Dogue De Bordeaux Puppy Purchased Concern

AshSky

Hi Everyone,

I will like to get some advice, i have just recently brought a purebreed Dogue De Bordeaux puppy from a breeder in NSW. She has informed me that the papers will be sent out to me and if i don't get any response in 4 weeks than to let her know and she will chase it up. She is listed as a breeder in Dogzonline and i found her puppies through Trading Post. Anyways i had contacted DOGS NSW and they have informed me that she is registered but as NON FINANCIAL as she is required to renew her membership.

Anyways i have contacted her several occasions via email and phone including sms text and she has not responded to me or answered any of my calls. Now i am concern that she has just ripped me off but i don't want to let her get away with this if she has. Can anyone tell me what can i do if she has decided to ignore me and i don't receive my main papers. Also i have an email that she has sent me advising the price of the puppy for the main register.

Any information will be appreciated, by the way i live in NSW.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Everyone,

I will like to get some advice, i have just recently brought a purebreed Dogue De Bordeaux puppy from a breeder in NSW. She has informed me that the papers will be sent out to me and if i don't get any response in 4 weeks than to let her know and she will chase it up. She is listed as a breeder in Dogzonline and i found her puppies through Trading Post. Anyways i had contacted DOGS NSW and they have informed me that she is registered but as NON FINANCIAL as she is required to renew her membership.

Anyways i have contacted her several occasions via email and phone including sms text and she has not responded to me or answered any of my calls. Now i am concern that she has just ripped me off but i don't want to let her get away with this if she has. Can anyone tell me what can i do if she has decided to ignore me and i don't receive my main papers. Also i have an email that she has sent me advising the price of the puppy for the main register.

Any information will be appreciated, by the way i live in NSW.

So sorry to hear of this predicament but you should have done all this finding out before you purchased the dog.

Your only redress is that if the breeder does not renew their membership is through the legal system.

So sorry to hear of this predicament but you should have done all this finding out before you purchased the dog.

And how does the regular puppy buyer know to do this?? None of my friends even know of 'registered' or 'papers' 'limited' or 'main register'. It's not common knowledge so for a Joe Blow puppy buyer to go the extra length to sus out the background of the breeder is not the norm either.

When i originally got in contact with the breeder she had informed me of the pedigree of the parents of the pups and also gave me her prefix name. I rang DOG NSW and they also informed me that she is a member and her profile is also located on Dogzonline. But after when i picked up the puppy she didn't have any papers for the main register so i rang the DOG NSW again which someone else had informed me that she is non financial..So i did do my research and was given a false information from a member at DOGS NSW who also told me that she will be able to register her litters.

I will wait for another 4 weeks to see if the papers will come through, but if not than yes i will write her an email to respond to my query within 2 weeks or i will take this issue further. I just want to know if anyone else has been in this situation and what process did they take to get their main register papers or money back from the breeder.

I was not concern at all until she just never replied or got in contact with me after so many phone calls, sms and emails which i will keep as proof for the court if i need to take her.

AshSky

And how does the regular puppy buyer know to do this?? None of my friends even know of 'registered' or 'papers' 'limited' or 'main register'. It's not common knowledge so for a Joe Blow puppy buyer to go the extra length to sus out the background of the breeder is not the norm either.

Yeah I agree and they think they are doing the right thing by buying a puppy from a "Registered" Breeder and whilst in this case the puppy buyer did know about the registration papers because they were expecting puppy to be on Main Register, they have been let down and lied to by the "breeder" and may have paid more for their puppy because it was to be on the Main Register :eek: .

Unfortunately these shonky breeders play on puppy buyer's ignorance and naievty and undo the good that the reputable registered breeders do as you mainly only hear about the cases where the puppy buyer has been ripped off :o Look at how many threads there have been of new puppy buyers being duped/ripped off by shonky breeders, puppyfarmers or petshops because of their ignorance/naievty.

Being on DOL for a few years has made me a lot wiser about the practices of these shonky breeders so that when the time came for me to get a new lab pup, I picked the most renowned and highly regarded lab breeder in the country who fortunately for me doesn't live too far from me and he and his breeding partner that bred my boy have been absolutely fantastic and extremely supportive and there was no question or issue regarding timely receipt of registration papers and any information that I have requested. The quality of suport I have received and the quality of the puppy I purchased from them when he was 10 weeks old has been fantastic as he has been an absolutely awesome puppy with a to die for temperament, brilliant bite inhibition and of course a beautiful specimen of a Labrador - in my eyes of course he is perfect :laugh:

When i originally got in contact with the breeder she had informed me of the pedigree of the parents of the pups and also gave me her prefix name. I rang DOG NSW and they also informed me that she is a member and her profile is also located on Dogzonline. But after when i picked up the puppy she didn't have any papers for the main register so i rang the DOG NSW again which someone else had informed me that she is non financial..So i did do my research and was given a false information from a member at DOGS NSW who also told me that she will be able to register her litters.

