Herding Talk Thread

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well after some confusion about whether we needed another PT pass causing some trouble, in the end both our kelpies ran nicely for their final PT :)

I even got a nice straight walk-up from the Weasel to complete the penning :thumbsup: We're pretty happy with them considering they were both in shelters less than a year ago!

The only downside was that I forgot the camera :(

Well after some confusion about whether we needed another PT pass causing some trouble, in the end both our kelpies ran nicely for their final PT :)

I even got a nice straight walk-up from the Weasel to complete the penning :thumbsup: We're pretty happy with them considering they were both in shelters less than a year ago!

The only downside was that I forgot the camera :(

I didn't get to see your runs.. I entered sooty into to much and ended up exhausted..

I got my HSAd title now!!!

a few titles went out to alot of people.. was a good day over all.. will update the website tomorrow, tonight I'm to tired..

I didn't get to see your runs.. I entered sooty into to much and ended up exhausted..

I got my HSAd title now!!!

a few titles went out to alot of people.. was a good day over all.. will update the website tomorrow, tonight I'm to tired..

There did seem to be a lot of back-and-forthing! Sooty looked quite happy though (in a slightly muddy kind of way).

Congrats on the title - I always like watching border collies but it was great to see duck herding as a bonus :)

Well done on the title Sherlot. I am amazed you even made it to the trial after your big week :)

it was a day out in the sun and a break from it all that I needed.. a good friend of mine was going to offer to handle for me if I needed.. but I decided to enjyo the sun..

Well done on the titles GayleK, Weasels and Sherlot :thumbsup:

Our trial season has finished so I have been training in the open 3 heep arena and I think I have finally managed to solve the top of the cast problems. Cole seems to get into a "zone" of "I've got to get to the sheep as fast as I can" when I cast him so has been hitting the head to fast, not stopping and bringing the sheep back to me as fast as he can and not listening till he is about 50 or 60m away. This m,eans I have unsettled sheep delivered to me and the drives for B course are rushed.

I have been stopping him as soon as he gets that look, then resending him to finish the cast. He is then going out quietly, deep and soft at the top and stopping so we are getting a nice quiet delivery. With every thing under control I have then been able to get him to drive the sheep back to the set out point for another run. Thats a straight drive of about 90m.

We also had a photographer at training the other day and she took some photos of cole doing a fetch - its a lpong time since I started type fetch

post-13563-0-89679400-1315819691_thumb.jpg

I'm here, although I'm a bit late.

I've been offline for a while and during that time Bronte and I have attempted two trials, with two runs each at HSAs.

First trial - disaster. I decided to trust her and give her 'responsibility' for the job, I think I went a little overboard and failed to help her when she needed it. Consequently she split the sheep in both trials and ended up with them in the corner near the pen each time, a massive draw for the sheep. She didn't have enough power to get them out of the corner and I certainly didn't offer her any real help - useless handler. I called both runs as we were going nowhere fast.

Second trial was on Saturday, the VHA trial. Horrid, horrid day weather wise, but we had some success. Her first run was really lovely, when she over flanked I asked her to correct and reposition the sheep. Got around the course nicely and in a pretty calm manner. The judge says I lost points as I stopped too much to let her correct, but I'm sorry, trial or no trial, there is only so much rubbish I will let go by, I was happy asking her to correct her errors. Either way we got a really nice pass on 94.5.

Her second run started well and then she got to overflanking and in an effort to try and maintain fluidity of the sheep movement I didn't make her correct and the sheep took advantage of that. Found ourselves back in the corner again. This time however she swept them out of the corner really neatly, but then over flanked again and sent them back to the corner again. Press repeat twice and I called the run. She was doing such a good job of fetching them from the corner to me, but I couldn't stop her over flanking. So she didn't lose heart I pull the pin.

But we do have a little more to add to our pass brag. Bronte also won Highest Scoring ANKC Registered dog for the weekend. Not bad for a little Smooth Collie that lives in inner suburban Melbourne.

Looking foward to our next trial in Oct, hopefully I'll have something in the toolkit by then to prevent the over flanking.

SmoothieGirl sorry for my ignorance ( :o ) but what do you mean by overflanking? Circling or flanking at an incorrect angle?

She means the dog is getting to balance but rather than turning in and applying pressure at balance, she is continuing to flank around the sheep - so she ends up in the wrong position to take the sheep where her handler wants them.

OK thanks! I'd googled it but it still didn't quite make sense, but I think I get it now :D

I guess in basic, means when you are walking in a straight line (with your sheep and dog behind you) and your dog instead of weaving nicely behind you, "overflanks" by going too far wide, therefore your sheep instead of walking nicely in a straight line behind you weave. when trialing this costs you 1/2 a point per weave depending on the severity of the weave.. so ideal to iron out in training if you can..

I'll explain in picture if I cant you at training, else ask steph if you see her.. else I'll explain it better if you come to the General meeting..

OK thanks! I'd googled it but it still didn't quite make sense, but I think I get it now :D

I guess in basic, means when you are walking in a straight line (with your sheep and dog behind you) and your dog instead of weaving nicely behind you, "overflanks" by going too far wide, therefore your sheep instead of walking nicely in a straight line behind you weave. when trialing this costs you 1/2 a point per weave depending on the severity of the weave.. so ideal to iron out in training if you can..

I'll explain in picture if I cant you at training, else ask steph if you see her.. else I'll explain it better if you come to the General meeting..

Got it, thanks! I think I've seen Chess do that with Tom, possibly because she gets bored when everything is going smoothly (she also used to randomly charge the sheep to give her something to do picking them up again. A very 'kinetic' dog that girl). I haven't noticed it on the Weasel,possibly because when he gets bored he just goes and eats sheep poop until he's needed again.

Got it, thanks! I think I've seen Chess do that with Tom, possibly because she gets bored when everything is going smoothly (she also used to randomly charge the sheep to give her something to do picking them up again. A very 'kinetic' dog that girl). I haven't noticed it on the Weasel,possibly because when he gets bored he just goes and eats sheep poop until he's needed again.

once your trialling its costly!! its ok in the tests.. but as you go further into training you'll train that out of them.. sooty used to be a turd.. he still overflanks all the time.. but not as bad..

once your trialling its costly!! its ok in the tests.. but as you go further into training you'll train that out of them.. sooty used to be a turd.. he still overflanks all the time.. but not as bad..

That's what I'm worried about, but at least we have some time before trialling starts up again! I think I got the better herding dog to handle with Weasel, but everything that causes Chess to struggle as a herding dog makes her a very talented agility dog, so we just work with what we got :shrug: