Kelly The Kelpie-border Collie Cross Escapes Death Row

Mila's Mum

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensl...f-1225962014217

MEET the pooch who has gone from doggy death row to the front seat of a flash sports car to enjoy the high life on the Gold Coast glitter strip.

Kelpie-border collie cross Kelly was going nowhere fast before the Carlton family from Sorrento checked the internet pages for Coombabah's Animal Welfare League shelter.

Brett Carlton recalled the family had just lost their 12-year-old kelpie Madeline and were thinking about buying a puppy from the pound when they saw four-year-old Kelly needed a home.

"She was in bad shape. She had been in solitary for 10 days, kept in isolation due to intestinal worms," Mr Carlton said.

"When we first met her she was highly strung, but you could see she had a beautiful nature.

"And I think she realised she had kicked a goal (coming here)."

Kelly's day at her new waterfront home begins with a poached egg for breakfast, followed by a walk to a nearby coffee shop where she shares a muffin with her master.

On warm days she enjoys a regular dip in the backyard pool and in the cooler months wears a Drizabone jacket during boat trips down the canal.

She has her own backseat buddy chair in the family BMW, but nothing compares with her favourite transport – up front in the open-top of Mr Carlton's '76 Corvette. She loves it so much she now wears the moniker Corvette Kelly on her collar.

Kelly is also treated to regular sessions at a grooming salon. "We take her there once a month to be clipped and they keep her for five hours," Mr Carlton said.

Lunch and dinner are a gourmet affair for Kelly – premium mince steak, steamed vegetables and brown rice.

Posh Pets owner Lyn Chessher was amazed to learn of the dog's transformation when the family visited her Marina Mirage store last week.

"She got a personalised collar which was done in diamontes. It's a rags-to-riches story," Ms Chessher said.

Animal Welfare League of Queensland public relations manager Gabrielle Wheaton urged other families to help the shelter.

"We had 30 new arrivals yesterday," she said. "There are 170 animals waiting for a place. It's a never-ending battle."

Link HERE to picture gallery

Edited by Mila's Mum

despite the money ...

why would you send a BC x kelpie to a groomer for 5 hours every month? I dont even know what you could do for that long to a dog unless it was an extremely hard to groom breed or matted to the bejeezus ... but I love the supermarket excelpet brush they have for her at home :(

and dog hanging out window of corvette ... sigh ... tether your dogs before they fall out on the road ...

I'm on my phone, so I haven't seen the photos, but we had a border x kelpie called Kelly who lived to a ripe old age of 16. She's the girl in my avatar pic. She probably wasn't as spoiled as the one in this article, but she was loved dearly and is still sorely missed.

Nice story. She's vert loved.

I often think how lucky Buster is, we found him dumped in a carpark at 8 weeks old in Katherine, NT. Now he has half my bed, custom made collars and leashes, premium food, a new coat every winter and a family that are actually interested in understanding him and working with him.

I often wonder how his life would have turned out if Mum hadn't picked him up that day.

Lucky girl!

Yeah i thought the bit about the groomer was weird too!

She certainly looks very umm plump these days...

TBH its great she is in a very loving home, but I don't really think dogs appreciate things like diamonte collars etc. It does look like she gets included in a lot of activities which is what dogs really DO like.