Question Re Flying Age Of Puppies

pikespooches

I was informed today whilst placing a 4 month old rescue puppy onto a plane that RSPCA has new guidelines and that a dog must have vet certificates indicating proof of vaccination and worming and age which must be no less than 12 weeks.

Whilst all my rescues leave with chip, wormed, flea treated, vaccinated C3, and desexed and paperwork goes with them. I agree a vaccination and worming and health certificate should be produced but waiting until a puppy is 12 weeks of age is rather extreme isn't it? I always fly usually from 10 weeks and occasionally have at 8 weeks but never younger as per regulations and all have arrived safe and well.

Can anyone clarify this?

In another thread in rescue it was suggested I contact RSPCA so I shall but wonder what the effects of this could be.

Edited by pikespooches

No idea if it is true but it makes no sense. Why on earth would you want to wait until they hit the 12-16 week fear period, rather than send them at 8 weeks when they cope well?

So true although I fly fosters of all ages to new homes and all cope very well if well prepared healthy socialized etc!

Thank dog I flew the baby out last week at 9 weeks.

I can't see the point of waiting until they are 12 weeks, the puppy buyers ususally want their pups ASAP and although mine hang around until they are 9 weeks, I certainly don't want them here at 12, when they should be with their new families.

The RSPCA are keen to have laws introduced to have the age of flying a pup made higher the push at the roundtable for export puppies was for 6 months. That wont work and I dont think it would ever have a chance of being made law for a whole variety of reasons but if they go through the back door and make it one of their guidelines although not something which can be enforced they can pressure the airlines to introduce such policies which in effect shackles us any way.

the theory is that many puppy farmers are selling puppies via the net and flying them home. If you make them wait until they are older it will probebly cut down on the number they fly out but no one seems to get that this wont stop them breeding - they will move them around via other means in bulk and sell more to pet shops and agents. In the mean time it also impact on us and our puppy buyers.

The RSPCA are keen to have laws introduced to have the age of flying a pup made higher the push at the roundtable for export puppies was for 6 months. That wont work and I dont think it would ever have a chance of being made law for a whole variety of reasons but if they go through the back door and make it one of their guidelines although not something which can be enforced they can pressure the airlines to introduce such policies which in effect shackles us any way.

the theory is that many puppy farmers are selling puppies via the net and flying them home. If you make them wait until they are older it will probebly cut down on the number they fly out but no one seems to get that this wont stop them breeding - they will move them around via other means in bulk and sell more to pet shops and agents. In the mean time it also impact on us and our puppy buyers.

You are 100% correct, the puppy farmers will find another means and it will simply be to transport in bulk by road ( which can be far less kind to a baby than a quick couple of hours on a plane ) or the agents will do the rounds and collect them, once again by road transport.

There will be more puppies crammed into vans and trailers doing the rounds of the country.

It will be the registered breeders who will not be able to transport babies safely or at a convenient time, because the option of air travel will no longer be viable. It will suck to be someone who lives in WA or any location where they would want to fly a young puppy in or out and the alternatives are limited or in some cases no existent

If they are puppy farmed surely they have all sorts of dodgy paperwork with them, homemade pedigrees etc. One more dodgy page saying they are older than they really are won't be a problem will it? How many airline staff can reliably gauge the age of a small fluffy crossbred puppy in a crate??

Yet the conscientious registered breeders will only have legitimate papers so will have to adhere to the guidelines. Sigh. When will people figure out that more and more rules only alter the behaviour of those willing to abide by them. Other people just find a way around so they can do what they like.