Memory Foam Beds

poochiemama

Our lab has just been diagnosed with hip dysplasia and I noticed he is quite stiff in the mornings when he wakes up. I am looking into getting him a nice, thick memory foam bed to make him more comfortable.

Does any one know of a very good memory foam bed? I can only find the Snooza ones - any one with experience with those beds (ie the Big Dog Bed from Snooza) pls let me know what its like. They're quite expensive and I'm not sure how good they are because it sounds like it's just the top layer that's memory foam.

Obviously we are doing other things for his hip too, and following up with the vet regarding the plan for his treatment, but i would like to look into getting him this bed in the interim.

Personally, from a human perspective, I think Latex is better than memory foam.

Memory foam depends on warmth to work. Until it warms, it is quite hard.

Much as I tried, I could never get comfortable with the memory foam pillow.

I now have latex mattress and pillows and am much happier with them.

In both memory and latex there are a variety of "qualities" around.

Our lab has just been diagnosed with hip dysplasia and I noticed he is quite stiff in the mornings when he wakes up. I am looking into getting him a nice, thick memory foam bed to make him more comfortable.

Does any one know of a very good memory foam bed? I can only find the Snooza ones - any one with experience with those beds (ie the Big Dog Bed from Snooza) pls let me know what its like. They're quite expensive and I'm not sure how good they are because it sounds like it's just the top layer that's memory foam.

Obviously we are doing other things for his hip too, and following up with the vet regarding the plan for his treatment, but i would like to look into getting him this bed in the interim.

Check out clark rubber and make it yourself with a bit of help from the sewing machine

I did a cheaper option and got a Im x 1m piece of memory foam cut and had covers made for my old gsd girl who has hip problems. Its about 4 inches thick and has worked very well for her, she lays flat out at night. Next winter I plan on getting a single bed egg carton type overlay and cutting it in half and put that under the cover for extra comfort. The foam was $40 the cover a heavy duty suede with velcro cost $20, made locally. After 3 years the foam shows no sign of compacting which I think is what you want. Over winter she has heaps of polar fleece blankets on top.

I have a couple of memory foam beds for my westie with HD. He really seems to like them and always goes to either of the 2 memory foam beds when he has a sleep. I purchased mine from overseas and it cost me a small fortune in shipping because memory foam beds are heavy. I couldn't find any local places which had what I wanted for him at the time.

Google memory foam and you will find some local places which cut pieces to size.

Personally I think the memory foam is terrific - as dianed said - it shows no sign of compacting (the other dogs like sleeping on it too!!).

Also look at getting some Glyde for your lab as well as some PetArk PetGesic (powdered cumerone - natural anti-inflammatory) to help with joint stiffness & inflammation. Try to avoid putting your lab onto Rymadil as it can have adverse affects on your dog long term. Try to look at more natural options. My westie also gets acupuncture once a month (along with glyde & cumerone) and it really does wonders for him.

If you have a bit of cash to spare - google adicell.

I think Snooza does one don't they?

For our big dogs and the one who has athritis we bought a cheap cot mattresses from Ikea. Then at Spotlight bought a double bed egg shell foam cover and cut that to fit the two ikea mattresses. Then put a cover over the top of the two. Nice and thick and the dogs love it. Cost about $40 a bed I guess

Thank you for all the suggestions guys -

the DIY option sounds good but I'm not great at making things like that...will look into it though, doesn't sound too hard.

Westielover, where did you get your overseas foam beds from??

I found some great ones overseas; there is one by orvis and there are these great beds called SSS orthobeds which sound good too. Expensive but if it's a bed that's going to last a while, then it may be worth it.

You can buy a single bed overlay of good quality memory foam at a mattress and bed store called Snooze. It's expensive but would make a great dog bed as it's thick enough and the dog could stretch right out if it wanted to. I bought one to put on my elderly mother's bed and she loved it and I have always thought what a good dog bed it would make. You would be able to put a single doona cover on it.

Just to update for people who might be interested in foam beds in the future - I got some memory foam beds called K&H memory sleeper bed, from petwares plus in moorabin (http://www.petsplus.com.au/) and Charlie has not come off the bed for the last 24 hours. He will get up to go outside to do his business, or for short little plays with his partner-in-crime, or when we take him for a walk, but loves, loves, loves this bed.

It is the 'egg-crate' kind of foam rather than the high density foam, but for the price, it is so well-made and very comfy; the surface is a beautiful velvety texture but seems sturdy. Good high density foam beds are very hard to come by; most of the good ones are overseas and very expensive (plus shipping in itself would be up to $200).