Musings On Dap

We use DAP at my clinic in the hospital ward, sometimes it works, sometimes the dogs are just too worried about being in the hospital I guess. I also use the spray if I feel the situation warrants it.

I tried it when I introduced my last new puppy into the house but I couldn't tell whether it had any effect. Similarly I have tried it in the waiting room when taking puppy classes but again, it seems hard to assess.

Recently due to one dog's injury, my three have had restricted access to outdoors, the last 2 days something has majorly spooked my injured boy (only in the mornings) and whilst going through my process of deduction I brought home a DAP diffuser tonight - figured it can't hurt. :eek:

Tonight I realised my Stafford girl who would usually start making noise to be 'taken upstairs to bed' :thumbsup: is still quiet as a mouse, fast asleep....interesting.

Care to discuss your experiences with DAP?

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

I'd be interested in hearing about people's experiences.

I'm using rescue remedy and have ordered some DAP spray to use for my boy at agility comps where there are a lot of dogs close in together. He stresses at the start line and the RR seems to be helping so I figure the DAP can't hurt.

Will share after the weekend.

Agility Dogs I would be interested to hear how it goes for you. The rep tells me the actual DAP collars will be in the country by Jan/Feb next year, they are just waiting on AVMPA approval (again!). The collar will last 30 days. The spray lasts about 2 hours then you need to re-apply to a bandana or towel.

GG85 Vet Clinics here in Au, although I do know people who bring it in from the UK at a cheaper price, however I guess at any time customs can decide they are confiscating the product.

I really want to try the collars when they come to Aus, I have the spray, and haven't really noticed much of a difference, but I spray it in their crates before we go to a trial. I don't think the diffuser would be effective because I have a large house and the dogs are not always in the same spot.

Agility Dogs I would be interested to hear how it goes for you. The rep tells me the actual DAP collars will be in the country by Jan/Feb next year, they are just waiting on AVMPA approval (again!). The collar will last 30 days. The spray lasts about 2 hours then you need to re-apply to a bandana or towel.

GG85 Vet Clinics here in Au, although I do know people who bring it in from the UK at a cheaper price, however I guess at any time customs can decide they are confiscating the product.

Fingers crossed!! It will be a really good test tomorrow night (as long as it arrives as promised). It is a ground that he has always struggled on so it should be interesting.

It's so hard to gauge what is actually working and what isn't - you can't control all the variables, but I figure that even if it only makes me feel better then it has to rub off on the boy!

Will update next week.

Has anyone ever used this spray before? Ive got it for Tess and to be honest im not sure if it works sometimes and or if its actually just fancy water of some sort and its all a big co-incidence that it seems to work on occasion...like if its a psychological thing on my part

I have it in my foster dog cupboard but haven't used it yet, I'll let you know this weekend. I also have the DAP stray to test out too.

A friend of mine works in a pound/shelter situation where they have been using DAP. She is of the opinion that it doesn't result in changed behaviour as a lessening in the intensity of certain behaviours - subtle, but it is there.

Not sure if that makes sense, but it is her observation.

I have used the plug in DAP succesfully when my rescue girl was initially very anxious and it also worked fantastic for my older storm phobic boy - when it was turned on he would sleep during a storm, instead of salivating, pacing and shaking. :)

K9: I have had the opportunity to complete quite a lot of testing with DAP.

Considerations:

DAP is helpful to a dog that has had a normal 0 - 8 weeks life schedule and environment, if there were trauma or stress in this period, I have found DAP either not helpful or aversive / unsettling.

The best most consistent results we have had are with the Diffusers, plugged in the home and left running constantly, the effects after a 3 week intro period have been quite good.

Tried the collars and the spray, with inconsistent results at best. There were a few dogs that showed really solid improvements but the majority seemed unaffected so we decided only to stock the Diffuser and not the spray or collar. This may change though if we find better results.