What Has Happened To My Poor Doggy's Face?

jaybeece

I just got home from work to find my poor dog has a raw nose and face :o He was totally fine this morning when I left for work, and he was definitely fine yesterday as he had a check up at the vet!

He'd also thrown up a little bit of spit on the carpet. Otherwise he's in great spirits and isn't showing any signs of distress. It looks to me as if he's been licking the hell out of his face constantly all day to the point where it's raw. The top of his nose is red and the skin is kinda flakey. It looks awful :D

These are the best photos I could get...

IMG_0883.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

Now I did a garden blitz yesterday and yanked the wandering dew patch. He has a minor rash in his right ear that the vet reakons may be an allergy to something in the garden so I started with the obvious. The pile I pulled out (no space in the green waste bin) is well out of doggy reach but it's possible he wandered back where I yanked it all and was exposed to bits of mashed up wandering dew as I don't think I got 100% of the stuff.

That's assuming he's been outside today anyway! I leave him inside during the day as he tends to bark at possums and I get home early arvo. I'm assuming that my housemate could have let him out when he got up, but no idea if he did. So the dog may not have even been outside. I'm going to ask when he gets home.

I think he was out though as there was half a bone sitting out the back that appears to have vanished. I'm wondering if el mutto buried it in the debris of my gardening yesterday and that's what's caused this reaction?

The other factor is that he had his yearly heartworm jab yesterday, I'm wondering if this could have been a side effect?

Does anyone have any other ideas about what may have caused this? He's not licking or fussing at his face at all now and doesn't seem concerned. I will absolutely take him to the vet if it doesn't start to heal very soon or he shows any other symptoms, but for now I'll keep an eye on it.

Would something like vasoline help it heal? It can't be comfortable and I imagine he'll possibly lick at it while it's on the mend and make it worse.

Gah :) Poor mutt.

Poor big lad, could have been the wandering jew. Vaseline is a petroleum product and I wouldn`t use it on his face. Try something with zinc in it, like you put on your nose so you don`t get sun burn.

Hope he is feeling better soon.

Poor big lad, could have been the wandering jew. Vaseline is a petroleum product and I wouldn`t use it on his face. Try something with zinc in it, like you put on your nose so you don`t get sun burn.

Hope he is feeling better soon.

awww... it's probably allergies. Your dog is itching, poor thing. You need to find out where your dog is allergic to and get it away from him ASAP.

He's definitely away from it! The more I think about it the more I'm thinking it's the weed demolition area from yesterday, it's all stirred up and broken back there and he would have gone investigating. The grass is knee high and the wandering dew was growing through it so it was a pretty rough hack job. It's also somewhere good to bury a bone which would explain why he's so affected in one spot, he probably would have stuck his nose right into it!

He hasn't scratched at the area or licked once since I got home so hopefully it's just isolated to that spot in the garden so I can get back in there in the next couple of days and make sure every trace is totally gone. The mower won't fit back there but I reakon I can borrow a whipper snipper for the weekend.

I wouldn't use vaseline for much at all to be honest. :D

Alright, I'll shelve any ideas of it in the future :rofl: Not sure I even have any in the house, but it was the first thing that leapt to mind. I know I have paw paw stuff around somewhere though.

maybe an antihistamine would stop the itching if he has any

My housemate has human allergy tablets but nothing doggy related. I'm not too concerned at the moment though as it's not worrying him in the slightest which suggests to me the allergic reaction has died down and he's just left with the ouchiness. I'll instruct my housemate not to let the dog out until I get home for the next couple of days just so I can monitor where he's going and to stop him nose diving into the weeded patch again (the dog, not housemate).

There is something else you could try. Chamomile or Calendula tea - lukewarm - are very soothing and will help bring down inflammation. If you have any then I would bathe the area in tea then when it's dried apply paw paw or aloe etc. And repeat after a few hours or less.

Well he licked all the paw paw stuff off :confused: Bloody typical :laugh: Silly mutt!

Yeah that's the problem with any creams especially Paw Paw because it's a nice smelling/tasting one.

You can make up some Black tea (5 bags per litre) pop it in the fridge and then apply, you can also make up Calendula Tea as well.

Then pop to the Vets :)

Even if you can stop him licking the pawpaw off for 10 minutes (distract him with some play or something) it will have an effect. Aloe (fresh from the plant) is better because they dont tend to notice it and lick it off like pawpaw. My dogs would eat pawpaw straight out of the tub if I let them - they love it!

The tea is good for that reason too.

Aww, the poor baby!! :D

Honey suffered a contact allergy a few months back- her snout looked exactly like your dog's! Unfortunately she also had it on her tummy too. :confused:

Calendula tea was great at soothing the rawness but it didnt make it go away. I had to get antihistamines for her before it got better- apparently you can use human ones, just call your vet to find out what dosage.

Looks just like a couple of mine did after contact with wandering jew. I used Zyrtec tablets and neocort cream. The problem with the cream was they went and rubbed their noses along the ground. I used Quit Itch on Brock to wash his nose and that really helped it.

Even if you can stop him licking the pawpaw off for 10 minutes (distract him with some play or something) it will have an effect. Aloe (fresh from the plant) is better because they dont tend to notice it and lick it off like pawpaw. My dogs would eat pawpaw straight out of the tub if I let them - they love it!

Oooh right, I don't have any aloe vera at the moment but that gives me a good excuse to go pick up my pot plants from the parents. I have a crap load of the things normally! The pawpaw ointment is good stuff but yeah, he seems to really love it. He practically eats it off my fingers as I put it on and then licks off the rest which won't be doing his nose any good! Don't think I could distract him fast enough.

Honey suffered a contact allergy a few months back- her snout looked exactly like your dog's! Unfortunately she also had it on her tummy too. :thumbsup:

Calendula tea was great at soothing the rawness but it didnt make it go away. I had to get antihistamines for her before it got better- apparently you can use human ones, just call your vet to find out what dosage.

Youch :cheer: Thankfully it looks like it's just his nose and nowhere else. Could be a lot worse! I'll keep the antihistamines in mind if it doesn't heal up, so far I think it is. He's still not scratching at it or anything so I think it's on the mend. It's definitely not getting any worse anyway.

Looks just like a couple of mine did after contact with wandering jew. I used Zyrtec tablets and neocort cream. The problem with the cream was they went and rubbed their noses along the ground. I used Quit Itch on Brock to wash his nose and that really helped it.

Ok thanks :laugh: If it doesn't get better I'll give em a go.