I will wait for another 4 weeks to see if the papers will come through, but if not than yes i will write her an email to respond to my query within 2 weeks or i will take this issue further. I just want to know if anyone else has been in this situation and what process did they take to get their main register papers or money back from the breeder.

I was not concern at all until she just never replied or got in contact with me after so many phone calls, sms and emails which i will keep as proof for the court if i need to take her.

AshSky

before you get cranky with her and i dont blame you either. surely you spoke to her by phone before you picked up your puppy?

call her, tell her what you do know and ask. is the delay because of problems she has health or emotional? can you assist in any way as you soo wish to get your puppys papers.

honest, all courts do is bleed you of your money, have a friend in that mess right now. its soo sterile and money sucking.

any chance of a visit to talk to her?

i get depression really bad so i know how much it can paralyse you, a month or months can dissaprear and leave u wondering, "what happened" despite the best of intentions. she might be in a similar boat, or simply have other problems that have messed things up.

maybe i shouldnt air dirty laundry? but for example i have purebred horses that some of them are 17 years old and never registered, only discovered this year why i couldnt bring myself to do it, was subconsiously afraid that to do so would remind my ex i was still alive, and thus unfinished business and come after me. took a doc with a ph degree to discover why and all those years wasted. the stringy incident was just another nail in the distrust of the subhuman race, there are many with this silent nightmare, since i began talking about it to friends the number who have said, yes i know, is suprising.

dont bounce, aint worth getting her back up, be nice, be pleasant and be concerned for the breeder. and hopefully she will get her renewal done and dusted and your papers on their way. best of luck.

Edited by asal

AshSky

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I'd be starting with a letter to DOGS NSW outlining your scenario, emphasising that YOU RELIED ON ADVICE FROM DOGS NSW THAT THE BREEDER WAS A MEMBER and purchased accordingly. I'd be asking them to intercede with the member on your behalf. I hope that produces some results.

ETA: Your next port of call if Dogs NSW don't come through should be the NSW Dept of Fair Trading (or equivalent). Target Dogs NSW for action, not the breeder. They have more to lose.

Edited by poodlefan

AshSky

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I'd be starting with a letter to DOGS NSW outlining your scenario, emphasising that YOU RELIED ON ADVICE FROM DOGS NSW THAT THE BREEDER WAS A MEMBER and purchased accordingly. I'd be asking them to intercede with the member on your behalf. I hope that produces some results.

yes good idea. I hope to see you have your puppies papers soon.

AshSky

Maybe you should have told us all this in the first place. :laugh:

My only advise would be to contact the person to whom you spoke to at Dogs NSW in the first place.

Anyway the breeder of your dog may just re new their membership along with their prefix and all will be ok.

Well Clyde it appears people come on here and complain quick enough.

Why don't they come onto the list and ask before they buy ?. :)

We would give them good sound advice as what to do.

What's to say that her membership hasn't just lapsed and she is a bit slow in renewing it? Maybe she was going to send her membership renewal off with the puppy registrations? Maybe she hadn't paid the stud fee and was waiting for the paperwork to be signed?

It doesn't HAVE to be sinister. Yes, it could well be that there is a problem, but there are also some logical explanations so just sit back, take a deep breath and start working through some of the advice given here.

Being unfinancial isn't a crime. Heck, if somebody had rung the TCA about me up until a few weeks ago, they would have been told that *I* was unfinancial. All it took was a phone call and hey presto! financial again.

