How Hot Is Too Hot?

kja

In my past experience with brachies, with no airconditioning at home, I found that the inside of the closed-up house was much, much cooler than outside when I arrived home mid-late afternoon in the middle of heatwaves. The dogs were always fine, I suspect they slept a lot. During weekend days I found one also liked lying under a bush, cool and shady.

At night I'd stress but then realised at least one dog worked out the bathroom tiles were cool and used to sleep there.

To me, they do seem to work it out themselves.

I was tought never to leave on an electrical item when you aren't in the house (or even awake). Fire hazard.

When we had the terrible heat waves in Melbourne (46+) I didn't have an aircon and the dogs were fine. I closed all the blinds, left ice blocks and even had a wading pool in the bathroom (they are scared of water and refused to go near it) and they were fine. They slept a lot more, but weren't negatively impacted.

Your breed originates from a hot climate. I think they'll be fine.

Fire hazard? You leave electrial appliances switched on for long periods every day and don't have a fire.

46+ and leaving the dogs out in it is your choice, I certainly would not be doing it, my breeds would probably die in it.

I am actually surprised by the number of people who put the air con on for dogs that are not predisposed to breathing problems. :)

Most dogs are able to handle the heat without too many problems providing they have shade and water. They're dogs. They are no more, and no less, affected by the heat than huamns and a human can bare much higher temperatures as long as they have water. Why are we suddenly thinking they can't?

The elderly and infirm, sick, very young and brachy breeds should have obvious special consideration though.

I have a 10 year old Dane and a Allergic Dog who runs hot - there are many different reasons why someone would want to keep their dogs comfortable.

Who cares anyway if people chooses too, certainly no effect on you. If people want to provide temperature comfort to their dogs then so be it, why would you look down your nose at them.

Edited by sas

Wow, no need for the cranky pants - everyone's sharing their thoughts and that's a good thing!

I, for one, appreciate all the input and everyone's explanations, examples and suggestions. I'm less concerned about it, have some new techniques and can go to summer with a clearer of vision of what I believe will suit my own dogs. Pretty much a successful thread, imho!

Well my coated breeds are all outside during the day regardless of how hot it gets. They all have a wading pool in their runs, plus numerous water bowls and plenty of shade. On those 45+ days I go out and hose down the runs many times during the day, I put up extra shade with shade cloth and umbrellas/canopies, and keep a close eye on them, esp the oldies. They sleep in kennels in the garage and have two high velocity fans on them when its hot at night.

They all cope just fine. Even the two eldest who are almost 15 and almost 14.

I am actually surprised by the number of people who put the air con on for dogs that are not predisposed to breathing problems. :laugh:

Most dogs are able to handle the heat without too many problems providing they have shade and water. They're dogs. They are no more, and no less, affected by the heat than huamns and a human can bare much higher temperatures as long as they have water. Why are we suddenly thinking they can't?

The elderly and infirm, sick, very young and brachy breeds should have obvious special consideration though.

I have a 10 year old Dane and a Allergic Dog who runs hot - there are many different reasons why someone would want to keep their dogs comfortable.

Who cares anyway if people chooses too, certainly no effect on you. If people want to provide temperature comfort to their dogs then so be it, why would you look down your nose at them.

Interesting take on it Sas. Perhaps you should chill a little though. Who is looking down their nose at anyone?

Your seemingly "over reaction" to my comments would make one think you are sensitive to how people perceive you and the way you care for your dogs though.

Mine come in with the aircon and I am home and it is really hot, but if I am out they are outside as I don't leave the aircon on while at work or out all day. Mostly because I worry about it stopping working suddenly and the dogs stuck inside :laugh: My house bakes in summer, so unless the aircon is on it is better for the dogs to be outside with the shade, water, wading pool etc.

I was tought never to leave on an electrical item when you aren't in the house (or even awake). Fire hazard.

When we had the terrible heat waves in Melbourne (46+) I didn't have an aircon and the dogs were fine. I closed all the blinds, left ice blocks and even had a wading pool in the bathroom (they are scared of water and refused to go near it) and they were fine. They slept a lot more, but weren't negatively impacted.

Your breed originates from a hot climate. I think they'll be fine.

Fire hazard? You leave electrial appliances switched on for long periods every day and don't have a fire.

46+ and leaving the dogs out in it is your choice, I certainly would not be doing it, my breeds would probably die in it.

If you actaully read my post, my dogs were inside. THey had plenty of cooling options available. I wasn't talking about your dogs - I was saying that if your breed originates from a hot climate they should be fine - provided they are in good health. Iw as answering the OP's question.

The statement about a fire hazard is true - I only leave the fridge running. Electrical fires are a risk - a few DOLers have even suffered from them?? It certainly isn't a rediculous concern.