One Answer

Steve

Oh this is a tricky topic.

While my heart goes out to those with pets that have to rent I can see the landlords side too here.

Trouble is it is so hard to remove bad tenants pets or not.

When someone has worked so hard to get their investment property they have the right to choose the tenants they want.

My daughter rented her house out this year. Big animal lover & owner but she did say she didn't mind a cat but knowing how irresponsible people could be with dogs & new polished floors, pool & beautiful garden she would not trust them with a dog.

She got a cat for her 18th birthday & has rented some crap places in the past just to keep him with her, cat is 11 now :confused:

I did tell her to be a little more lenient depending on the dog but knowing how hard she has worked & gone without so much to get this far I can see her point.

I don't see how this can be done. It has to be voluntary ? Laws would be so unfair & shrink the rental market.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

re rentals, is there any avenue for a separate style of contract for animal owners like not just an extra bond but some sort of insurance? we have insurance for everything else..... I mean not owner/house insurance but insurance for the renter that coverrs damage to the house they are renting, so if they have a 'clean slate' the insurance is less than if they don't etc so those who never do any damage are not up for a large amount.

It could be available though real estate agents when you rent and may make more people open to allowing pets. When we were thinking of renting our house out I said i didn't mind what they had, cow, horse, dogs etc. It's very sad that so many cannot find a home with animals..

re rentals, is there any avenue for a separate style of contract for animal owners like not just an extra bond but some sort of insurance? we have insurance for everything else..... I mean not owner/house insurance but insurance for the renter that coverrs damage to the house they are renting, so if they have a 'clean slate' the insurance is less than if they don't etc so those who never do any damage are not up for a large amount.

It could be available though real estate agents when you rent and may make more people open to allowing pets. When we were thinking of renting our house out I said i didn't mind what they had, cow, horse, dogs etc. It's very sad that so many cannot find a home with animals..

I mentioned something like this earlier, I think it would be a great idea!! Not only for the landlord but as a tenant I would love to have some insurance in case any damage occured from the animals (so far so good lol but we did have a dog go through a window some years back, paid for it to be repaired no worries but accidents like that can happen. Or when one of the dogs got impaled on a steel bar, if he'd gotten onto the carpet with all the blood it could have been a big problem to clean up (again would be happy to pay the repair but having insurance as a backup would be great).

Guest bigdogg

I have a rental house - the tenants have a dog.. I have no dramas with dogs that are outside..

It has chewed the bottom stairs and they need replacing.. Who is the silly mug that has to pay for this? ME..

Thankfully, the dog doesnt go in the house.. It is allowed down stairs and underneath (enclosed).

I know a couple that are renting close by, their dogs are inside.. There are claw marks / scratches all over the polished floors.. They dont care at all. Landlord cant do anything as they send the dogs away when the inspections are on..

rules are rules - unfortunately through lack of respect amongst other things rules mean SFA in todays world.

If i was looking at a renting and it said no dogs - well that means no dogs.. Id find something else..

I hadn't been on DOL for a few days and missed the thread about the sub-forum on renting with pets. I'd be interested in joining in if I could help and participate if it is not too late. I tried to pm you Steve but your pm box is full. :laugh:

Edited by LabTested

I have a rental house - the tenants have a dog.. I have no dramas with dogs that are outside..

It has chewed the bottom stairs and they need replacing.. Who is the silly mug that has to pay for this? ME..

Thankfully, the dog doesnt go in the house.. It is allowed down stairs and underneath (enclosed).

I know a couple that are renting close by, their dogs are inside.. There are claw marks / scratches all over the polished floors.. They dont care at all. Landlord cant do anything as they send the dogs away when the inspections are on..

rules are rules - unfortunately through lack of respect amongst other things rules mean SFA in todays world.

If i was looking at a renting and it said no dogs - well that means no dogs.. Id find something else..

People like this make the rest of us look bad! I would have no hesitation in paying to repairthe stairs upon leaving the property. Or earlier if it became a safety issue.