident. It's the only thing puppies know so really it would not be the pups fault. They're exactly like toddlers, they eat, sleep, poo, get cranky then buzz around like flies on red cordial ... then repeat :(

3) crate training like you are doing now is fine. Think of the crate as the puppies 'bedroom' and teach it that it is really good in there and it will sleep there happily as an older dog.

Being a tiny breed he will not be able to hang on properly overnight, hence when you let him out he wees straight away. If you cannot wake up to let him pee then put him in the laundry with a well padded bed, and put some pee pee pads down or get a big shallow plastic container with some paper based cat litter in there, and a tissue dabbed in his own wee to attract him. During the day if you catch him sniffing around take him outside and encourage him to go pee and poo, then praise.

4) as for diet, you are better off avoiding all the rubbish on the shelf and getting something from a pet place. Iams, Advance are good mid range or then there is Royal Canin, Eagle Pack, Artemis etc on the higher end. Good foods are better for your dog. Would you feed your kids McDonalds and KFC every meal? Yes they will be alive but will they be healthy? No! The cheaper foods are filled with grain, animal fats and whatever is scrapped off the abbetoir floor, including heads, feet, intestines etc. Actually you get NO value for money with the cheap junk, it's quite overpriced for what it is (how some of it can even be legally considered dog food is beyond me) But yes, good foods go a lot further and with such a tiny dog a $30-$40 bag of premium food should last you a long time. Poodlefan is right in saying you should introduce chicken necks and wings for nutrition as well as dental health long term.

Enrol into a puppy school ASAP. Get one from a properly qualified trainer not just some vet nurse making some extra cash after hours. It is worth the money and you can have practical examples in how to train your dog and deal with any problems you have.

The noise of the trucks - your dog should get used to it now. Sit outside with the puppy and play with it, make sure it knows trucks are nothing to be afraid of. Your pup is small enough to put in a bag, so start taking it everywhere and letting it learn what the outside world is before 14 weeks of age. This way it wont be exposed to disease but it can still experience the sights and smells of the world it has to live in.

thanks guys for all the advice.

Just one more thing, obviously sometimes hes going to be in the laundry, but i want to get him trained outside asap, will he get confused toiletin in 2 diff areas, and do u think its better to have him indoors or outdoors in the day,

i havent heard him stirring in the night for a wee, should i get him out even if hes asleep?

thanks

hi everyone we have just got our first puupy who is 9 weeks old, a cross breed of a jack russell and chiuhua. We also have 2 small children aged 4 and 20 months.

I just have a few general questions on toileting, the kids with him, sleep, food etc and anything else you think could help me.

Prob not the best time to havea puppy with 2 children, but my partner really wanted one, deep down i do too, but im finding it really difficult with the pup and 2 children, but its early days, we havent even had him a week.

thanks

tracy

Hi Tracey,

Firstly I want to say, "Yes" it IS best for him to be desexed.

Good on for asking for help and please don't be offended but I am dissapointed you didn't think of all these things prior to purchasing your puppy. :)

If you have to shop at coles for his food, get fresh chicken as mentioned by an earlier poster.

Once you get into the swing of things, it is not hard having two babies and a dog. I know were all different but if I can manage with 10+ dogs and two toddlers I am sure you'll be able to manage one small dog??

Have you done any research on the breed(s) your puppy is suppose to be since bringing him home?

Little dogs, especially chis and poms can and do become very attached to their humans, to the point of being protective - I grew up with chi's and have one in care atm - it is very important to keep them socialized.

The Chihuahua is lively, alert, proud, and makes a good companion. They seek and demand affection, and they are very spunky by nature. They are determined, courageous, and they become very attached to their owner(s). They have a jealous streak, and they will follow their owner’s every move if strangers are present. Some Chihuahuas are difficult to train, but they are intelligent and generally learn quickly. They are most receptive to gentle training and positive reinforcement. The Chihuahua doesn’t like to be poked, pestered, or teased, and he may snap if a child provokes him. Because of their small size, they will resort to using their teeth if they feel threatened. This breed can be noisy and difficult to housebreak. All Chihuahuas should be properly socialized to avoid the onset of aggressive behavior. This breed is usually aggressive towards other dogs.

Puppy pre-school is a great idea and will help keep him socialized with both other people and other dogs.

I'd be getting those fences fixed asap to get him into a toileting routine. And also to get him outside for a good run/play on the grass. You can get puppy training pads, I have never used them so don't know what theyre like though. ?? I use news paper for inside training.

