How Long Can I Leave The Bandage On

Rebanne

It's not until something happens that you realise how lucky you have been in term of injuries etc to your dogs when you don't know the answer to a fairly basic question!

Fern was in a scuffle tonight with one of the others resulting in a badly torn ear. The vet bandage lasted all of two hours. I am hopeful my attempt will last longer. The vets said to leave it, what they had done, on till Sat and take her back then to get the ear checked out. The ear is very hot and swollen and I am not so sure on leaving any bandage on for 48 hrs without checking on things underneath.

I've used very sticky stuff over some non stick dressing on her actual ear then vet wrap in a rough figure 8 around the good ear to keep her hurt ear close so she can't do more damage to it by shaking.

Any thoughts anyone?

and Fern did get a shot of long acting antibiotics too.

Hi Rebanne.

Usually we recommend that the bandage is changed at 3 days. We usually also clean the area (i'm assuming it didn't require sutures) and then swabs are applied to the injured area and then the entire ear is bandaged with elastoplast to stop it from coming off. The dogs usually look like they have an icecream cone for an ear.

You say she had a shot of long acting antibiotics - was that all or were you given some more for at home? Also, an anti-inflammatory might help with the swelling and inflammation. If you have Metacam, I'd give her some (provided she has no kidney or liver problems)

Anyway, not much else to add, but I would follow the vets instructions and leave it for 3 days.

Thanks Shellsboers, nothing left to stitch that I could see. The vets did mention maybe cleaning it up and stitching it but I assumed that was to make it look nice and neat, rather then the ragged edges it is now. I will ring and clairfy tomorrow. It was just after 6pm, they wanted to finish up, I am under an illness cloud myself, so I know I didn't take it all in. I will ask about some anti-inflammatories as well. I used a lot of elastoplast on her ear.

Currently Fern is asleep on my bed.

Poor Fern.

Ears are very vascular and they can be a real bugger when they are torn.

Suturing is best if possible.

Before I have seen ears bandaged for two days,bandages removed and ear clean(while being held still to avoid shaking of head) then rebandaged for another two days etc. One flick of the ear and the clots come out/off and it bleeds like buggery again.

Hope Fern is feeling better now