Dog Attack Victim's Story

Skruffy n Flea

SnF, I don't think you have any need at all to explain your friend's "long standing fear of GSDs". It's totally irrelevant to the situation whether she was scared or not (unless she'd run up whacked the dog without provocation or something - but it really doesn't seem like that happened!). Like others have said, an intentional bite to a passer-by in a public place (that draws blood through clothing!!) is just not ok, no matter what.

I hope your friend's scars (physical and emotional) heal quickly.

I also find it hard to understand how anyone who had a general frame of mind that they are responsible for preventing their dog from biting people would respond in the way this dog owner did, regardless of shock, adrenaline or anything else. But regardless of the owner's first reaction, she(?) did nothing to take responsibility for her dog's action. Again, not ok.

That kind of behaviour does no favours to the public's view of dogs, but I am very heartened by the responsible attitude towards dog ownership so many who have commented in this thread clearly have. Yay for us! :laugh:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also think that it is terrible that she got bitten, and that the owner of the GSD now has some serious work to do with her dog.

It's just that people these days always seem so ready to scream "dangerous dog", when really it's not a dangerous dog at all. It's just a dog, behaving like a dog. Accidents do happen, especially when people don't use their common sense - like running up on a dog from behind with no warning. After all, I have read it over and over again on this very forum that children should approach dogs with caution, no sudden movements, hand held out for a sniff ect.

Should not the same rules of cautious approach apply to joggers?

Yes, people must keep their dogs under control. But the non-dog owners out there must also use some common sense around dogs, too.

Silverdog, to me this is not just a dog behaving like a dog. As has already been stated, it is not normal, socially (or legally) acceptable behaviour for a dog to bite like this when it is startled while walking in a public place.

Would you say if a human was startled, even terrified, by a jogger passing (as many of us have been) it would be just a human behaving like a human to punch the jogger in the face? No, it would be an extreme reaction and display very poor impulse control. I expect people to control themselves, just as I expect them to teach their dogs to control themselves.

Also, the ideal way to approach a dog without startling it or causing it to react are not "rules" as you said, they are ideals. Dogs not biting people in public is actually a rule. So while it would be nice if non-dog owners did display common sense around dogs, dog owners really must keep their dogs under control.

I do think it was extreme for the dog to bite in that way!!!

BUT yes I get it all the time, joggers run RIGHT PAST shyla without saying a single word and I never hear them coming! It shocks both me and her. She wouldn't react in the same manner like the other dog, but I would appreciate them saying something so we know and I can gather up more leash

Also, the ideal way to approach a dog without startling it or causing it to react are not "rules" as you said, they are ideals. Dogs not biting people in public is actually a rule. So while it would be nice if non-dog owners did display common sense around dogs, dog owners really must keep their dogs under control.

Exactly. I walk on both public footpaths next to roads and a shared walking/bike path. I always make sure to walk all the way over on the left hand side of the path. That way if a jogger/runner/cyclist/martian needs to overtake from behind, they will pass on the right and I will be between them and my dog. Tis an easy way to keep both dog and other path users out of harms way.

and srsly bit her while she was out jogging in her neighbourhood.

what's the bolded word :laugh:

hi :laugh: yes, it is as ATG said: srsly = seriously viz lolcats :laugh:

it's also another form of shorthand that i've learned over the years, taking copious handwritten notes and that style is essentially taken from grieg [i think it was called and used in america] as opposed to pitman, which is a series of strokes, lines, dots and dashes.