Scarlet Ruby's Struggle Into Safety.

Nic.B

Hi everyone,

I hope this is not off topic, if so please let me know if I need to remove it.

Scarlet Ruby is a lovely Pitt Bull cross female who found herself at Hawkesbury Shelter. She proved be be a delightful dog in every regard, simply gorgeous, for the first time ever work went underway to assist her into safety.

After two weeks of work, Stat decs etc Scarlet was the first dog of this breed ever to be released from Hawkesbury to go to WA.

Scarlet is now fully vetworked, everyone adores her from kennel staff through to the vets, vet nurses you name it.

We are having a lot of trouble getting her to Perth WA, then onto Kalgoorlie. Quantas will not fly her :)

So far the quote for her flights is nearly $800. Is this a reasonable quote?

I have not even looked into road transport, as it is such a long way.

We would like to assist other dogs like Scarlet Ruby, though after boarding, vetwork, and flights it is simply not maintainable financially. (She is going to a highly recommended, experienced couple, who adore the breed for rehoming.)

Any suggestions?

Kind Regards,

Nic

Edited by Nic.B

what a terrible outcome for the poor girl...is it because of her breed they wont transport her? surely someone we know on here knows an interstate truckie that goes east to west:-)....I feel for you and i dont know any solutions to this one sorry

Not many people road transport to Perth as there's not a huge amount of money in it.

Our company has a road train going to Perth twice a week. If someone could transport her to Melbourne I could ask Ron to take her with him to Perth but I don't know if they'd do it as they are required to have two drivers on such a long haul and there's not a lot of space left for a dog.

Your best bet is passing her off as a staffy x with Qantas.

Sadly it's been qantas policy for a while now about the restricted breeds, it's on the website.

# Not permitted at all on Qantas or QantasLink services: Dangerous dogs (full and cross bred), Brazilian Fila, Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino, American Pit Bull, American Staffordshire and Pit Bull Terriers, kittens and puppies under eight weeks of age and animals that demonstrate aggressive behaviours or show excessive chewing or cage destruction.

# Restrictions apply to the following dog breeds: Brachycephalic (snub nosed) dogs (full bred only), Bull Dog (any breed), Pug, Pekingese, Boston Terriers and Japanese Chin. These breeds may be accepted on short distance flights of five hours or less, please contact Qantas Telephone Sales for further information. On flights greater than five hours we are unable to accept the above breeds due to their brachycephalic nature.

I'd look to another airline like virgen, do they fly to Perth?

Qantas suck and are so overpriced.

what a terrible outcome for the poor girl...is it because of her breed they wont transport her? surely someone we know on here knows an interstate truckie that goes east to west:-)....I feel for you and i dont know any solutions to this one sorry

Yes, I am affraid so :D We need to be careful re her transport options, I would never forgive myself if something happened to her on the way.

Fingers crossed.

Not many people road transport to Perth as there's not a huge amount of money in it.

Our company has a road train going to Perth twice a week. If someone could transport her to Melbourne I could ask Ron to take her with him to Perth but I don't know if they'd do it as they are required to have two drivers on such a long haul and there's not a lot of space left for a dog.

Your best bet is passing her off as a staffy x with Qantas.

Flying her to Melbourne and then onto Perth may be a cheaper option, though I can imagine more unsettling for Scarlet.

Regardless of what breed she is said to be I have been advised they will still refuse to take her, so I would prefer to be upfront to avaoid any hicups.

Sadly it's been qantas policy for a while now about the restricted breeds, it's on the website.
# Not permitted at all on Qantas or QantasLink services: Dangerous dogs (full and cross bred), Brazilian Fila, Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino, American Pit Bull, American Staffordshire and Pit Bull Terriers, kittens and puppies under eight weeks of age and animals that demonstrate aggressive behaviours or show excessive chewing or cage destruction.

# Restrictions apply to the following dog breeds: Brachycephalic (snub nosed) dogs (full bred only), Bull Dog (any breed), Pug, Pekingese, Boston Terriers and Japanese Chin. These breeds may be accepted on short distance flights of five hours or less, please contact Qantas Telephone Sales for further information. On flights greater than five hours we are unable to accept the above breeds due to their brachycephalic nature.

I'd look to another airline like virgen, do they fly to Perth?

Qantas suck and are so overpriced.

Hi yes the quote I have is with Virgin and then another flight to Kalgoorlie with Skywest.

