Car Lunging

Max#1

RE - flyball - 'age appropriate foundation work' - that is what I should have said!

Agility dogs: I was most impressed about the way an otherwise normal, chilled out dog, once taken into the ring, would get so focused and determined and excited. Then afterwards just relax again. It sounds like you're having a lot of fun with Wikki! And you sound very proud (I know that feeling, I think Max is special too!).

Vicki: I know it is serious. And I'm sorry, its an awful thing to happen.

I might ask my obedience instructor on the weekend. We'll see next week if he does stop doing it once the stitches are out and we're back to playing as usual.

In the meantime I will keep working on it with the tips given here. It has made a difference.

Thanks!

Tonight no woofs!

Taking treats on the walk seems to make the biggest difference. He's much more interested in me (eta: read 'the treats') than what else is happening. I see him start to get alert as he hears a car coming up behind us, start talking to him ie 'Max, off', 'Max, leave it', 'Max, look!' - and he's giving his attention to me. E also TA: I also did this randomly when there were no cars.....

Do you think its ever possible to trust off-lead around a road though? Especially when there's no owner nearby? I think most dogs would be silly enough to 'see what's on the other side'..... unfortunately. (Though that's a big difference to trying to herd up the car I know).

Thanks again.

Edited by Max#1

Honestly, its been a bit too easy...... could it be just a little bit of prey-drive?

(And that question was 50% rhetorical....).

That's great...well done. & you didn't even have to use the squirt bottle :eek: I wouldn't have my dog off lead around roads & traffic...too risky even though my training has given me 99% confidence that she wouldn't lunge....there is always that 1% :scared:

I have never assumed that she is 'cured' of lunging. We daily walk the beach off leash where there are cars and motorbikes driving up and down, she is made to stop and sit when any approach, both for her sake and for the driver to know where she is :crazy:

She has started to sit without being asked when she spots a vehicle, but I will never, ever assume that she will not chase them. I dont think any dog can be trusted not to chase a vehicle given the right distraction, and I try to stay aware.

It sounds like you are making great progress, well done :crazy:

I am more and more concerned at the number of people who exercise their dogs by making them chase a car! :shrug:

Sheena - chasing cars for exercise is just crazy.

Okay so today was first day without stitches and we've had a good run in the park, and played with some other dogs.... I'm trying to be really strict with loose leash walking at the moment, but the walk back from the park was easy because he was quite worn out (must remember this for the next obedience class - oh you should've seen us so severely failing to loose lead walk down the street with the class, the shame the shame)!

However, still when a car comes he gets alert. I distract him by getting him to sit, or look, and praise for correct behaviour.

Is this as good as it gets? Should I keep working until he doesn't even alert to passing cars?

BCPuppy - the problem is walking down a street where cars are driving - trying to get a sit for every car is not really realistic or practical.

Sheena - chasing cars for exercise is just crazy.

Okay so today was first day without stitches and we've had a good run in the park, and played with some other dogs.... I'm trying to be really strict with loose leash walking at the moment, but the walk back from the park was easy because he was quite worn out (must remember this for the next obedience class - oh you should've seen us so severely failing to loose lead walk down the street with the class, the shame the shame)!

However, still when a car comes he gets alert. I distract him by getting him to sit, or look, and praise for correct behaviour.

Is this as good as it gets? Should I keep working until he doesn't even alert to passing cars?

BCPuppy - the problem is walking down a street where cars are driving - trying to get a sit for every car is not really realistic or practical.

No , it gets much better, but it takes time. When you're walking always have lots of treats on you. I could always predict when Bindi might respond badly to a situation (lunge) if I was concentrating, & I would immediatley say something in a low growling type voice like "don't you even think about it" & she would look at me & I would praise & treat. With the walking on a loose lead, again have lots of treats, have him walking by your side with a treat in that hand. To start with take a few paces (maybe just one) & treat (if he is looking at you & still nicely at your side)....keep doing this & gradually increase the number of paces before you praise & treat. Before you know it he will be walking nicely by your side, focusing on you, hoping he will get the occasional treat....but it all takes time. I know there are some on this forum who laugh at my simple training methods,(like water squirts & treats) but they are methods that have worked for me with a very hyperactive young border collie (I have never had one quite like her). She was a real shock to the system when I got her :hug:

correct him for showing interest. It's the only way to shut down the drive totally. Anything else is just redirection or smoothing over.

of course, your choice.

I could always predict when Bindi might respond badly to a situation (lunge) if I was concentrating, & I would immediatley say something in a low growling type voice like "don't you even think about it" & she would look at me & I would praise & treat.

The problem is we cannot watch our dogs all the time. As Vickie has shown, proofing comes from applying a consequence to the action - show ANY interest in cars and you get a correction. I dont use verbal corrections because thats why you have a collar attached to your dog, to do the work for you PLUS you may not always be there holding the leash. My Malinois tried to chase a motorbike ONCE. Got the correction of the century but I didnt give her a verbal reprimand. When she was sitting there "what the heck was THAT" I called her back to me and rewarded her for complying. She learned motorbike = bad, mum = awesome. Now you can start any machinery next to that dog and she doesnt give two hoots, because mum has the good stuff.

Corrections simply help tip the balance of good and bad more to your favour.

Alright that's good - that tells me what I have to aim for. I wasn't sure if even alerting to the car was still a problem, so thanks Nekhbet.

But - when you talk about correcting with the collar - are you talking about a check chain/choker? I was talking to a friend of mine the other day (I didn't ask the obedience instructor as there just wasn't a right moment - she intimidates me a little) and he is a retired instructor. He said a check chain would fix it - and also help with loose lead walking as well.

I'm curious what people think about that? I was under the impression they'd been 'outlawed', so to speak....

Sheena - taking lots of treats on the walk definitely makes me popular at the park with the other dogs! :thumbsup:

no check chains are one of the most common collars used, people call them choker chains.

prong/pinch collars are illegal to use in Vic. Heck of a lot better then check chains in my opinion but oh well, them governments peeples know best I suppose

Not at my obedience club.

My retired instructor friend nearly died when I told him they're not 'compatible with their teaching methods'... anymore. I would get one, but not sure how to use it....