Four Dogs Perish In House Fire

MarieC

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/dogs-per...1017-16on5.html

Four pet dogs have died after alerting their elderly owner to his burning house last night.

The 66-year old man was asleep in his bedroom when the fire broke out in his Altona North home at around 11pm last night.

The elderly occupant escaped his burning home after waking up to barking from his four pet dogs.

MFB Commander Bob Undy said the fire is believed to have started from a discarded cigarrette in the lounge room of the man's one-storey Gadsden Street property. Commander Undy said the owner, who lives alone, is believed to be a heavy smoker.

"If he had a working smoke detector, he would have woken up earlier," Commander Undy said.

The man has been taken to the Alfred Hospital suffering smoke inhalation where he is in a stable condition.

Edited by MarieC

Poor dogs :laugh: It's articles like this that make me wonder if we've made the right decision to crate our monsters at night ...

Crating dogs at night can be a necessity at times so it's no crime for those that feel compelled to crate their beloved pets. I suppose it's a case of taking precautions, i.e. making sure that all smoke alarms function, no heaters running at night, etc etc.

Poor dogs, just so tragic....

Poor dogs :rofl: It's articles like this that make me wonder if we've made the right decision to crate our monsters at night ...

At least when they are crated you know exactly where to go to save them.

If they are roaming free around the house they could be cowering/hiding in any room, it would take a lot longer to find them.

Our dogs sleep in the laundry behind a baby gate and I know that in the event of a fire, after I get my kids out, I can go straight to the laundry to get the dogs. The laundry is one of the main escape routes anyway so they can be picked up on the way out if that route is safe.

That's how I see it anyway.

Edited by HollyMilo