Retrieving & Field Training Talk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its hard for me to go the whole weekend Katie as I would need to take fresh meat for Mason- my kibble idea has not been working!

You wouldn't come even if he was able to eat kibble laugh.gif :p

:laugh::eek:

I rarely camp if I can avoid it but I'm often away for weekends without access to a fridge for the dogs food and I can still feed them raw. Chicken frames that are frozen when I leave and kept in a cooler bag are fine for feeding the second day, as are lamb shanks etc. :thumbsup:

I did the camping thing when I started retrieving trialing, but one or two seasons in a tent in the freezing cold with no showers and often only a pit toilet, I chucked that in! Most others have a caravan but a few of us head to the nearest cheap motel, hey rubyroo :D :thumbsup:

Its hard for me to go the whole weekend Katie as I would need to take fresh meat for Mason- my kibble idea has not been working!

Probably not. Im not afraid to admit i hate camping, i need my shower and electricity. Spent 27 years in africa where every 2nd day i either had no water or no power and i hate it. So lets just say i did 27 years camping and am now soooo over it.

Ness i dont feed tinned sardines only fresh from fish market

laugh.gif I don't like camping either. And I'm not afraid to admit on a public forum that I avoid peeing in the bush at all costs! I know sooner or later I'm gonna have to, but will do my best to prolong it rofl1.gif A pit I can handle, with a shower tent around it!

I wouldn't choose camping as a holiday choice, but I'll hack it once a year! Would much prefer to stay in a campervan - not many actually are camping in tents!

I'd prefer to do the motel thing too in all honesty, but only if I have someone to share with. I would probably over sleep and miss all the fun!

If there is a hotel in Williams (near Arthur River) that allow dogs in them then maybe next year I will opt for the hotel embarrass.gif I won't wake up at 3-4am for the drive down there in the morning, that to me is personally more hassle than camping! laugh.gif Not to mention the drive home in the afternoon, I would fall asleep at the wheel for sure.

Edited by RubyStar

Probably not. Im not afraid to admit i hate camping, i need my shower and electricity. Spent 27 years in africa where every 2nd day i either had no water or no power and i hate it. So lets just say i did 27 years camping and am now soooo over it.

If you wanted to get serious you could get a camping fridge/freezer combo and install an extra battery in your car to run it.

However, it's a personal choice about the financial outlay of such a thing.

I won't tell my girls that, they will think they are hard done by getting tinned sardines, even though they love them! laugh.gif

My dogs won't eat fresh fish!! They love their tinned stuff though :thumbsup:

Finding accommodation that allows dogs inside is tricky, especially for a reasonable price, my boys sleep in the car just fine. I figure I have a lot of motel accommodation to do before I cover the cost of a caravan, and I don't have to tow :D

I could leave Ruby in the car but I would feel awful :o

One year I slept in my car and contemplated leaving Ruby outside the car in a crate. Didn't contemplate that for very long, I didn't have the heart to, so she slept in the car with me :p

Last year she slept in my tent with me. I put her bed on one side of the tent and mine on the other. She wanted to snuggle with me so we spent the weekend spooning in my tent....

I have no shame in also admitting that my dogs are my furbabies and will spoil them so :D

Edited by RubyStar

If I camp my dogs are in the tent with me, or the van if I have my parents van. I prefer accommodation where the dogs can be in with me, but it's not always possible if I don't want to tent it :) I always have at least two dogs in the car so they can snuggle up together and I find after a day of trialing, there are no complaints about sleeping in the car :thumbsup: It's just so much easier if you have dogs that can be accommodated this way I've found. I must admit when field trialing with Polo only I found accommodation where he was able to be with me, in the vain hope he'd keep his brain all weekend from sleeping so well :laugh:

Anyway, if people are keen to trial they will find accommodation that works :thumbsup:

There is a motel at Williams, but I dont think the dogs are allowed inside, so sleep in the car. It would drive my other dogs nuts to be in the car for a couple of days and do nothing and I dont have anyone else to leave them with so for me, its a better option to get up early drive down and back the same day. Always make sure I have something to eat and drink for the trip home, keeps me awake. Plus I like my own bed, hot shower and not freezing my butt off.:laugh:

It is good to go help as well, but I find I get heaps of chance to do that at other trials, so feel I give back to the sport during the season. You certainly learn heaps by helping out that is for sure.