And yes crate him to give him some him time away from the kids and so he can sleep in peace. Crates are the best thing since sliced bread - I'd be lost without mine (for my smaller rescues). If he cries and carries on when you first put him in, ignore him. Sometimes it takes a while for them to adjust. You may end up with ringing ears short term :) but in the long term, you'll be thankful and so will he, knowing he has his own little safe haven.

Oh and your comment "probably not the best time to get a pup with 2 children"

I think it is the best time to get a pup!! - your kids will grow up with him and vice versa. I believe every kid should have a dog (though I know it's not possible for all). Children and dogs form strong friendships and close bonds.

There is nothing more precious than seeing your littlies talk to, laugh at, and play with their doggy buddies, and the dogs love it just as much, they'll play more to make them laugh more or listen intently with ears pricked. :( It is very special. In the long run it also teaches the kids responsiblity, to love, and to respect mans best friend.

All the best

Rach

edit to say good post Wizzle.

Thanks. Sometimes it helps when it is articulated in a way that can be understood - the OP is a Mum!!! I totally get it!

OP, It can be overwhelming. When we got my pup, we had been waiting for her for weeks! She was very much planned and wanted, I had raised a puppy before and thought I knew what I was in for. Like any expectant Mum, I read all the books on how to raise a good, happy, healthy pup. By about day three I was ready to return her to the breeder. My husband was overseas at the time so there was no relief. A little bit like when you bring a new baby home... you love it, you wanted it, you expected it to cry, sleep and poop... but you didn't expect the crash after the high... I am pretty sure I suffered with Post Natal Puppy Disorder. I was literally in tears over her.

I didn't have babies at the time, but everything I set in place then, was knowing that I would have a baby on the way soon enough (we've just found out we are expecting our first). The hardest part for me, was having to train my Husband (who has never had a dog before) on how to behave with the dog!!!! When he came home after four weeks and it wasn't until then that I realised how much she had learned and grown in that short time.

Might I also suggest that you stick on the fridge a list of commands that you will use and what they actually mean. This might help with consistency in that area (ie. I say 'down' to get her to lie down, Hubby always says 'lie down' and gets frustrated wondering why she looks at him as if he is speaking Japanese - I am always correcting him :( ) and help teach the kids as they get older. A good puppy school is likely to provide you with this anyway...

It does get better and you have come to the right place for advise. But like with parenting your kids, you take what works for you and spit out the rest. Everyone on here can only offer what they know to be true and what has worked for them. Admittedly, some are probably more right than others. But whatever you decided to do, you need to stick with it.

Crated in your bedroom sounds fine, but the laundry is generally the coldest room in the house and generally the most isolated so IMO not a good place for a puppy. By outside, do you mean staying outside overnight/basically living outside? because if so I think you've bought the wrong sort of cross for that! The truck noise he will get used to - it's important to expose him to noises at this age, definitely don't bother about that. A puppy pen would help keep him safe outside, two would mean one inside, one outside and he can be safe but part of the family inside and out.

Crate overnight for sure. If you later decide you don't want him sleeping in your room then you can just gradually move the crate elsewhere. The laundry is definitely not a suitable place for him to sleep overnight IMO.

How much sleep did your children need when they were BABIES. Teach them to leave the puppy alone when it is asleep or they WILL get bitten. Put the puppy in his crate and behind the gate if need be until you can teach your children to respect him. He will need about 16-20 hours of sleep for the next week or so, it's a hugely stressful life he's had so far from god-only-knows-where he was produced, to the pet shop by god-only-knows-what means then to your house.

As already suggested, pick him up out of the crate and carry him straight outside. When he;s in the laundry are you home? If so, take him out for a pee break every hour or so. While you're out then if he pees before you go out and you're only going to be out for an hour or so, lock him in his crate but be sure he HAS peed before you lock him up. Unfortunately pet shop puppies learn to pee and poop where they eat and sleep since they don't have access to proper toileting places as puppies should, so you have this problem to contend with - it's not a natural behaviour, in fact pups as young as 2 weeks will instinctively get as far away from their bed as they can before peeing, so you can imagine the stress these poor mites are under in those glass aquariums :(

Definitely, why would you think otherwise? He shouldn't be bred from since a) he's a very scary cross (terrier instincts with a chi's more sensitive type nature, personally I can't imagine anything I would be less likely to bring into a house with small children) and b) you would never know if you were mating him to a close relation.

