Retrieving & Field Training Talk

The rules actually say that they can use either pigeons or dummies.

Thanks for clarifying. I was just going off what I am sure I had read in this thread and didn't actually go and look at the rules :)

Saying that though, do you think clubs would opt for birds when dummies are acceptable? Less hassle to just make competitors bring their own dummies, and we all know the less organisation involved the better to get things off the ground!

Edit: I'm not fussed either way, though. Just means I have to convince Millie to pick a bird up, not look at me with a look of horror that says "but mum, it's dead!"

I am guessing that maybe they will go with dummies as they have problems getting enough birds for the retrieving trials and yes the club running it has to provide the birds.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm maybe I mixed it up with something else that isn't going to happen... but that's good that it will go ahead when a club opts to run it. I won't be able to give it a try until Ari returns to hand but I read the rules this morning and it seemed quite interesting. Yes the rules definitely say dummies or birds, however if birds are chosen, it's the club that provides them, and if dummies, the owner must provide. Since my bitch refuses to retrieve a dummy on land, that would probably count her out! I would be interested in attending one if it does happen. The obvious benefit to this is that more people might give it a go if it doesn't take 2 hours to get there and back, and I am sure there are plenty of locations that can be used which have light cover and/or water.

There are not many places around Perth with light cover and water that you dont have the general public attending. No idea where they would hold the trials, maybe Upper Swan area? It will be interesting to see how many people turn up and give it a go, will any flow onto retrieving - I would be surprised.

They could just hold them in conjunction with a normal obedience trial at the Canine grounds could they not? They held the old Gundog ability tests there one year during the Lab Nationals in 2007. Dummies could be thrown into the scrub down the bottom oval. And in winter the lower oval is usually under water :D rofl1.gif

They could just hold them in conjunction with a normal obedience trial at the Canine grounds could they not? They held the old Gundog ability tests there one year during the Lab Nationals in 2007. Dummies could be thrown into the scrub down the bottom oval. And in winter the lower oval is usually under water :D rofl1.gif

:laugh: so true.

Hmmm yes I forgot about the general public LT!!

That's what they are trying to do here in Vic, the Lab Club et al are holding them which is great. :thumbsup:

I think we are blessed to have some suitable areas to run them though.

Hi All!!

For my 2 bobs worth, I only attend a few trials a year in NSW. But it is very clear that it is the same people on the throwers all day, time and time again and we are so thankful to them. I remember being at a trial and offering to help anyone who would like to learn how to use the thrower? No! no-one wanted to learn. It was quite dissappointing. I need to keep my dog calm at a trial (he is a little over excited and cant control himself - we have issues) and sitting on a thrower for all 3 runs doesnt help me at all, it would be nice if a few others put their hand up occassionally. But I love the sport and wont let another competiter down by not being there to help them.

I would rather somewhere a bit more exciting than the K9 grounds and wont catch me in that long grass there are snakes in there as well. Actually I have been there a couple of times after a bit of rain and there does not seem to have the ponds as much, looks like they have done some repairs to let the water run off?

I am going to be extra wary this year - with all the work being done over the road and on the canine grounds themselves, all the snakes will be fleeing and I am sure some of them have crossed the road to the canine.

Would the water body have to be a natural water body?

I would rather somewhere a bit more exciting than the K9 grounds and wont catch me in that long grass there are snakes in there as well. Actually I have been there a couple of times after a bit of rain and there does not seem to have the ponds as much, looks like they have done some repairs to let the water run off?

Somewhere more exciting would be good but as it seems a lot of the RATG being held in the east are in conjunction with obedience trials, it just makes sense, even to just get the ball rolling and then maybe switch to somewhere more exciting! And yes, I wouldn't send my dogs into the bush at Canine either in the summer. Wouldn't send them anywhere remotely snakey in warm weather, regardless of where it is! The water runoff I guess is a bit better these days, but it still does flood a bit. I was joking about using the water there for the test laugh.gif

Edited by RubyStar

Somewhere more exciting would be good but as it seems a lot of the RATG being held in the east are in conjunction with obedience trials, it just makes sense, even to just get the ball rolling and then maybe switch to somewhere more exciting! And yes, I wouldn't send my dogs into the bush at Canine either in the summer. Wouldn't send them anywhere remotely snakey in warm weather, regardless of where it is! The water runoff I guess is a bit better these days, but it still does flood a bit. I was joking about using the water there for the test laugh.gif

I realised you were joking about the water on the grounds, I was just making a comment that when I have been there it has not been as bad as previous years.

No idea if they are running them with obedience trials or not, guess it will depend when the judges are free and if they tie in with obedience trials.

Someone told me when they were moving one of the sheds at K9 they found a few snakes in there, I wont let my dogs go in any of the bushy areas there any time.

I am off to try Rebel at a new spot tomorrow, very light cover almost looks like it has been mowed but know it hasnt, with nice open area, logs for him to learn to jump over, rocks, and some trees but no thick bush, well not in the bit I am going to use. No water but thats ok, can go to the river for that later.

I am off to try Rebel at a new spot tomorrow, very light cover almost looks like it has been mowed but know it hasnt, with nice open area, logs for him to learn to jump over, rocks, and some trees but no thick bush, well not in the bit I am going to use. No water but thats ok, can go to the river for that later.

You'll have to report back on how the new spot went and then let us Perth folk in on the secret thumbsup1.gif Might have to invite myself along to join you one Friday ;) I've been taking Ruby to the local lake this week to work on her water retrieves (well, more so water deliveries). I get weird looks from passersby but eh :shrug:

Will do RS, only about 15 minutes from my place in the Armadale hills, just nice not having to drive for an hour. Yep your welcome to come on a Friday, but will warn you I like early, 8.30am is late for me. :rofl: Dont like training when it starts to warm up. I will take some photo's tomorrow and see what you think.

Edited by Livertreats

That's ok, early works for me because I have to work a half day anyway so the earlier the better! :D Good thing about my Friday is I can work my half day in the morning or afternoon, I just fit work in around my own schedule :D

That's ok, early works for me because I have to work a half day anyway so the earlier the better! :D Good thing about my Friday is I can work my half day in the morning or afternoon, I just fit work in around my own schedule :D

That good, any time your free and want to come just say the word.

Yipee just organised to get a friend to come and toss dummies for me tomorrow, save me walking quite so much.:)

I took Ruby out to the local park where there is a lake again today, and we had a ball thumbsup1.gif

I stuck a couple of wings onto a dummy and it totally changed her attitude. She was a retrieving freak today! I just LOVED her enthusiasm! Her sit to whistle is coming along as are her water retrieves. We still have a fair bit of work to do on those water deliveries as I've figured out if she can see her bribe up front she will resist that dreaded drop & shake, but if she doesn't see the bribe she will drop & shake then pick it up and finish the delivery. I'm obviously not pleased about having to bribe her and we will be quickly phasing that out, but for her to continue with delivery after she's dropped it is a step forward in itself as before she would drop, shake and that was the end of the game as far as she was concerned.

Sorry to dribble on but I just had an absolute ball out with her today and when we don't do a lot of retrieving training due to other commitments, these baby steps where things actually progress forward are exciting :D