Oh I Love This Photographer ..

becandcharch

I would love to photograph a pet pig.... how cool would that be!!

When I get my pet pig (once we have our property) you can come for a holiday and photograph it :laugh:

:laugh: you have yourself a deal!

So long as you can put up with Soakie and Fable cuddles... Jedi is a snob unless you're one of his 'people' :laugh:

Edited by TerraNik

Years ago I bought a pocket sized book on dogs and their owners by French photographer, Yann Arthus-Bertrand. I liked his book - just googled him and found this

He has published many books - Dogs, Cats, Chevaux (horses), and Home (landscapes from the air), this is one of them

514TR847AVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

He also does aireal photography.

Some of his animal photos

61VQHD385GL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

yab-bull.jpg

index2-7.php.jpg

eta: just found his site.

http://www.yannarthusbertrand.org/

Edited by Ripley

Yann has had some great exhibitions in Melbourne - indoors for the horses at the Racing Museum, and the huge posters of the space-type shots outdoors.

I think ChezzyR had a good thread here about him, but that would be a couple of years back.

For good pig photography, opportunity at http://www.edgarsmission.org.au/ - you can visit Edgars Mission, I think they appreciate a small donation, the info is on their website, and they have quite a few loved rescue pigs, very co-operative and photogenic.

Edited by PossumCorner

Yep I've seen his horse stuff, lots of books in book shops.

I really like Nick Brandt but he's the only one I've found that is similar to the stuff I like.

I was going to say Nick Brandt but he mainly photographs African wildlife? Someone showed me his site after I saw some of his photos in the SMH paper, wow, he is amazingly talented (and super famous it seems, I recognised his images as I'd seen them over the years in newspapers or bookshops :) ).

eta: just googled his site, he does landscapes too, can't find any studio pics

Here's an interview with him, interesting that he doesn't use telephoto lens - he says in the interview below

He uses a Pentax 67 and short lens

"I can’t be close to animals when there are other people there because then I’m blocking their view, so it’s antisocial. So, I’ll be sitting all day with lions, waiting to get their photograph and finally at the end of the day, the lions get up and at that moment tourists in a Land Rover come over the hill. And I have to back away because I can’t block their view. I’ve spent all day spending time so the lions are completely relaxed so that when they get up they won’t even notice my team and I… but then that’s it. It becomes harder and harder. I increasingly have to go during low-season, but even then, there is getting to be no off-season. It’s very frustrating."

http://www.lesphotographes.com/2010/02/21/...rsus-barbarism/

Edited by Ripley

Brandt's images of African wildlife are pretty much the bench-mark or the ultimate.

Which I think is quite funny in its way, because he flies in the face of new-speak know-alls, and of course he is right.

He often shoots film not digital. So he is in the category of the "old fogies" in camera clubs who the more smart-arse members denigrate as being unable to keep up, living in the past or the like.

He shoots medium format. And kept on with the Pentax67 in earlier days when all the smart-a's were saying everyone who is anyone shoots 35mil.

He uses a tripod. When the industry is shoving stabilised lenses and stabilised cameras at everyone under whatever clever names.

He uses black and white. When 'everyone' now uses colour even if cutting back to b/w or sepia or draganise or whatever in post for effect, it does not measure up.

Not that I'd have the energy to go back to film: and I've just 'weakened' and bought stabilised cameras, And for the few years I lived in Africa and had the opportunities, I would never never never have had the guts to intentionally get as close in as Brandt does with a 'short' lens.

And Ripley I loved his comment on China in your link: he has no illusions about the situation, but still doesn't condemn the Chinese people in total. I think that's partly an indication of why his photography is so brilliant, he really does see the truth, the bigger picture.

Do you know of any good animal photographers Ash? I find them hard to find unless I was looking for just wildlife photography.

Are you talking domestic animals or wild animals? Off the top of my head, Serena is the best domestic animal photographer that I know and she's currently building a strong reputation in the photographic community. I can't think of anyone else right now but let me get back to you on that...

Non domestic really :grouphug:

:cry: Ash thats very kind but I dont thinks so. :grouphug:

I have no doubt there are others out there (as this thread has now shown), but it's not something I have specifically been looking for at this point so my statement is still accurate. :cry: :p

Tess, what about Andrew Zuckerman?

One of his books

http://www.creaturebook.com/

Doesn't appeal to my tastes (I'm a big Nick Brandt fan now though, might order his latest book), like Tim Flach too.

He photographs non domestic animals.

I went to the newsagents this morning to get something and had a browse of the UK photography mags there and saw a photograph of his on the front cover. It was a giraffe so I flicked through the mag and that's the first I've heard of him, he's pretty famous too.

His site

http://www.andrewzuckerman.com/

(very bold letters :mad )

Edited by Ripley

Ah yeah, seen him before. I don't think I particularly like that kind of studio work with animals though.

I know there are lots of wildlife photographers but the normal kind doesn't interest me much. I respect the work/patience but I like to see something different.