Gggrrrrrr I Need To Vent.......

shelby-001

Ok so I was out for a walk with the dogs before coming to work this arve, we walked down the same side of the same street that we do every day, if not twice a day.

Get to house X and the two small white things behind the fence go FERAL as per normal, they launch at the fence, teeth showing growling barking and carrying on like crazy, well we are almost past their yard entirely when a smell on the fence immediately beside theirs (it would be the corner post only the fences don't share a corner post) catches Boof's attention, we stopped for 5 seconds, well that was long enough for the small white things to make it to that side of the yard and one of them stuck it's nose through the gap in the fences and bit boofs nose.

It drew blood and poor Boof, belly planted on the ground with an almighty yelp. All four legs spread sideways and he flopped straight down on his belly, if it wasn't for the fact he got bitten it would have actually been funny to see. After the yelp and drop, he promptly jumped up and wanted out of their ASAP.

I pondered over it for about an hour and then thought no stuff it, I'm ringing the council. So on the phone I get and the lady took all my details and the story, then proceeded to tell me she had an Amstaff and had to have it put down because it didn't like anything smaller than it and it damaged a rotwheiler (sp sorry) which confused me coz it would hardly be smaller than an Amstaff. After I got her back on task and realising that my dogs did nothing to provoke and were happily ignoring the crazy little white things, she proceeded to tell me she'd pass the request for investigation on to local laws but because the dog didn't leave it's property than they couldn't do anything!

Thanks for listening!

I feel for you. SWF's can inflict a lot of damage through a fence - they have needle like teeth. I hope Boof wasn't to badly hurt.

At my old houe I had a malted sh*t that lived next door stuck its nose under the fence and screamed at my dogs who largely ignored. On Xmas eve Cole went up and sniffed it and it bit him pucturing his nose and removing a bit of the nose leather. Same story as you - the dog was on their own property so nothing could be done.

This is his nose after a week or so of healing - I can't find the one taken just after. It took months for the full pigmentation to come back.

DSC00678.jpg

I have nothing against most SWF but some dreadful and the owners just seem to ignore their behaviour because they are SWFs.

Edited by Janba

I pondered over it for about an hour and then thought no stuff it, I'm ringing the council. So on the phone I get and the lady took all my details and the story, then proceeded to tell me she had an Amstaff and had to have it put down because it didn't like anything smaller than it and it damaged a rotwheiler (sp sorry) which confused me coz it would hardly be smaller than an Amstaff. After I got her back on task and realising that my dogs did nothing to provoke and were happily ignoring the crazy little white things, she proceeded to tell me she'd pass the request for investigation on to local laws but because the dog didn't leave it's property than they couldn't do anything!

Thanks for listening!

Your dog was bitten outside of the property. I would follow up in writing, describing how it happened. This person probably took down the information incorrectly, or is unaware of how the law is supposed to work. Take your dog to a vet for a check up if the bite was bad enough to draw blood.

Take your dog to a vet for a check up if the bite was bad enough to draw blood.

I agree with this - he may need antibiotics if the bite was deep enough as they can become infected. I know Cole did as the bite went through to his nostril.

Yes I phoned the vet as the walk was immediately before I was heading to work, they advised I wash it in salt water and in the morning take him in for a check up.

I agree that he was bitten 'outside' the SWF's yard, there is NO WAY Boof's head was going to fit through the small gap in the fence, so clearly it's head had to have come out.

Also I believed that the menacing laws provided for protection from the rushing of fences, especially in such an agro fashion. The lady on the other end of the phone didn't even know anything about the menacing laws (she wasn't the brightest spark) so I took down the reference number and I will ring back tomorrow and ask to speak to the laws officer it has been assigned to and follow up.

I don't mind SWFs either and we walk past heaps that are fine, but these two are terrible.

Yes I phoned the vet as the walk was immediately before I was heading to work, they advised I wash it in salt water and in the morning take him in for a check up.

I agree that he was bitten 'outside' the SWF's yard, there is NO WAY Boof's head was going to fit through the small gap in the fence, so clearly it's head had to have come out.

Also I believed that the menacing laws provided for protection from the rushing of fences, especially in such an agro fashion. The lady on the other end of the phone didn't even know anything about the menacing laws (she wasn't the brightest spark) so I took down the reference number and I will ring back tomorrow and ask to speak to the laws officer it has been assigned to and follow up.

I don't mind SWFs either and we walk past heaps that are fine, but these two are terrible.

Have you spoke to the owner and advised them, they may not be aware how bad their dogs are (tongue in Cheek) but they may not know their dogs can bite under or through the fence

They weren't home I don't think but there's no way with the two dogs in tow I was getting into the yard. I'm not sure who they are so can't look them up in the phone book. In all the times we've walked past only once have we heard the owners making an effort to stop their behaviour. Unfortunately I doubt they even care.

As the dogs were contained within the property, I don't think there's much action the council can take. I know this will sound blindingly obvious but I'd keep my dogs well away from any fence that has a dog on the other side. Dogs behind fences can't bite what they can't reach and barrier aggression can really hype some dogs up. My guess is that these two run that fence a fair bit and it can become obsessive behavior in some dogs :o

Lots of dogs in my area rush to the fence/gate and run a long the fence line. Once one starts they all start. I walk during the day when most are at work or out.

I have heard of some terrible stories about dogs getting their noses bitten or faces mauled. Given half a chance mine would stick her nose in a hole if she could.

I walk on a short leash when passing.

Edited by Shmurps

As the dogs were contained within the property, I don't think there's much action the council can take. I know this will sound blindingly obvious but I'd keep my dogs well away from any fence that has a dog on the other side. Dogs behind fences can't bite what they can't reach and barrier aggression can really hype some dogs up. My guess is that these two run that fence a fair bit and it can become obsessive behavior in some dogs :)

In this case they weren't. The fence allowed a part of their body to protrude. In many QLD council areas, there is a law on the books to cover that. The owner may be served with a fencing order, as well as any thing that happens as a result of her dog biting.

There is a huge problem in QLD of people allowing dogs to run along boundaries adjacent to public areas, and it is the owner's responsibility to ensure the fence is up to standard so that no part of their dog can get through.

These sorts of laws are NEVER enforced, until there is a complaint in writing.

Have you spoke to the owner and advised them, they may not be aware how bad their dogs are (tongue in Cheek) but they may not know their dogs can bite under or through the fence

I agree, do talk to the owners so they know what their dogs are like. They should at least pay for medical bills...

I was not aware of these laws. Are they in all states or just there?

I remember talking to a council ranger once and he explained that if a dog was on a ute or in a car and it bit a passerby it would not be considered the dogs fault as the vehicle and a certain amount of surrounding space is considered private property.

I have 3 small dogs that would yap and run at the fence if a dog was passing close by, but our fence comes off the side of the house and therefore is well into our private property so if a dog came to my fence and was bitten who would be considered at fault? I would think that the other dog (or their owner, for being silly enough to walk so close to my fence) would be a fault because it came onto my property?

As the dogs were contained within the property, I don't think there's much action the council can take. I know this will sound blindingly obvious but I'd keep my dogs well away from any fence that has a dog on the other side. Dogs behind fences can't bite what they can't reach and barrier aggression can really hype some dogs up. My guess is that these two run that fence a fair bit and it can become obsessive behavior in some dogs :)

Agree with this.

Poor Boof, sounds like some cuddles are in order. :rofl:

If there are dogs rushing and barking and charging a fence I don't let my dog stop and sniff near the dog, I just keep walking past briskly and ignore it. If I know the dogs are bad fence rushers I usually cross the road - otherwise they can give my dog a fright.

Hope your boy heals up okay.