Herding Talk Thread

long time since I visited here!!! yeah our last trials saw some of the best entries wa has had yet. Sue Fed was our lovely eastern states judge,

some great runs too!!!

and yes weasels got to play with the star of the day.. although she is being pain in the butt with the 3 key now!

it will be a massive shame to lose you weasels and mr weasels.. WA's loss is a massive gain for SA

Edited by Sherlot

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like many people who don't live with a baby I refuse to believe she is being anything but a perfect angel :laugh:

Thanks Sherlot :o Hopefully we can find good people in SA to help us develop our herding as much as you and Steph have over here :) So far Piper has been lovely, so fingers crossed! :thanks:

I'm thrilled at the possibility of another judge, we desperately need them :)

I have just posted this on Facebook - we have our first state champs coming up and are running 2 each of A course sheep and ducks as well as B course sheep and ducks. It will be the first time we have run B course ducks in SA. There will also be a total of 4 of each test class held over the weekend;

I have donated a special award for the most versatile worker over both course and stock types.

The schedule can be found here: http://dogssa.com.au/documents/State_Herding_PDODC_DWD.pdf

I'll be there Dova, am still working on your photos, got them down to just over 100 so a bit of editing and my computer is bloody slow :laugh: Some nice ones though so it should be worth the wait.

Looking forward to seeing them, know it takes forever with a sloooow computer, all good that wasn't a hurry up :provoke: just wondering if your coming :laugh:.

Well we just spent the afternoon out marking up the grounds ready for the State Champs in a fortnight. Hopefully we get better weather as it was a bit wet and windy out there today.

1 of the committee members has some totally awesome binoculars that measure distance that made the measuring SO much easier and saved us heaps of time :) I can't wait, it is going to be a full on weekend but hopefully a really good one for everyone.

Cool. Things will be a bit spread out unfortunatey but we need to do that to minimise the effect of stock being worked in 1 area impacting on another area. There should be pretty good viewing for all areas - B course sheep and A course ducks should make for particularly good viewing. B course ducks and A course sheep will be a little more difficult due to trees along boundaries but still pretty good.

This will be different to what we have done before, nothing is where it normally is and we have never run ducks there at all!

B course sheep will be behind the big implement shed (on the left as you drive in) and there is a roadway on either side of the paddock that you will be able to stand in. A course ducks will be down near the Rosedale Rd in the horse arena as it is the flattest area we could find that is also short grass. A sheep and B ducks will both be in the paddock the other side of the 1 we usually use (the 1 with the duck shed in the corner). I might make up some maps to put on the check in table showing what is where....

Yes well it would be nice if we could have mice adjoining area but alas we can't. Most dogs will have a couple of runs on each stock type though so I would suggest sitting with 1 type until completion of a class and then watching the second run off the other stock type. Traditionally there are less duck runs and they are usually quicker as well so you would probably see most dogs go through and then move to sheep and see the last half of the first run and then all the second runs.

Some of today's training. Jazz is getting the idea of taking stock away from me, still a work in progress but for the amount of training we get and where we were in April I am thrilled. In April we were only getting a couple of steps.

Hopefully this works...

[media][/media]

Grr, not woking. I can never get this to work :(

Edited by piper

• 2 weeks later...

It's only 4 days till the SA champs & I'm starting to wonder "what the hell was I thinking :confused:" entering Izzi in the inter A & started B, getting the feeling we'll be coming home with 4 fails, ah well gotta start some where. I've got chocolate, the good stuff, ready to drown my sorrows :laugh:. Looking forward to giving it a go though :D.