Eye Protection Prototype For Flat Faced Breeds

RuralPug

A breeder who lives not far from me was approached by a fellow who wanted to borrow a pug as a guinea pig (or would that be guinea pug? :rainbowbridge: ) to help him in his desire to design an alternative to Elizabethan collars (aka "cone") for flat-faced breeds of dogs and cats. She has been supplying models for his design and offered to take some of his prototypes (small, medium and large) to a recent pug club function for comments.

I saw the device there and offered to post pictures online, to gather opinions and comments from other pug owners. Here are the pictures:

side view:

PCOVcompNov1020091107_25.jpg

front view:

PCOVcompNov1020091107_26.jpg

Sorry my pics are not very good, but you see the general idea.The medium size is being modelled in these pictures.

Personally I was very impressed, mostly because my shins would be ever so grateful never to be bashed by another Elizabethan collar wielded by a pug at full speed, but also because the device does not impede drinking or eating and doesn't stop them curling up to sleep. It also occured to me that it would be a feasible thing to use when travelling your pug/peke/persian etc. in an open vehicle like a bike or convertible with the top down, as the doggles available are designed for dogs with muzzles.

I will pass on any comments or questions via the breeder to the designer. Who knows, you may have an opportunity for some input into the design!

Would it get "fogged up" as it covers the nostrils a fair bit? I know there are holes there but would it be better to cut the arch higher?? (If you know what I mean...)

Best test is to put it on a dog... if he needs a bulldog I can happily oblige!

I wonder if it is safe to leave on unattended?

Since the idea is to replace the Elizabethan collar, I would certainly hope so!! In fact, I would have thought safer, they won't get it wedged in the dog door for example.... :rainbowbridge:

That is an excellent design Ruralpug....after recently having one of my boys with a cone on for 4 weeks and then given the diagnosis for another op and another 4 weeks with a cone on I had to chose for the Pugs sanity to have his eye taken out.

I think he could have tolerated your design there cos he could have seen what was going on around him.

Would it get "fogged up" as it covers the nostrils a fair bit? I know there are holes there but would it be better to cut the arch higher?? (If you know what I mean...)

Best test is to put it on a dog... if he needs a bulldog I can happily oblige!

I wondered that myself - I didn't see it on long enough to judge re the fogging, but I imagine the holes would reduce fogging. However Pugs and Pekes especially tend to use sneezing as social commentary and I did wonder how often you'd need to clean sneezes off...

I'm not convinced that his "large" size would fit a bulldog - I will pass on your offer to loan a bulldog for testing. Thanks!

That is an excellent design Ruralpug....after recently having one of my boys with a cone on for 4 weeks and then given the diagnosis for another op and another 4 weeks with a cone on I had to chose for the Pugs sanity to have his eye taken out.

I think he could have tolerated your design there cos he could have seen what was going on around him.

Not my design, Sharon, although I will admit to promoting it! I know exactly what you mean re the cones cutting off vision, even the so-called transparent ones aren't really crystal clear.

Mita, what a gorgeous pic! But I think that tib has borrowed his owner's sunglasses LOL!

I will also state the obvious, for the benefit of joe public, that where the issue is to stop the dog from chewing (at abdominal stitches, for example) you would still need an Elizabethan collar IMO.

Mita, what a gorgeous pic! But I think that tib has borrowed his owner's sunglasses LOL!

Dunno, RP. Based on how they fit on a small dog's face, they may be made for dogs. And he looks so relaxed wearing them, maybe a regular thing. I know we do have to protect our tibbies' slightly popping eyes from grit & dirt blown by the wind. I was really curious when I came on the pic.

I'll ask about them on the international tibbie list.

We very recently had a rescue pug who needed surgery to remove a damaged eye. She wouldn't tolerate an elizabethan, but left her wounds alone - after her eye and her later spay.

I wouldn't have tried this one on her though as she was not a good breather. She had very pinched nostrils and mouth breathed most of the time. She snored andd gagged and regularly choked on food. I think this mask would've impeded her breathing even more.

ps. she had to have a minor surgery to widen her nostrils and assist breathing, so maybe she was a special case.

I agree with Pers. I really don't like the look of it. It is too bent over the eyes which would restrict vision, and I think it covers the nose too much.

It is a problem though, trying to find collars for flat-faced dogs. We generally trim the collars right down, not much else you can do.

dog geek - these collars to to protect the dogs from rubbing their eyes after eye surgery, etc not to stop them licking wounds. :thumbsup:

Edited by Kirty

... but can I ask a silly question: why do people not ask the vet for the bitter drops to stop the dogs licking at wounds etc?

IMO the bitter drops work for some dogs to stop boredom chewing or pleasure chewing, but the itchiness of a healing wound is a whole other dimension - dogs who are bothered by it are not going to be deterred by bitter drops. You need to block them in some way, which is mostly what the Elizabethan collar is used for.

It is usually the vet who suggests the Elizabethan collar.

Sorry a bit OT.