It is good to go help as well, but I find I get heaps of chance to do that at other trials, so feel I give back to the sport during the season. You certainly learn heaps by helping out that is for sure.

thumbsup1.gif

I don't get a chance to help out much during the season as it's a long way to go when you aren't trialling, so I like to do the Arthur River weekend instead so I can help out over the whole weekend. Helping is great as you do learn so much!

I love camping in my little tent though I must admit I haven't stayed in it right in the middle of winter.

We have a lovely caravan at home with a shower and toilet but it's way to big for me to tow and the OH isn't interested in retrieving weekends.

Think I would rather pee in the bush than visit the pit toilet. I still have nightmares about the time I was using it when "box" that you sit on starting falling into the hole! I had to go and tell the trial manager that I had broken the toilet. Very embarassing for me but everyone else thought it was funny.

My guys also love canned fish. It makes for stinky breath though.

Totally off topic, do you have any ideas on how to stop a puppy from eating poo. My young bitch is disgusting. She must snack on it all day then vomits it up just before her dinner-time.

Think I would rather pee in the bush than visit the pit toilet. I still have nightmares about the time I was using it when "box" that you sit on starting falling into the hole!

Lovely topics we discuss :laugh: But I agree, I hate the pit loo, espeically when you're there for more than a day (without going into detail :o ).

I have uploaded the Nationals pics if anyone is interested. I think there are a few good ones in there!

Day 1

Can't see your pics on the work computer, FHRP. I'll have to wait til tonight.

It didn't occur to me that I could go to the Nationals to watch/help. Please give me a nudge next year.

Are you going to the Taree trial?

Also need to look at Em's training video.

It'll be a big nudge next year, the Nationals are in WA! :D I'm sure help for the NSW State Titles wouldn't be knocked back though :thumbsup:

I really enjoy watching the Championships, I see some great dog work but I also see that dogs are dogs and none are perfect. I come away keen again (for at least a short time :o ) to get out there and train Polo 'cause I'm sure he is capable of most of those runs with some training, not saying he'd get through them all in one weekend though :laugh:

Funny that I can see Flickr photos at work but can't see Photobucket images or Youtube!

Think I would rather pee in the bush than visit the pit toilet. I still have nightmares about the time I was using it when "box" that you sit on starting falling into the hole!

Lovely topics we discuss :laugh: But I agree, I hate the pit loo, espeically when you're there for more than a day (without going into detail :o ).

Just to continue with this lovely topic, I don't have a problem with pit toilets cos I don't actually SIT on it. And after hearing this story about it starting to fall into the hole, I definitely won't this time! I have issues with peeing in the bush from a horrible experience on year 7 camp. Actually, it was 2 horrible experiences on the one camp! If I had complete privacy I could do it, but you just never know when someone is going to walk by embarrass.giflaugh.gif

Yup,TMI to be sharing on a public forum! But oh well rofl1.gif

We have a lovely caravan at home with a shower and toilet but it's way to big for me to tow and the OH isn't interested in retrieving weekends.

Totally off topic, do you have any ideas on how to stop a puppy from eating poo. My young bitch is disgusting. She must snack on it all day then vomits it up just before her dinner-time.

Would be great to find a partner who would be interested in the retrieving and camping weekends. I could justify buying a campervan then!

And about the poo eating, yes I have a dog who does it and no amount of growling at her, or tricks such as pineapple in the food makes her stop icon_smile_mad.gif People swear by the pineapple in the food, I also read about putting seaweed powder in the food, neither worked for me. Even switching to a raw diet didn't work. Good luck! :p