Judges:

Saturday Novice Kate Eltringham(Vic)

Restricted Kate Eltringham (Vic)

All Age Noel Eltringham (Vic)

Sunday Novice Noel Eltringham (Vic)

Restricted Noel Eltringham (Vic)

All Age Kate Eltringham (Vic)

Send entries to: Trial Secretary, 4 Shiels Place CURTIN ACT 2605

A stamped self addressed envelope should be included with your entry for details of site, map etc

Entries close: Wednesday 20 July 2011

Entry fees: Novice: $14 Member/$16 non-member

Restricted and All Age: $18 Member/$20 non-member

Vetting: 8am-8.30am on the trial site. Trial start: 9am

Inquiries: 0418 246 700

Edited by FHRP

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was in a bit of a hurry before :)

Good luck this weekend mollipop and rubyroo! I hope that Molly copes OK with the work and we'd love to see you down here at the end of the month mollipop :D

Just keeping you on your toes ;)

More success today..that Wagon wheel ex works a treat!

After doing that exercise before each session, our DR is deadly :rofl: I wish I had done that a lot earlier. Certainly a lightbulb moment for the BC ;)

Thanks again.

Awesome :thumbsup:

Good luck to everyone trialling this weekend!

OMG FHRP field trialling is awesome! :thumbsup: I had a blast today seeing the dogs do thier thing and the atmosphere was great. I took my camera and have about 100 pics of a Brittany I was smitten with who came 2nd, 1st and 3rd went to nice GSPs!! There was only 7 dogs in, 3 Britts and 4 GSP's - two of the GSPs were older dogs and I wanted to steal them :D

There was not too many birds around but enough that almost all the dogs had a chance to fill the card. In WA we fire over the dogs but the trials are 'non shooting' events and we are unable to fire live shot. (Which I don't mind since I am a bit pathetic - I am ok once they are already dead!)

The pups had a chance to hear gunfire from a distance too! I kept leaving my camera in the car so the shots are a bit pathetic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46087317@N04/sets/72157627206707160/

So glad you enjoyed the day RV! How do they do the retrieve at WA field trials? I've only seen what they do at the Pointer & Setter trials in NSW, but the retrieve requirements are a bit different in the Utility Trials (and Vic has shooting trials :))

So glad you enjoyed the day RV! How do they do the retrieve at WA field trials? I've only seen what they do at the Pointer & Setter trials in NSW, but the retrieve requirements are a bit different in the Utility Trials (and Vic has shooting trials :))

It was an Open trial and there were two retrieves, a land retrieve and a water retrieve. I don't know the technical terms for retrieving. The land retrieve was one dog getting the bird and the other dog had to sit there about 5 meters from the retrieving and stay still with his handler 3 or so meters away.

The water retrieve just seemed like a normal retrieve but was a bit harder, the bird landed in cover over the other side of the river.

Thanks RV. The water retrieve is done at every trial. Was the land retrieve on quail or pigeon or other game?

They were done on small birds - I think quail? Definately not pigeon because one of the people who failed but needed to do a retrieve so a passing dog would have a retrieve to show thier stay skills asked to use a pigeon and one was taken out specifically.

I take it the point of the land retrieve is so prove the bracemate is steady to shot and retrieve when his handler is not close up. And that the dog can retrieve in the field that it worked on and not go off hunting, mouth the bird, find the bird ect.

They were done on small birds - I think quail? Definately not pigeon because one of the people who failed but needed to do a retrieve so a passing dog would have a retrieve to show thier stay skills asked to use a pigeon and one was taken out specifically.

Thanks, sounds like quail :) I believe that's what they use in QLD, which IMO is what it should be as that's the game they're hunting. So, a dog has to do both a retrieve, and be the dog in the stay for another dog? That makes sense.

I take it the point of the land retrieve is so prove the bracemate is steady to shot and retrieve when his handler is not close up. And that the dog can retrieve in the field that it worked on and not go off hunting, mouth the bird, find the bird ect.

The land retrieve in a trial where game can't be shot is to replicate what happens in a 'shooting' trial. Utility Gundogs are expected to retrieve the game directly that they've found and flushed, with a soft mouth. A dog is also meant to demonstrate steadiness when it's bracemates completes a retrieve, as does the retrieveing dog when there is another dog close by.

Edited by FHRP

Thanks for the schedule, FHRP.

I gave my entries to the trial secretary yesterday.

I haven't seen a field trial but watched some GSP's flushing out little birds yesterday.

Really amazing to watch them work.

Molly seemed to have no problems working on Saturday. She came second in Novice and had no ill effects after her operation.

I went back on Sunday and was persuaded to trial in Restricted (due to people not turning up they would not have had enough handlers to run the stake).

Well I gave them a little fright cos Molly nailed the first run and the judge told me I was winning the comp so far. It was an easy mark then a blind up the side of a steep hill. She just about went straight to it without any yelling from me - I didn't have a whistle.

For the second run she had to dive into a river and didn't want to so I quit then rather than force her and have her undo her healing.

Rubyroo was the only one left in Restricted at that stage so hopefully she has some good news.

Hi All!! We had a lovely cold and wet weekend up in the blue mountains! Saturday was just embarassing, Stinger just sat there and looked at me when I said fetch! He was determined not to go swimming! but after yelling and screaming like a crazy mad women he got in. We were out of the first run. He retreived the mark but not the blind it was very tight to what I have been training so more homework. He did finish the other runs not to badly. Sunday we managed to finish all 3 runs and place 1st!! So, very excited!! (not real happy about his score I think we only just made it he has scored higher so I know he can do better) Mollipop and the other girls did really well, but really who would want to go swimming! (so cold) Hope you all had a great weekend. :)

Congrats, Rubyroo!!

The trauma of me doing Restricted was all worthwhile with you getting your pass.

What did you have to do for the last run?

Hope you got home before midnight!

Thanks for the congrats, everyone.

I'm sure your support is helping Molly to a speedy recovery.

Mollipop I cant thank you enough for making the journey all the way on Sunday, very much appreciated!! :D

Our last run was a water blind (leave the dog in the hide(dog supposed to stay not break :mad ), the bird was cast and then shot) and and mark a bit further along the hill than the 2nd run (I think he went for a run here, as he seemed to take his time??). So lots of training for our last trial for the season in ACT, if we get enough entries!

Go rubyroo :cheer: Sounds like a tough weekend of trialling!!!

Mainly a question for Spotted Devil - Did I remeber reading you trained Em to retrieve using the Shirley Chong dumbbell method?

Pretty much - a bit bastardised though as the little bugger was too quick for a clicker :laugh: She had an excellent front first and then it was front, sniff dumbbell, verbal marker, treat etc I train a very formal present which keeps the criteria clear and is great for obedience. Also quickly moved to lots of articles to generalize the retrieve....wood, metal, leather but you can use anything and everything in the house.

ETA: I was training that separately to doing walking singles. So one building drive and the other building self control.

Edited by The Spotted Devil