Canon 'rebel' Cameras

Drumbeat

I've been looking at the Canon 550D on some online stores and often see the Kiss x4 advertised as well. I don't understand why being a Japanese version makes it cheaper, can anyone explain it please?

Edited by Drumbeat

As far as I can tell, they should be the same camera. Granted, I've only had the quickest of looks at that link, but perhaps it's a vanity thing? Or a misprint? I'd call them and ask coz I'm just not seeing a blatant difference and it's easier to ring them than read all the fine print LOL

It is the same camera - just with different branding for release in different countries. I'm researching that exact camera right now for a friend. She'll be getting the 550D branded one (which is $40 more expensive) just so she doesn't confuse herself and other people. :rofl:

550D is what we call it here, Kiss x4 is what they call it in the states (and other countries). :thumbsup:

LOL why in world would she spend an extra $40 for the exact same camera? Who would possibly care that it says something different? I get that the names are a little confusing, but after you buy the camera what difference does it make?

$40 is $40, after all!

LOL why in world would she spend an extra $40 for the exact same camera? Who would possibly care that it says something different? I get that the names are a little confusing, but after you buy the camera what difference does it make?

$40 is $40, after all!

That's the thing - it's $110 difference at DWI and I'm thinking I could put that towards better lenses. I'll have to make sure the language can be set to English though :(

I'd put that difference in price towards a new lens or a new bag or a dinner out or something :(

And I'm pretty sure you'll be able to choose English - either straight from the menu or with a firmware update. This I am not sure about, so do double check. I'd probably learn the menus by number (you can download the manuals in English) and still save the money even if it was always in Japanese LOL

$40 is $40, after all!

She's notoriously forgetful - she said that she'd never remember which camera she has she she'd like to at least sound like she knows what she's talking about, given that she works in the same industry as me. I keep telling her not to bother and that she'll get used to the numbering in no time but after 10 years, she still can't remember her own phone number so she didn't want to confuse herself. :thumbsup:

I contacted DWI today and the difference is:

550D = PAL format

KISS X4 = NTSC Format

This will only effect the playback on TV as NTSC will not play on a PAL tv.

I do sometimes use TV for playback so looks like I'll have to stump up the extra $'s for the 550D version

Interesting. I've never played mine back through a tv. Wouldn't be worth it to me - I'd just zip 'em through the computer and make a slideshow or something onto a dvd.

Are you sure it can't be changed? I have it in my menus that I can choose NTSC or PAL on both my 40D and my 1DIII. Bought the 40D in the US and the 1DIII here in Australia.

I don't think that information you've been given is the full story...

I'd be happy to test it out for you if you know how to do it LOL

Edited by kja

exactly - I have bought almost all my different cameras from overseas - the 10D when I had it, the 5D and the D700, and although they had the NTSC set as default, in the menu setting I was able to change that back to pal. Methinks they might just be spinning a bit of a porky there. Would also note that the D700 came from DWI, and was also setup with Japanese as the default language, as did the 10D (which came from a USA online shop), but going through the menu, was easy to change that to english.

Edited by Linda K

exactly - I have bought almost all my different cameras from overseas - the 10D when I had it, the 5D and the D700, and although they had the NTSC set as default, in the menu setting I was able to change that back to pal. Methinks they might just be spinning a bit of a porky there. Would also note that the D700 came from DWI, and was also setup with Japanese as the default language, as did the 10D (which came from a USA online shop), but going through the menu, was easy to change that to english.

According to DWI:

Kiss X4 has only the option for NTSC whereas the 550D has the option for both PAL and NTSC.

It wouldn't surprise me - the US doesn't like PAL at all and are actively trying to avoid shooting in it for some reason. That being said, they also dislike shooting in 16:9 and shoot most of their TV shows in 4:3 (the bane of my existance!). You can get converters but the video will never be as good if you try to convert it. It usually looks a little jumpy as they drop about 5 frames a second. If you're not going to be doing a huge amount of editing though, I wouldn't worry. Just import it into something like final cut and export it as an h.264 quicktime.

Go for the 550D if you want to shoot in PAL.

I would seriously be asking someone else because I've had three bodies from the US and they all allow PAL and NTSC.

the KISS series is for the Japanese market, not the US market, and I suppose it could be only NTSC but...