It just makes it so difficult to try and help others like Scarlet :D I was hoping she may have paved the way for some other dogs of her breed, who have tested brilliantly and have such an enormous amount to offer.

The place that you mentioned is breaking the law by releasing a Pit Bull. Legally they cannot re-home a dog of that breed to anywhere regardless of nature. You might want to edit your post to remove the name of the place and take out the breed reference to protect them. I support what they have done, think the law is wrong, but it's still law.

The place that you mentioned is breaking the law by releasing a Pit Bull. Legally they cannot re-home a dog of that breed to anywhere regardless of nature. You might want to edit your post to remove the name of the place and take out the breed reference to protect them. I support what they have done, think the law is wrong, but it's still law.

No, it is not illegal to release a Pit Bull cross. I have looked into every aspect of this with great care and concern.

She is also going to WA where BSL does not apply.

Everything has been done by the letter and will continue to be.

Thank you for your offer Holly's Mummy :D

Amstaffs are now in the same boat and you can no longer fly those either.

ETA: if Scarlet is a cross and has been breed assessed as such, she could also have been temp tested and having passed that, she could live just as any other non restricted dog in NSW can.

Scarlet need not go to WA at all, if the above process is followed.

Edited by ReadySetGo

Amstaffs are now in the same boat and you can no longer fly those either.

ETA: if Scarlet is a cross and has been breed assessed as such, she could also have been temp tested and having passed that, she could live just as any other non restricted dog in NSW can.

Scarlet need not go to WA at all, if the above process is followed.

Yes they are sadly :thumbsup:

Thank you, Scarlet is listed as a cross and is clearly a cross. We did look into breed assessment, though those contacts are difficult to find at short notice. If you can recommend anyone I would be very grateful in terms of the future.

It would most certainly be the most constuctive option, with fewer restrictions imposed.

Scarlet’s rescue has been cleared at all levels. It took two weeks, though she still needed to move into a BSL free state regardless. Hope to improve upon that in the future.

I don't get it. Either she is or isn't an APBT cross. If the pound suspects she is, then under the act they cannot release her.

The loop hole to freedom has been to use an NOI, then choose from the list of "breed assessors " many of which will be available within a day or so, then to proceed to the temperament assessment, which can also be done in a timely manner.

Given that the NOI process has 28 days to be completed, I find it difficult to believe that a BA was not availble.

The last PB to be released from a pound using the above process, took a matter of days from the time the NOI process started to completion.

I don't get it. Either she is or isn't an APBT cross. If the pound suspects she is, then under the act they cannot release her.

The loop hole to freedom has been to use an NOI, then choose from the list of "breed assessors " many of which will be available within a day or so, then to proceed to the temperament assessment, which can also be done in a timely manner.

Given that the NOI process has 28 days to be completed, I find it difficult to believe that a BA was not availble.

The last PB to be released from a pound using the above process, took a matter of days from the time the NOI process started to completion.

Thank you for the info :rainbowbridge:

I will look into a couple of things for the future. It is great to know the process does not take very long as many dogs in a shelter environment (despite breed) are living on borrowed time depending on kennel space available.

Agree this is the best way to go.

It's short sighted not to look at the bigger picture. If someone were to complian to Hawkesbury Council, over the release of a Restricted Breed or cross , that could well see the pounds hands tied and unable to release any further dogs.

If the BA & TT process is followed, no one can come back and complain that the pound has released a " dangerous animal ".

Once the process is complete and both BA & TT ( if required ) have been passed, there is then no need to ship a dog interstate, unless of course there was an adopter wanting that particular dog.

Just to Clarify, the entire release has most certainly been addressed Re Scarlet. Everything from start to finish has been addressed legally and responsibly :rainbowbridge:

I would not have it any other way - it is simply not possible any other way believe me.

My reference to looking at the bigger picture or long term issues re formal assessment is perhaps for a few very deserving crosses in the future (hopefully).

Ah, just so you know too WA is most definitely not a BSL free state... we HAVE BSL... but you can re-home here under our current legislation... However they are looking at changing and "toughening" it again, so who knows what clap they will come out with this time... :laugh:

Ah, just so you know too WA is most definitely not a BSL free state... we HAVE BSL... but you can re-home here under our current legislation... However they are looking at changing and "toughening" it again, so who knows what clap they will come out with this time... :laugh:

As long as it isn't changed to affect Scarlet Ruby's rehoming, at least she would be safe :) .

Can you advertise more widely for transport, Nic. Anti BSL pages, etc etc.