Retrieving & Field Training Talk

ETA: I was training that separately to doing walking singles. So one building drive and the other building self control.

So what kind of present would you ask for when she brought the dummies back while you were still shaping the hold in front?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go rubyroo :cheer: Sounds like a tough weekend of trialling!!!

Mainly a question for Spotted Devil - Did I remeber reading you trained Em to retrieve using the Shirley Chong dumbbell method?

Pretty much - a bit bastardised though as the little bugger was too quick for a clicker :laugh: She had an excellent front first and then it was front, sniff dumbbell, verbal marker, treat etc I train a very formal present which keeps the criteria clear and is great for obedience. Also quickly moved to lots of articles to generalize the retrieve....wood, metal, leather but you can use anything and everything in the house.

ETA: I was training that separately to doing walking singles. So one building drive and the other building self control.

Around what age was this?(Can you tell I have a pup :laugh:) We are doing play retrieves at the moment in the hall which I think is where you start with a baby (10 weeks atm).

So what kind of present would you ask for when she brought the dummies back while you were still shaping the hold in front?

All I looked for was her running back to me with the dummy....lots of running in the opposite direction, crouching down and acting like an idiot helps :laugh:

Go rubyroo :cheer: Sounds like a tough weekend of trialling!!!

Mainly a question for Spotted Devil - Did I remeber reading you trained Em to retrieve using the Shirley Chong dumbbell method?

Pretty much - a bit bastardised though as the little bugger was too quick for a clicker :laugh: She had an excellent front first and then it was front, sniff dumbbell, verbal marker, treat etc I train a very formal present which keeps the criteria clear and is great for obedience. Also quickly moved to lots of articles to generalize the retrieve....wood, metal, leather but you can use anything and everything in the house.

Around what age was this?(Can you tell I have a pup :laugh:) We are doing play retrieves at the moment in the hall which I think is where you start with a baby (10 weeks atm).

Speaking of puppies, how is the little mite????

I let Em guide me quite a bit as I was not going by retrieving books. Em really enjoys performing behaviours that are very precise with very clear criteria. It seems to give her a point of focus for all her drive and she shows much more control. There was a point she reached when the lack of a clear criteria for delivery seemed to really frustrate her - she started circling me and almost offering different behaviours. I would need to check the videos but it was somewhere between 5-7 months? I concentrated on the delivery for a week and she was so much more confident when I started training again. I don't think there's a hard and fast rule. Plus, as long as you keep things fun and positive you can fix things as you go. I've learned that mistakes are perfectly ok as long as you acknowledge and fix them. Em decided that anything wooden was chewable (darn sticks!!!) so I have shaped the dumbbell all over again, really concentrating on no chewing (never chews dummies/birds). She only needed one lesson before she worked it out and the odd refresher does wonders for her retrieves in the field. She has a full understanding now and even delivers happy bumpers beautifully. I still use a high reward rate. When we started water retrieves and using birds, I didn't worry about the present but reverted to running away again as it's very novel for a youngster. Also helps prevent shaking/dropping dummy from the water. Em likes to parade her birdies to the thrower (I think she's just SO excited) so I played my adaptation of "The 2 Food Game" called "The 2 Bird Game" :D

All I looked for was her running back to me with the dummy....lots of running in the opposite direction, crouching down and acting like an idiot helps :laugh:

Great, thanks for that, I've done a fair bit of this with my current two and will do even more with a future pupsmile.gif

Sometimes I think I have a she devil! :eek: Then she falls asleep :laugh: She is very much go, go, go! And very clever. I sometimes feel bad I am going to let her down.

The other day she accidentaly had her first swim (she copied Toby and jumped in the creek) and today she was happy to wade out to her belly :thumbsup: We have also been doing a little bit of play retrieves with fluffy paint rollers (not so good at bringing back :) ) But she loves to pick up and carry things around and if I throw something she chases after it and picks it up :D

ETA - the video from today.

Edited by RallyValley

She sounds very much like my puppy, RV. Loves to run out after something but then gets interested in different smells and gets distracted.

Think I will put her on a long lead and gently pull her back in. I took her to a Retrieving trial last weekend and she was so good. Showed no fear of the gun noise or all the other goings on. She paddled in the river but didn't swim so I'm happy with that as a start.

I agree - they are gorgeous when they are sleeping!

