Breeds Doing Agility

FHRP

The topic of different/unusual breeds sparked me to tally what breeds we've had compete at my local clubs Agility trials this year. Some of the breeds people were listing as 'unusual' seem to be fairly common here, or so I thought! ACT is a small state and our trials aren't huge, but over the year we do get interstate trialers and our club hosts the most and largest of the ACT trials. So for interest this year the breeds we've had enter our trials in order of popularity are:

46 x Border Collie (7 Associate Registered and several others Sporting Register)

15 x Kelpie (7 Associate Registered and most others Sporting Register)

11 x Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

8 x Golden Retriever

6 x German Shorthaired Pointer

5 x Shetland Sheepdog

5 x Mini Schnauzer

4 x Toy Poodle

4 x Puli

4 x Papillon

4 x Labrador

4 x Koolie

4 x Brittany

3 x NSDTR

3 x Labrador Cross (oodle)

3 x Hungarian Vizsla

3 x Dobermann

3 x Cocker Spaniel

3 x ACD X

2 x Staffy X

2 x Ridgeback

2 x Mini Poodle

2 x Min Pin

2 x Ibizan Hound

2 x German Shepherd (both Associate Registered)

2 x English Springer Spaniel

2 x Dalmatian

2 x Corgi (Pembroke)

2 x Cocker Spaniel (American)

2 x Bichon X Poodle

2 x Border Collie X

2 x ACD

1 x Skye Terrier

1 x Silky Terrier

1 x Schipperke

1 x Poodle X

1 x Papillon X

1 x OES

1 x Maltese

1 x Koolie X

1 x Kelpie X

1 x JRT

1 x Irish Red & White Setter

1 x GSP X

1 x GSD X

1 x Greyhound X

1 x Flat Coated Retriever

1 x Field Spaniel

1 x Boxer X

1 x Border Terrier

1 x Belgian Shepherd X

1 x Belgian Shepherd (Groenendael)

1 x Bearded Collie

1 x Australian Shepherd

Plus about 5 "unidentified associate" breeds and I may have missed a couple of dogs from our last trial. Interesting to see that the Cavalier is such a popular agility dog :o although 3 of the 11 do belong to one local trialer.

Interesting list.

Surprised to see 2 Ibizan Hound ? Are they from one breeder? Do you know these dogs or know what level they compet in.

JUst curious cause I liked them as a breed once but I rented and their jumping ability put me off while I was renting due to fencing concerns.

I love checking out all the dogs at comps!

skip, the Ibizans are owned by the one woman, she has trialed 3 of them with one getting it's Excellent titles. The current ones are in Novice and Excellent.

wuffles, I was surprised we only have one Aussie trialing locally too! She is a lovely dog though, got her Masters titles this year. There are more Aussies trialing in NSW & VIC though.

wuffles, I was surprised we only have one Aussie trialing locally too! She is a lovely dog though, got her Masters titles this year. There are more Aussies trialing in NSW & VIC though.

Yes you certainly don't see many Aussies in Canberra... I think the one you are talking about is actually my girl's aunt :D I think there are a few doing flyball as well.

We were originally going to get a puli but it seems they aren't that rare around here!!

We currently have a young great dane at our agility training club. Never seen a dane do agility before and I must admit it is a little weird seeing a dane do agility. However, he seems to be having fun and gets thru the tyre fine. I suspect he will never be a speed demon :D

I would love Ibizians to trial here too then. Don't supose anyone knows the name of the owner or breeder of the Ibizians?

I love going to trials and seeing all the dogs.

I train with the leonbergers. Such lovely natured dogs. Gentle giants but still active and fit.

Funny at training thou as you have to make sure everything is tied down firmly.