Retrieving & Field Training Talk

What a shame TSD! Her training sounds like it's coming along so nicely!

Are you able to point me in the direction of some drills online I can work on with Ruby, please? Or give me a basic rundown? She got her CDX weekend before last so now I want to concentrate a bit more on retrieving. I'm still such a numpty when it comes to the terminology and knowing what each drill actually is. So when you say casting drill, I have no idea what that is :o

Hope I can stay on track - mum and dad just got a new puppy, a mini schnauzer, and I can see me spending some time having some fun with her!! laugh.gif

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been doing more retrieving training with my boy he way prefers it to the obedience :)He is coming along well, he was collecting the correct dummy if 2 were thrown and I sent him for one ( the one I wanted) but now this week he has gotten the idea in his head that he has to try and collect both so we are busy doing more work on that!

RS - I only mean casting lefts and rights as one exercise - sending to piles of dummies with no errors. Then you throw dummy left but send to right etc. Then left and right backs separately. Then add together slowly with lots of help by throwing dummies and then throw dummies and send somewhere else.

There's not much on line. You will need books/DVDs - I have mentioned a few books I use.

ETA: Poor Zig is going to get hammered in the training and fitness departments. Try to keep his mind off his hormones :D

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Hi again, Been away for a couple of weeks with the dogs. Went to sunny Qld. My kids thought they'd struck a heatwave as it was so much hotter than home. Also, their grasses were about a metre tall and very thick. Nothing like that in W.A. Ticks were really bad, and grass seeds in abundance. I was getting seeds out of coats a week after exposure, and, found a dead tick on one of the dogs when I got home. I did treat them prior to leaving W.A., and washed them the day we left Qld. Didn't have any success in trials, but had some very positive work from all three in different runs. Have come to the conclusion that ES dogs don't know how to do a d/rise; something mine are good at.

Had a visiting judge last weekend for two days events, and my wild child got 2nd in restricted. The older dogs did some great work in their stake, but I rue the day they invented doublefall's in retrieving. Oh well back to training ! The old fella finished the AA stake, so am just pleased he is still able to do a full day's trialing still.

Sounds like a great trip, Fetchin.. So good that you went where you could take the dogs and have success as well.

Hope you are coping okay with Em's season, SD.

Molly is definitely getting back to normal. She won open RATG yesterday at the Gundog Society show in Sydney with 3 great runs.

I am so proud of her. There were 8 entries in open and 13 in novice with 2 qualies in each. Think there were a few absent but I have lost the catalogue.

Oh well done Molly :cheer: Sounds like you had a great trip fetchin!

Day 13 and all going well. Em is so full of energy that I'm not sure who is having worse training withdrawals - her or me :laugh: Zig is behaving like a real gentleman all things considered although he was a bit hyped up tonight....took a bit of effort to get him to concentrate on his training ;)

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me if my dog needs to be a registered purebred to participate in retriever trials?

I spoke with someone from dogs NSW recently and she said that they don't have to be a reg purebred but they have to be "identifiable" as a retrieving breed ie. look like they have at least some retriever in them.

I thought this was the case for herding trials but not sure if its accurate regarding retrieving trials?

I'm still chasing up papers for my dog and I want to compete her in agility soon, so I am thinking that I'll just put her on associate reg for now (because it takes up 2 weeks- 1 month to process the application and I hope to start trialling her in around a month).

I am not doing any retrieving trainning at the moment but would like to leave it open for the future.

Can I change her from associate to limited register in the future (if and when i get papers?)

Thanks

To compete in Retrieving Trials or Field Trials your dog must be a registered pedigreed Gundog on the Main or Limit register. To compete in Retrieving Ability Tests for Gundogs your dog can be an associate as long as they are a Gundog breed (not a cross). I would ask Dogs NSW if you can change her from associate to main or limit register, although I do know of someone who has done it but that was several years ago.

Edited by FHRP

I would like to have a huge brag by proxy :D

Lablover's brood bitch, Pink (handled by a friend), won Novice today at the Lab Retriever Club's trial :cheer:

If that wasn't enough, 2 girls and 1 boy from Pink's last litter (sired by another of LL's dogs, Stamp) took out 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in Restricted :thumbsup: These youngsters are only around 14 months old and a couple of them are entered in the upcoming Nationals - as far as I'm aware they are the youngest dogs to ever qualify.

What makes it more terrifying is that I have promised to handle one of their litter mates for LL when Em is ready for Novice - talk about pressure :eek::rofl:

Thanks Spotted Devil, You will be under the pump when running your Em and Funky in their first trial. Will be so much fun.

