Grong Grong

SkySoaringMagpie

:thumbsup: I've got your fridge magnet on my fridge Bohunt! I met you in Albury - my lovely vet got his Border puppy from you.

I remember! Thanks for saying hi and maybe we will catch up again this weekend if the Gods will let us! :rofl:

Cheers

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just spoken to the ALL TRANSIT MOTEL. They have been told that the show will go ahead regardless but the challenge will be to get there. They are currently brainstorming safe routes for us and the community have a meeting on Wednesday to make decisions. She said that their current dilemma is where to put us all (All Transit Guests) if their road is awash. My response was if it gets that bad then I will be staying at home and not risking dogs and myself for a few possible challenge points. :thumbsup: She will let me know on Wednesday after the meeting. Routes via Wagga Wagga and surrounds are not a goer now or later this week and Vics will need to find a way well to the west of the area.

Will keep you posted if I hear more.

Regards

Just spoken to the ALL TRANSIT MOTEL. They have been told that the show will go ahead regardless but the challenge will be to get there. They are currently brainstorming safe routes for us and the community have a meeting on Wednesday to make decisions. She said that their current dilemma is where to put us all (All Transit Guests) if their road is awash. My response was if it gets that bad then I will be staying at home and not risking dogs and myself for a few possible challenge points. :rofl: She will let me know on Wednesday after the meeting. Routes via Wagga Wagga and surrounds are not a goer now or later this week and Vics will need to find a way well to the west of the area.

Will keep you posted if I hear more.

Regards

Thanks. So they are saying there won't be a route between Wagga and Grongy - that's us knocked out then. :thumbsup: I hope they can find a safe way to get the VIC judges there.

If it's so bad in surrounding areas you'd think the show would be cancelled, can't be safe travelling to and from?!

ETA: on the news this morning the news man was standing somewhere (Wagga I think) and all I could see behind him the pitch of a roof, the remainder of the house/shed (whatever it was) was totally under water :thumbsup:

Please stay safe everyone.

Edited by Aziah

Spotted this under Sturt Highway road diversions:

Eastbound (from Narrandera): the Newell Highway to Grong Grong; Coolamon Road to Coolamon; Coolamon Road to Wagga Wagga

That suggests that (at least for the meantime) you can get from Wagga to Grongy. I hope that stays the case. You can get to Grongy via Harden and Ardlethan from Canberra it seems. :rofl:

ETA: After a morning email war, it appears the C&RSM (Canberra and Region Sighthound Mafia*) are still keen to go and may even convoy down. :thumbsup: Here's hoping Grongy is on!

*And one Toy Poodle.

Edited by poodlefan

Grong Grong is 10 ks from the river so should be ok. The best way would be through Wagga to Coolamon for me. The road is closed between Forest Hill and Wagga so you would need to go around. Canberans go Harden/Junee/Coolamon.

The river is now forecaste to peak at 9.7 instead of 10 so flooding won't be so bad at this stage. Need to wait and see what rain we get on Wed and Thurs.

In all honesty, I am surprised that these shows have not been cancelled based on current situations in and around the area.

With the further forecast of rain mid week I would think that the shows would be cancelled due to the fact that near-by areas have been declared natural disaster areas and areas further down the Murrumbidgee River are on flood watch which is being notified on a regular basis.

Also I would have a concern for safety for all of the judges, committee and exhibitors and dogs who have to travel into the area and may have to take detours due to floods and bad roads or be possibly be exposed to high risk situations.

But hey, I am just looking at the safety side of things and the fact that more rain is forecast. Lets face it the club can't be held responsible for what is considered an act of God and I get that the local community would miss out on income but to me safety is paramount and should always be the primary factor in any decision.

I will be watching this thread to see what may become of the coming weekend.

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

I rang dee up today and the show is going ahead this weekend as i'm travelling from melbourne she told me wat way to go but i forgot now go through albury and wagga and some other places

Into Wagga Wagga, turn left at the round about (Colin Knott Drive) at Barbeques Galore - take the Coolamon Road through Coolamon and Ganmain on to Grong Grong - just follow the signs

So there is no need to go through/near Narrandera? When we went to Grong Grong last year we stayed at Narranderah which may be why I'm so confused.

Steve's courier that they use for areas out to Griffith is expecting that he won't be able to get through from tomorrow and everyone was recommended by him to send anything they had before today.

So there is no need to go through/near Narrandera? When we went to Grong Grong last year we stayed at Narranderah which may be why I'm so confused.

Steve's courier that they use for areas out to Griffith is expecting that he won't be able to get through from tomorrow and everyone was recommended by him to send anything they had before today.

I'd say it would be best not to count our chickens before tomorrow. The prediction of up to 100mm of rain in the area will create chaos methinks. :rofl:

I'm with Poodlefan and as much as I want to show here I am having serious doubts. Emergency services will be under enormous strain as it is and do they need a mass of dog exhibitors trying to get through if not 100% safe for the WHOLE of the weekend? I am in Kilmore and the thunderstorm has not stopped. Golf course, that I look over, is flooded in many areas. We need to be completely sure that the roads are clear and uncompromised before embarking on the journey.

I'm with Poodlefan and as much as I want to show here I am having serious doubts. Emergency services will be under enormous strain as it is and do they need a mass of dog exhibitors trying to get through if not 100% safe for the WHOLE of the weekend? I am in Kilmore and the thunderstorm has not stopped. Golf course, that I look over, is flooded in many areas. We need to be completely sure that the roads are clear and uncompromised before embarking on the journey.

I'm also conscious of not adding to the SES's burden if things are dicey Bohunt.

We'll know more after the meeting in Grong Grong tonight.

I would also be happy to see it cancelled and the money used for a super-dooper show next year. Takes all the risk and uncertainty away and those that work can cancel leave and save it for another day. I am in a group and we have all agreed to touch base later tomorrow and make a decision plus we will travel in convey (if going) to look after each other.