I am in awe of all the training you guys do and I'm determined to do more with my puppy.

Molly has only had a little training for RATGs. The rest we have learnt from going to trials and competing.

She must have great "raw talent" and would have been a lot further along if she'd had a decent trainer!

Can't view the video at work so I'll look tonight on the home computer.

I am in awe of all the training you guys do and I'm determined to do more with my puppy.

Molly has only had a little training for RATGs. The rest we have learnt from going to trials and competing.

She must have great "raw talent" and would have been a lot further along if she'd had a decent trainer!

You're in awe?! Are you saying that you've done very little training and your Molly is entering Restricted? mollipop, I'M in awe of YOU!! Your Molly must be such a pleasure to trial with that natural instinct, but I am guessing that you aren't giving yourself enough credit for the training you have given her ;)

I'm mad with myself for not training enough. I do bits and pieces of obedience, agility and retrieving, but not enough of one thing to be much good at it. I probably shouldn't spread myself so thin while I'm still learning, and with 2 dogs, but I can't help it :o I am fumbling my way through the levels in obedience and agility, but as there is so much to retrieving, won't be able to fumble my way through that one!!

RV, your video is so cute!! When do I get Zora cuddles again? :D Is she old enough to come training next week?

Edited by RubyStar

Proud as punch of my little girl today :thumbsup:

Toby was out in the long grass with his head down a rabbit hole and his bum in the air, Zora turned around, saw him and went on point :thumbsup: Then the rest of the walk whenever Toby was stalking/chasing birds she would go into a point until he was done :D

THEN we got to the creek which was quite swollen and flowing and Toby crossed it, well little miss would not be left behind and jumped in and swam across after him :)

Plus she is starting to get the whole return back to me after I throw her toy. Although sometimes it's much more fun to run away and play keep off, especially with Toby's special ball. ;)

She sounds so adorable, RV! Can you get any video of her pointing? :)

Awesome RV! Sounds like you've got a natural backer :thumbsup: :D

Yes but I think now I have typed about it it's never going to happen again! :laugh:

Will try and get some video at some stage RV :)

Just had a lovely weekend at the ACT Retrieving Trial.

Molly got third place on Saturday but missed her second bird on Sunday. She over-ran the mark then vanished into the sunset. Think she followed a gully and totally lost the plot. All was good though cos I could leave early and got home at a reasonable time.

We shared the grounds with lots of kangaroos and a huge eagle was hunting close to us. There were also lots of field mice in the cover, which the dogs thought was great. You can tell that I'm a city girl and not used to enjoying the countryside.

They do look like fabulous kids, LT.

Love your training grounds too. Is that your property?

Can Molly and I come to visit?

I wish it was my property, its open space area between some properties, beautiful spot as you can see.

Come visit and we will take you there, better come in the winter, no water in the river in the summer.

On Sunday we went out to Beverley to a mock trial put on by two of our new trainee judges. First time we have worked in such terrible weather, so very pleased to see it made no difference to the dogs. I think Rebel thought it was great being out in the rain, I always call him in at home otherwise he would be out there for hours, loves the rain.

Heaps of water in the river and flowing very fast, very pleased the water runs were not across the river.

Well done mollipop - glad to hear you had a good result on Saturday and a good time as well!

We have been away with camping with the dogs at Lakes Entrance - 5 min walk from the near deserted beach which was just glorious. The dogs were exhausted by the end of the week :laugh:

A few days rest at home and we are back into training. Em started foundation agility classes on Sunday and then on Monday I refreshed her casting drills and whistle stops. By Tuesday she was all over it so I decided to try her in a single T drill. I was prepared for it to all fall apart but she nailed it so the patience with basic handling skills has paid off - she was super confident too. So, I had a pile to the left, one to the right and one out in front (an upside down T). First, I stood between the left and right piles with Em at heel and sent her forward to the top pile. I moved backwards so she was further away for her return. Sent her again (she had to run between the left and right piles) and that was fine. Then I sent her again and whistle stopped her just as she reached the middle of the left and right piles. Then I cast her to the left pile and she just looked at me as if to say "oh, ok then - I recognise that picture." Then I sent her to to the top pile once more before calling it quits as it was a bit warm in the sun. There was quite a bit of jumping for joy in between retrieves :laugh:

Edited by The Spotted Devil