Thank you so much everyone for your guidance, well i did contact the vet that did the 1st vaccination for my beautiful pup and it so happens to be that the breeder owes a shop nearby so i don't think she can hide from my phone call if needed. But i will get in contact in another 4 weeks and fingers cross that i get my main register papers :)

The advice people get usually involves buying your pup from a "registered breeder" as one of the most important things they could do . If they then find a registered breeder in the list on a site like this, they feel confident that they must be OK. If someone came on this forum and asked if a particular breeder was also a reputable breeder, could they get inside information? If a breeder sounds honest and believable (and they must do when selling a pup) people tend to want to trust them. When things go wrong and the breeder ignores all communication then people get worried then angry. While most ofthe replies to puppy buyers concerns are helpful and positive, there is a tendency for some to sound defensive of the breeder and almost blaming the buyer for "not" checking enough or not giving the breeder time to get things right. It only takes a minute to call someone back and reassure them. That's often all the buyer wants and needs. The next time they hear someone recommend buying their puppy from a reputable registered breeder they may put them off the idea after their experience. I know breeders must have to deal with more problem puppy buyers than the other way round and most on this forum sound like they try very hard to do the right thing by both puppy and new owner but it's a shame when the wonderful experience of bringing a puppy into your life is spoiled by worrying about having bought from the wrong breeder just because they stop communicating when there's a problem.

Edited by Guest

Posshut you are right, I have wanted this breed of dog for a while and done so much research of this breed and breeders. I thought i did do the right thing by asking them questions and i thought she was great when she was asking me questions aswell.. I even google about the prefix and her name to see if there was any comments and it was clear. I contacted Dogs NSW and they even told me she was clear. I trusted this breeder until she stopped communicating once i received my puppy.

The reason why i never signed any transfer paper is because she was waiting until puppies are 8 weeks just to confirm which ones should be on 'mains or limited'. My only concern is that she isn't calling me back, sms and email and so i am now wondering how would it go when i try to get my puppy main papers through if i can't get in contact with her now. Oh yeah did i also mention that her home number that she provided to me is now disconnected....

The only way i can contact to her is by mobile and email and i have tried to contact her almost 10 times a day and she still refuses to pick up her mobile or even reply to my email..

Well lets hope that i see my papers sometime this year lol.

We just purchased our first dogue de bordeaux but won't get her for a few weeks. I hope we don't have the same kind of problems :S we have never had pedigree dogs before so we are learning as we go. Got to start somewhere I guess.

I think that if you have paid for a dog on main register, then legally you should get what you were promised. If nothing happens in 4 weeks. Contact Dogs NSW...I am sure they can advise you of the next step. I guess, like anything else that you purchase, if you don't get what you pay for then there are actions you can take.

The advice people get usually involves buying your pup from a "registered breeder" as one of the most important things they could do . If they then find a registered breeder in the list on a site like this, they feel confident that they must be OK. If someone came on this forum and asked if a particular breeder was also a reputable breeder, could they get inside information? If a breeder sounds honest and believable (and they must do when selling a pup) people tend to want to trust them. When things go wrong and the breeder ignores all communication then people get worried then angry. While most ofthe replies to puppy buyers concerns are helpful and positive, there is a tendency for some to sound defensive of the breeder and almost blaming the buyer for "not" checking enough or not giving the breeder time to get things right. It only takes a minute to call someone back and reassure them. That's often all the buyer wants and needs. The next time they hear someone recommend buying their puppy from a reputable registered breeder they may put them off the idea after their experience. I know breeders must have to deal with more problem puppy buyers than the other way round and most on this forum sound like they try very hard to do the right thing by both puppy and new owner but it's a shame when the wonderful experience of bringing a puppy into your life is spoiled by worrying about having bought from the wrong breeder just because they stop communicating when there's a problem.

To find out if the breeder is financial all you have to do is ask for their current membership card to be sighted.

This will also have their Prefix on it.

I offer all new buyers this privilege and the phone number of my states controlling body should they wish to check.

We just purchased our first dogue de bordeaux but won't get her for a few weeks. I hope we don't have the same kind of problems :S we have never had pedigree dogs before so we are learning as we go. Got to start somewhere I guess.

I think that if you have paid for a dog on main register, then legally you should get what you were promised. If nothing happens in 4 weeks. Contact Dogs NSW...I am sure they can advise you of the next step. I guess, like anything else that you purchase, if you don't get what you pay for then there are actions you can take.

Hi Emileigh, i hope all goes well with your purchase..this is also my first pedigree puppy and i'm so glad to have her, she means the world to me, its like having a new baby that won't let you sleep lol. She is still currently getting use to her surrounding so the barking at night is very much new to me at the moment waking up every 30mins to her howling or barking. I hope to keep everyone updated on receiving my papers. Well i have the parents pedigree papers (copy). But fingers cross i will get mine also and i will make sure that i get it or else i will be taking it further...

Its not right what these breeders are doing and hope that there will be new laws with purchasing puppies on pedigrees.