$180 seems like an OK sort of price

He must be tiny, how much could decent quality food possibly cost for such a small dog???? Cost it out over the amount of meals the decent food will make for him and you'll find it's probably a pretty reasonable price. You can extend it a little with chicken wings, necks, small lamb bones, some mince (not suitable as a diet all on it's own), sardines, eggs, table scraps in small amounts and nothing spicy etc etc etc

He is obviously very insecure so needs reassurance from you. You have bought a puppy which is half COMPANION breed - Chi's need their people and don't tend to like being alone and half stubborn little ratting dog that wants to get it's own way. You need to teach him that being alone is OK, but gradually and kindly - he's had enough horrors in his short life.

hes only in the laundry when we are not home, otherwise hes roamin around the house with us. I was asking if when hes at home alone, is in the laundry better or outside,

the reason why hes in the laundry is thats the only place when he can be fenced off from the rest of the house, its coming up to summer, so he wont get cold.

yea i suppose the cost per quantity of food is not that expensive for the dog, and i def agree quality over price every time.

i have lots of reading up to do, and lots of hard work and trainin, i knew it was going to be tough, very similar to a baby, tought times in the first few weeks but once they settle everything gets easier.

does anyone know if better pets and gardens sells decent pet food, just tryin to locate local pet stores, dont have that many near me

thanks

Edited by maxnkids

hes only in the laundry when we are not home, otherwise hes roamin around the house with us. I was asking if when hes at home alone, is in the laundry better or outside,

the reason why hes in the laundry is thats the only place when he can be fenced off from the rest of the house, its coming up to summer, so he wont get cold.

yea i suppose the cost per quantity of food is not that expensive for the dog, and i def agree quality over price every time.

i have lots of reading up to do, and lots of hard work and trainin, i knew it was going to be tough, very similar to a baby, tought times in the first few weeks but once they settle everything gets easier.

does anyone know if better pets and gardens sells decent pet food, just tryin to locate local pet stores, dont have that many near me

thanks

I know City Farmers are usually pretty good. Where in WA do you live? I am a former WA girl myself, but I am sure there are plenty of WA people here who can recommend somewhere that is close to you.

Get your hands on a copy of 'Puppies for Dummies' and any books on the breeds he is a cross of.

thanks

tracy

congrats on you new puppy :laugh:

i have a 17 week old cavalier x poodle and have gone through all you going through now,

this is what i have learnt and done with my puppy

FOOD

tried optimum puppy food, hills science puppy food = runny poos

now on Pro Plan = firm stools, soft coat = happy puppy

TOILET TRAINING

take out 15 min after each feed/drink

take out straight away (pick up) from waking/playing

take out every 1/2 hour then slowly increase to 1 hour, then 2 hours ect over a slow period of time

Last feed 5pm & water 6pm,

last take out for potty break at 10pm. then set alarm for 2 hour increments, then after a few days set for 2.15 hours, then 2.3 hours ect till he is sleeping though night

I kept a folder with what time my puppy had food, naps, went out for potty breaks and what was done on each potty break, so that way i could see when she needed to go out most and when accidents where happening most( she only has had a couple of these, once she was consistent in doing the right thing, i increased the time between each potty break to start it was every 1/2 hour then every 3/4 hour then every 1hour ect, if you notice he is having accidents take him out more frequently.

i also had the rooms in my house barricaded off so she could not go far, this gave her some freedom from the crate but not the freedom of the whole house and once she had had no accidents for a few weeks i opened up some more of the house BUT very very slowly,

most important is to stick to a roster and have set times for food, play, naps and this will help enourmously in toilet training your puppy, i don't think i could have done it without my roster and folder

a great book that i bought that i go my roster from is "Complete Idiots guide to puppies" awful name but great book, it has a roster in it and i followed it to the letter. you can buy it from angus and robertson book shop.

If you can not watch him for some reason whilst your at home put him in his crate, don't let him wander about the house, make sure the crate is just big enough for him to turn around in and he should not soil it, too much room and he will go potty in there.

Just make sure you take him out often and loads of praise use the same command each time and he will learn to go on command.

hope this helps

Just remember it is not easy and it will take some time BUT you will get there in the end.

good luck with it :love:

[quote

Puppy pre school would be extremely helpful, for you and your pup. You will be able to ask lots of questions there. Find a reputable school and ask what there course outline is. Start this weekend if possible, the earlier the better!!

he cant start puppy pre school till he has had all his shots, at 9 weeks he would not be fully vaccinated, my puppy had her last shots at 12 weeks and started school at 14 weeks

i