Where To Buy Long Thin Recall Lead For Practice?

Hi all,

I'm curently in obedience training with my 14 month old Lab/Kelpie cross Mia, and last week we started Level 3, which emphasizes a lot of off lead handling. We did a distance recall exercise where the owner and dog have to walk a few metres, stop, the owner takes off the lead and makes the dog stay, and then the owner has to walk several metres in front of the dog and then do a recall off lead.

Some of the owners, including myself, weren't overly confident that their dogs wouldn't decide to take off running around the field as soon as the lead was taken off, so the instructor had a very long and thin lead (about 5 metres long I'd say) that she attached to the dog once we took their regular leads off. The owners would then go ahead and walk away while the instructor stood way off to the side at the end of this lead which the dogs barely noticed. (giving them the impression that they weren't really being restrained, which was the idea).

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I might be able to order a lead like this. None of the pet shops in town have what I'm looking for. I suppose I could always try to make one myself out of some twine or something :), but I'd like to use a proper one. I'd love to be able to get one so I can practice in the park in between classes. It would be a big help in training.

Edited by Loungefly

I don't know any pet stores or online sites that sell them, but if you ask your instructer they should hopefully be able to tell you where they got theirs, or if your lucky the obediance club might sell them as I know the one I go to does.

I looked around online for the same thing, and found only one that I liked, which was about $40. So instead we went to Bunnings and got some thin rope and a snap hook and it works just as well, and only came to about $12.

That looks pretty much like what I had in mind. Not a bad price either.

I just had a look at Black Dogs. Some nice stuff there, but a little too pricey for me at the moment.

I looked around online for the same thing, and found only one that I liked, which was about $40. So instead we went to Bunnings and got some thin rope and a snap hook and it works just as well, and only came to about $12.

Yeah, I had a look another look at ebay right after my first post. The pictures there are a bit better. A lot of them just look like standard thin nylon rope that you can buy at Bunnings. I reckon that might be all I'd need.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Muchly appreciated :thumbsup:

Edited by Loungefly

Pro-K9 sells 7m Syn-Tek long-lines. These are exclusive to Pro-K9 and they are the ones I use, which is why I favour and sell them.

Pro-K9 leads and long-lines

ETA: No way would I use thin nylon cord. Due to the stupidity of a handler at dog training many years ago (who insisted that he could make things 'do') and me jumping to save his runaway dog from exiting onto the road, I lost the tip of one finger and severely cut into a couple of other fingers all because the thin cord zipped through my hand as I made a grab for it. Saved the dog, but there was a lot of blood and a LOT of pain that lasted me a good couple of weeks or more. I was lucky. I healed.

If anyone fronted in any of my classes with thin nylon cord for training with, they would be denied entry.

Edited by Erny

Pro-K9 sells 7m Syn-Tek long-lines. These are exclusive to Pro-K9 and they are the ones I use, which is why I favour and sell them.

Pro-K9 leads and long-lines

ETA: No way would I use thin nylon cord. Due to the stupidity of a handler at dog training many years ago (who insisted that he could make things 'do') and me jumping to save his runaway dog from exiting onto the road, I lost the tip of one finger and severely cut into a couple of other fingers all because the thin cord zipped through my hand as I made a grab for it. Saved the dog, but there was a lot of blood and a LOT of pain that lasted me a good couple of weeks or more. I was lucky. I healed.

If anyone fronted in any of my classes with thin nylon cord for training with, they would be denied entry.

I am tempted to try and sneak in one of your classes now with a nylon cord. :thumbsup:

I would go for the lead Erny has recommended, I have in the past received burns/blisters on my hands from handling thin material leads.

For tracking I got my long lead from our local horse land, it was only $10 I thought that was pretty good, it is just the same material that regular leads are made of, the webbing stuff.

I am tempted to try and sneak in one of your classes now with a nylon cord. :thumbsup:

Hahaha ..... If you tried that, not only would you not be permitted to train in class (I'm very good at spotting cord leads since the hand injury incident - funny about that ..... but that's operant conditioning for ya :rofl:) but you would also be made to shout me dinner :) .

ETA: BTW .... Isn't it about time you were paying a re-visit to Melbourne?

Edited by Erny

Thanks for the rec, Erny. :D We had one made from parachute cord but I've been afraid to use it.

Hey Sydoo - I want to clarify that I am Pro-K9. I re-read my post and realise this might not be clear to you. I guess I sometimes tend to think that everyone on DOL knows me. But just so that you know I am not trying to alias myself to make it look as though I'm some unrelated individual independently recommending the Pro-K9 product.

But also just so that you know - the REASON I stock the equipment that I do is because I recommend certain quality equipment. Many of my clients would then ask "where can I get that?". I found it therefore easier for everyone concerned to stock the stuff that I myself would recommend and use and therefore be able to supply it.

Oh Yeah!!! Somebody once told me to use venetian cord for my very fast Kelpie.....I carried the scars for quite a while! Never going to do that again!!!!

I always wear gloves when handling dogs using any thin material leads. They can do a fair bit of damage to your hands when you have to grab them suddenly.

http://airdogs.com.au/agility/product.php?...=255&page=1 This might be what you are after?

I like these: http://www.k9pro.com.au/products/Premium-L...-x-16mm%29.html

A little pricey but worth every cent.

Erny's look good too.

The BlackDog lines are okay but I found that mine would soak up water, ending up heavy and smelly, and collect a lot of grass. Horse lunge lines (or any cotton line really) will likely do the same.

Don't skimp on equipment - especially leashes. A good quality long line is going to give you a lifetime of use and provide safety for both you and your dog.

I and Lesley Nelson - recommend tying a couple of knots in the long line, so you can step on it and hopefully it will stop when the knot hits your boot - but you need strong boots. And doesn't work with really big dog who will pull you over anyway. Then again - I wouldn't stop a big dog if I was holding the long line with gloves on either.

I like sailing gloves - re-inforced for rope holding across the palm.

I also like horse leads - because the rope is nice and fat.

And I like roast chicken for recall. Or metwurst.

I once got another finger injury with a knotted lead...not mine....a students dog that decided to take off and I grabbed the lead but I didn't know it was knotted. Arthritis in that finger now :D Sorry but I hate knotted leads!!!!

I and Lesley Nelson - recommend tying a couple of knots in the long line, so you can step on it and hopefully it will stop when the knot hits your boot - but you need strong boots. And doesn't work with really big dog who will pull you over anyway. Then again - I wouldn't stop a big dog if I was holding the long line with gloves on either.

I like sailing gloves - re-inforced for rope holding across the palm.

I also like horse leads - because the rope is nice and fat.

And I like roast chicken for recall. Or metwurst.