Herding Talk Thread

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WOOHOO we're heading for the Double K in June :thumbsup: ,4 whole weeks away :(, hopefully a friend is coming over for a bit of practice before then. About to change the course around a bit to give the dogs & sheep something to think about. Been sitting planning where to put obstacles & where I can get more rubbish to make the obstacles out of, I really gotta getta life :shrug:.

Registering for what? I'm waiting for rego and membership to be emailed through from the koolie club so I can register mine as a koolie tomorrow. Do we have to register for the instinct test before the day? I'll do it tomorrow while I'm down there if so. I just phoned to put my name down for the training days.

No I meant the dogssa rego. Hopefully you get the documents in time :)

Bah, stressing now, I was told I'd get the required info to satisfy dogsSA, I've paid and emailed everything off, only have till tomorrow to get it. The contact was going to give me my member number and his rego number before Saturday. If it doesn't get here on time I'll suck it up, but might see if dogsSA will amend his record once I get it. probably not but I'd love to be able to promote coolies.

Just a small thing though and at least we still get to do herding.

Excellent!! Good luck with DogsSA tomorrow, hopefully no hassles with them.

To be honest, I am not sure how up to date the office will be with them being on the sporting register list so you may want to take a copy of the list from the link I sent you the other night just in case or at least refer them to the document if needed.

All done. There was potential for issues though so might be a good idea to get a memo to the office staff. If Leo wasn't desexed I would have had problems registering him if Ann wasn't there. I don't know who the woman is I saw but she didn't believe me that you can associate register undesexed dogs from some registries. It didn't have to get to the stage of getting Ann involved or asking this woman to check the dogsSA website because he was desexed but others might get caught.

Can't wait till tomorrow and hope lots of you can make it :D

There are some that have no idea about the Sporting Register (that is what they should be on, not associate) and in all honesty they probably only get a half dozen regos a year on it in SA - there are some kelpies doing agility on it and a couple of those do herding as well. Off the top of my head I can only think of about 7 or 8. There are bound to be more as I havent been out to agility trials in a while but Sporting Reg is definitely not common in SA.

Glad you got it sorted and he can compete under his true breed name :)

Crap, I should have put him on the sporting register, I said associate I'm a total idiot, that's why she thought it was mandatory desexing :cry: Stupid brain inflammation! Ok, can I put him on the sporting register as well as associate or do I see them Monday to change him over before they process him on associate? For some reason associate got stuck in my brain :o

That I'm not sure of - I would ring them on Monday and ask, Ann may even be out tomorrow. She does sometimes drop by. And yes that would be why the desexing issue came up as it is the Sporting Register that entire dogs from other registers are supposed to go on. I think if you ring and explain it should be fine, after all they should have realised what you meant even if you didnt know the correct name of it.

Yay, it's arrived :D :D :D

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

hope you have fun tomorrow.

I am coming to SACA, with Rommy to help out at the show. I have my fingers well and truly crossed that the email is accurate and that we can have a short go at ducks or sheep.

Group 5 didn't finish all the breeds today until well after lunch apparently, let alone group itself. (Old English onward were after lunch). Last group to finish. With two shows on tomorrow for group 5 - I am suspecting that there won't be a lot that will want to "come and try", especially if it is wet and they are a double coated breed. I am hoping that means that means Rommy and I can "have a go".

Well I think it was a successful day. Not as many doing the tests as we normally get but plenty came over for a try. And all 8 or 9 that did go on and do their Instinct Tests passed easily.

Reverend Jo - your boy is a little star in the making. Nice work!!! We are all looking forward to seeing him in action at the training day when we can really get down to business.

I was pleased with the bits Jazz did too, some lovely calm stuff on both the mob and groups of 3. Had a bit of a go doing a drive to an obstacle. Not perfect but getting there and she did a good job of hat we were wanting to achieve which was to condition the stock to being worked off their own grounds in a calm manner.

I think we had a few people bitten by the herding bug today and some different breeds out too which I always love to see. There was even a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier that tried out on ducks.

I was pleased with the bits Jazz did too, some lovely calm stuff on both the mob and groups of 3. Had a bit of a go doing a drive to an obstacle. Not perfect but getting there and she did a good job of what we were wanting to achieve which was to condition the stock to being worked off their own grounds in a calm manner.I have to say I am buggered now though, these days while fun are long and tiring. I started setting up at 8am and got back in the car at 5pm and did not sit down once all day. I think it would have been interesting to wear my pedometer and see just how far I walked. I know I easily made 10000 steps today!

I saw a bit of Jazz working at the end and she was going nicely, once she is fine tuned she'll be great. I was happy with Leo today, I thought he might be Looney McCrazypants after not being in work for 3 months. He remembered to drop automatically when we were finished but I was ready to strangle him outside the pen! I am very keen to get stuck into guided training, there is only so much Professor Youtube can do :laugh:

Thank you so much for all your help, really appreciated :thumbsup: If you need a hand next instinct tests and try out day let me know and I'll come in early.

Sorry RJ I ended up not hanging around for your boys turn. Was getting warm in the car for my little feral and a need for food was calling. Glad he did well though and good luck with the training :thumbsup:.

It was only quick, hopefully you can make it to the training days, we can catch up properly then :D

I'm sending out details of the training days to two of the women I met, the one with the nice BC with good eye and balance and a sheltie lady, they both want to go along, so I'm pimping for all I'm worth :laugh:

Pimp away :)

He really will be a lot of fun and should do well.

The bit you saw of Jazz was crappy work from her. LOL. We are working on driving and it blows her brain to pieces to think I wish to break the golden rule and NOT bring the sheep to me. She is getting there but she gets so far and has an "I cant handle this" moment and does something daft. I was quite pleased though as that was a big improvement on what we had and the first time I had taken it to a different environment and also near an obstacle.

I don't think I shard this little clip here, this is what Jazz does best and would happily do all day:

Love to be able to get my lad to do this.

I really liked what you have done with the clip.

I think somewhere Melbourne way they have a school of sorts that do this training.

As far as the memory goes I think it is a 3 day course and you have to stay where the training is held.

Might have to have a look at it now seeing this.