Puppy Play Pens And Treats

Flash30Aus

Hi Folks,

We've been looking for a second dog for a few months and finally decided to adopt a beautiful border collie puppy on the weekend.

He is settling in nicely and I'm currently crate training him.

What I'd like to know, is what do people use as good treats for pups? I don't want to upset his tummy, as I use liver treats for my old BC, not sure they would be good for him? I'm thinking little bits of cooked chicken might be good?

Secondly, I'd like to give him more space when we're not around, than what he has in his crate. What do people use as puppy enclosures? I can block off the laundry, but I'd rather he was in the middle of the house, not in the cold dark laundry. A toddler play pen?

Any ideas would be great, thanks,

Christie

Hi Folks,

We've been looking for a second dog for a few months and finally decided to adopt a beautiful border collie puppy on the weekend.

He is settling in nicely and I'm currently crate training him.

What I'd like to know, is what do people use as good treats for pups? I don't want to upset his tummy, as I use liver treats for my old BC, not sure they would be good for him? I'm thinking little bits of cooked chicken might be good?

Secondly, I'd like to give him more space when we're not around, than what he has in his crate. What do people use as puppy enclosures? I can block off the laundry, but I'd rather he was in the middle of the house, not in the cold dark laundry. A toddler play pen?

Any ideas would be great, thanks,

Christie

Sounds lovely....how about a photo. I wouldn't use a baby play pen as he might get his head stuck in it. Bunnings sell wire enclosures for compost at about $23 & they make good puppy pens even if you got 2 & joined them together. One tip though with pens, never put your puppy in or take him out by lifting over the top of the pen. If you do this, he will soon work out that is the way to get out :laugh: ie. jump over or climb.

Dried liver treats used to give my girl the poops real quick.....the cooked chicken sounds good. Or if you want something more convenient try lamb puffs which is dried lamb lung. Has similar nutritional value as the liver without the nasty consequences

Edited by sheena

He is adorable!!!

For treats when training we just used Jager's kibble, he is a bit of a hog when it comes to food so he was happy with that. When we go the park we use bits of meat. Just chop up some beef strips small enough and it keeps his attention on me instead of everything going on around him.

As for a play pen, i second the bunnings compost bins. I got 2 for $50 and they are great! We secured them together with zip ties and used D-clips to hold the "gate" closed - super cheap and easy, we also use one section as the gate at the top of the stairs. We had the pen set up in the lounge room (with a large sheet of lino under it). It just meant that even if we put him in there while we were home he could keep an eye on us. When we went out, we left the tv on (it is on whenever we are home - i hate the quiet) so that it sounded like there was still someone around.

Edited by Nushie

for treats for my mollie i just use her dog food, i have tried to give her dog treats and find they upset her tummy, but she loves her dog food so is keen to do well to get a treat,

for the play pen - i picked up a kiddy play pen from a $2 shop and it is made of metal, 8 sided, that you put together your self so you can make it as big or small as you want, it worked well and only cost $30

good luck

Edited by mackenzie11

Most Borders can climb out of the Bunnings panels because they are square mesh. You can buy specific puppy pens from pet supply warehouses or show suppliers at shows. They come in different heights and are designed to make them harder to climb. Long before any of this stuff was invented I used an old kid's play pen and wired it in for my first two Border puppies. I had to make a wire top as well because like most Borders they could climb like monkeys.

Lucky you replied Dancin, I was just about to send my husband to Bunnings! He hasn't learnt to climb as yet, but I can imagine it wouldn't take him long. He's as smart and agile as anything. Typical BC :confused:

I'll research some more pen options.

Thanks!

Christie

Lucy and Dash

We have a puppy playpen we bought from eBay for less than $70 for our baby Beagle. Its a pop-up made from vinyl and mesh, with a floor and a roof (roof is mesh). It's almost like a round tent. The doors are mesh with zippers. Gypsy loves her pen. She eats all her meals in there so that our Shih Tzu doesn't annoy her! She naps in there alot - just takes herself off and snuggles up in her little bed we put in the play pen.

Just look up "puppy play pen" on eBay and you will see them. They come in different colours and sizes. I particularly like them because Gypsy can't get her paws or head caught in it like the metal ones. :confused:

We have a puppy playpen we bought from eBay for less than $70 for our baby Beagle. Its a pop-up made from vinyl and mesh, with a floor and a roof (roof is mesh). It's almost like a round tent. The doors are mesh with zippers. Gypsy loves her pen. She eats all her meals in there so that our Shih Tzu doesn't annoy her! She naps in there alot - just takes herself off and snuggles up in her little bed we put in the play pen.

Just look up "puppy play pen" on eBay and you will see them. They come in different colours and sizes. I particularly like them because Gypsy can't get her paws or head caught in it like the metal ones. :rofl:

A Border Collie would probably eat that. They need something that is chew proof and unable to be climbed.

Hey Jules :thumbsup:

Your puppy must have been too smart to try the escape artist routine!!! :eek: I did have visions of my would-be houdini falling off the top of a flimsy metal panel onto the hard wood floor though! Ouch.

I think I might give the bunnings panels a go, if they don't work out I reckon they would be useful anyway, and I can always get the extra panels for the roof anyway. The loungeroom might never look the same.

Its been such a long time since we had a baby in the house... but its kinda nice :eek:

Christie

Lucy & Dash