Herding Talk Thread

I'm finally back online! Finally met dova and her gorgeous dogs and properly met jr and Rommy and they are awesome, so I have a few more things to miss about SA when I leave :laugh:

I've been waiting to see your pictures!!! :)

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are some nice ones from sheep training, but duck training day not so much :laugh: I bumped the ISO up to crazy levels for sheep to get the shutter speed high enough, noise wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Will you be at the state champs?

Yep - I'm on committee and I think I am judging as well plus running 2 dogs and donating the most versatile worker trophy :)

I will be there all weekend - Piper and Jazz on B course ducks, Jazz on B course sheep. Piper on A course ducks and Jazz on A course sheep, might run her on A course ducks as well but the $$ start to add up a bit so will see how we go. She can work ducks beautifully and did a gorgeous run at the last trial but I am a bit unsure how she will go working them when the sheep are RIGHT there and the ducks are in paddocks that she knows the sheep are usually in, she has refused to work ducks before and gone looking for sheep but she has also had a lot more training and experience since then.

B course sheep you can actually be in the paddock. A course is normaly harder to get pics of up there. And I'm not positive where we will be doing ducks but f it is the areas I think then there will be good access for pics for those as well.

I'm finally back online! Finally met dova and her gorgeous dogs and properly met jr and Rommy and they are awesome, so I have a few more things to miss about SA when I leave :laugh:

It was great to meet you Reverend Jo and talking to you almost made me forget it was BL***Y FREEZING :laugh:, thanks for taking photos can't wait to see them :thumbsup:, hope to catch up with you again soon.

We had the first day of our state herding trial today, I mentioned earlier that I had entered intermediate and was only confident of getting the sheep to the C post...

Well, we got a pass! :thumbsup: Score of 88 under a lovely SA judge (who I am sure is lovely even if she hadn't passed me :laugh: ).

Second run not so good on very light sheep, got a bit stuck heading to the Y so I called it, but Cash tried hard (and kept his lovely wide flanks that we have been working so hard on, yay).

Ducks - no go, but again he tried. He just cannot do off balance flanks or off balance drive lines with ducks yet. Never mind, we had fun.

We had the first day of our state herding trial today, I mentioned earlier that I had entered intermediate and was only confident of getting the sheep to the C post...

Well, we got a pass! :thumbsup: Score of 88 under a lovely SA judge (who I am sure is lovely even if she hadn't passed me :laugh: ).

Second run not so good on very light sheep, got a bit stuck heading to the Y so I called it, but Cash tried hard (and kept his lovely wide flanks that we have been working so hard on, yay).

Ducks - no go, but again he tried. He just cannot do off balance flanks or off balance drive lines with ducks yet. Never mind, we had fun.

Well done!! And good luck for tomorrow. Jane is lovely and very encouraging:)

It is funny how dogs are different - Jazz can manage to hold a line and drive ducks but battles with sheep. LOL

Edited by piper

At lease you are out there doing it.

More than I can say for me.

If I was to try to we would have to travel at lease 4 hours.

Herding is just one of those sports (if you're doing it as a sport, like me) where you have to have access to stock, or not do it :(

I have only had regular access to stock for the last couple of years (my dog is 6), I took more than a year off at one stage due to lack of access, and pursued other interests. Now that I have sheep to train on, things are coming along more quickly. But if I couldn't get that stock time, I'd be doing other things.

Edited by superminty

Well done!! And good luck for tomorrow. Jane is lovely and very encouraging:)

It is funny how dogs are different - Jazz can manage to hold a line and drive ducks but battles with sheep. LOL

When we started trialling ducks (before I had flank commands or a stop :laugh:) , everyone said "oh, you can't fetch ducks". Get a kelpie and you can! I have got this far fetching with the ducks, which unfortunately is not gonna help me in intermediate and beyond :laugh: So I have this dog that Just. Cannot. Take. That. Off balance. Flank (or stop).

Edited by superminty

Good luck, once you are out there you'll probably forget all about feeling crap.

Thanks Rev Jo, wasn't too bad a day in the end :) Got 5 passes out of 6 entries, Chess got a high in trial for ducks on a countback, and Weez got his HSAd title :) Unfortunately Chess only passed 1 duck run so no d title for her this year. But fun was had and experience was gained :thumbsup:

When we started trialling ducks (before I had flank commands or a stop :laugh:) , everyone said "oh, you can't fetch ducks". Get a kelpie and you can! I have got this far fetching with the ducks, which unfortunately is not gonna help me in intermediate and beyond :laugh: So I have this dog that Just. Cannot. Take. That. Off balance. Flank (or stop).

LOL, that is so me with sheep.

Ducks do fetch, just not quite the same as sheep. I do recall standing in a trial arna with it oging pear shaped and ducks at my feet, dog at 12 o'clock whinging "They're not supposed to do this!" :)

v Jo, wasn't too bad a day in the end :) Got 5 passes out of 6 entries, Chess got a high in trial for ducks on a countback, and Weez got his HSAd title :) Unfortunately Chess only passed 1 duck run so no d title for her this year. But fun was had and experience was gained :thumbsup:

Sounds like a very good day!! Cant complain about 5 from 6 a HIT and a title. Congratulations. :)

Well done weasles, that is a great result :thumbsup: I'm going to video Leo helping put the chickens away. His second go here, new house, new poultry and he was perfect. I think he works himself up at training because of the other dogs then goes into over working it mode. If anyone hears of any second hand copies of the all breeds herding DVDs can you let me know, otherwise I'll order them soon.