Good news to report Stamp/Yank youngsters also came 1st and 3rd in Restricted on Sunday. Their mother 1st in Novice.

Going to repeat the mating.

Further good news (perhaps) I am not "deaded" yet. Gotta keep my sense of humour. Cancer wise excellent, arthritis and fitness F - for fail.

Was so looking forward to catching up with you Fetchindawgs. I am actually planning to be training near the Murray, which is only 2 1/2 hours from the national location. Do not be too surprised if I pop up!

Thanks Spotted Devil, You will be under the pump when running your Em and Funky in their first trial. Will be so much fun.

Good news to report Stamp/Yank youngsters also came 1st and 3rd in Restricted on Sunday. Their mother 1st in Novice.

Going to repeat the mating.

Further good news (perhaps) I am not "deaded" yet. Gotta keep my sense of humour. Cancer wise excellent, arthritis and fitness F - for fail.

Was so looking forward to catching up with you Fetchindawgs. I am actually planning to be training near the Murray, which is only 2 1/2 hours from the national location. Do not be too surprised if I pop up!

Hey LL great to hear from you. Heard via Pru that you weren't going to the Nationals & sorry to hear that. Would be wonderful to catch up again if you're able to. I am injured at the moment. Monday the two girls hooned behind me and slammed into my left leg. Of course I was in a paddock by myself & quite a distance from the car. Thought my knee was dislocated so had to drag myself along the ground to get to my car. Turns out it is a torn cruciate ligament but can't put any weight on my leg and have crutches. With two trials this weekend, I might be getting someone else to handle my dogs, but there is no way I'm missing the Nationals again, so OH and I will be flying over next week regardless. Might be interesting doing a walkup !!!!

Sounds like you are doing great LL :thumbsup: Good luck to everyone going to the nationals :D

Zora is getting better with her play retrieves now, she loves to fetch and we have a short session each day. She isn't a huge fan of water at this stage but I am sure that will come.

Dummies should be made of a soft material, e.g. canvas or plastic, and be of a subdued colour. Dummy length should be in the range 25cm to 31cm in length, with a circumference of between 20cm and 27cm and a have weight of between 300gms and 450gms and must be free of all feather and fur.'

According to the RAT rules these are the dummies needed, now 20cm is 8", the biggest dummies I can find online are 3" ones! Where did you all get your dummies?

Dummies should be made of a soft material, e.g. canvas or plastic, and be of a subdued colour. Dummy length should be in the range 25cm to 31cm in length, with a circumference of between 20cm and 27cm and a have weight of between 300gms and 450gms and must be free of all feather and fur.'

According to the RAT rules these are the dummies needed, now 20cm is 8", the biggest dummies I can find online are 3" ones! Where did you all get your dummies?

When they talk online about 3" - they are meaning the width. ;)

Check with your RATG group perhaps? Ours seems to have a manufacturer here and they are reasonably priced.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

When they talk online about 3" - they are meaning the width. ;)

Check with your RATG group perhaps? Ours seems to have a manufacturer here and they are reasonably priced.

There is no RATG Group in WA ;) I don't even think there are plans for a RAT. :( Might try and include one in a potential trip east next year :thumbsup:

At last Em's season is done with so yesterday I caught up with LL for training. Such a beautiful day that we decided to work on water. Em started out strongly but then managed to frighten herself silly so I took her away to make a huge game of retrieving a bird in the mud and shallows, getting deeper until she was really enthusiastic and swimming strongly. LL did blinds over the lake with her dogs and then threw a single mark (bird) for a well rested Em. LL threw it on land but Em was required to cross the (narrow) body of water - good girl retrieved without any hesitation so we decided to finish her training on a high. I had a play with LL's dogs - sending them on triple water marks - was a very funny experience..,like switching from a racing Mini Minor to driving a Mack truck or an aeroplane :laugh: The boys were a handful but dear old Pepper looked after me :heart:

This afternoon we went back to the same training ground to capitalise on yesterday's success. Em was off her nut with excitement but I still started her slowly on the bird/water. LL threw a bird in the same place as yesterday - Em attacked the water fabulously, picked up the bird (cheer from me) and went to cheat....I stopped her and sent her back in the water and she jumped straight in and came back. LL threw the next one right on the edge of the water. Again Em thought about cheating but entered the water as soon as I directed her to. We stopped there and gave Em a good gallop as a reward - of course I couldn't keep her out of the water after that! Warmed her up on a single T and a few land blinds - had barely forgotten a thing despite not having trained for 3 weeks. Both of us tired and very happy.

Edited by The Spotted Devil