Retrieving & Field Training Talk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are any of you trialling at Easter?

I have entered the 3 days but will have to convince my husband that it's a good idea.

He will have to mind the puppies. They are 3 weeks old now and gorgeous - getting to the "interesting" stage.

I'm going to try them all with a bird before I pick my girl.

Can't see the photos on my work computer so I'll have a look tonight.

Are any of you trialling at Easter?

I have entered the 3 days but will have to convince my husband that it's a good idea.

He will have to mind the puppies. They are 3 weeks old now and gorgeous - getting to the "interesting" stage.

I'm going to try them all with a bird before I pick my girl.

Can't see the photos on my work computer so I'll have a look tonight.

Hi mollipop, all going to plan I am running a dog in All Age on Monday of the Easter trials. Not my dog, but his sire, I'm sure you've met him :laugh: His owner will be judging your stake :)

At our Easter trials we have All Age on the Saturday and Sunday, then on the Monday, Novice, Restricted and All Age. I'll be running dogs in all the All Age and the restricted stakes.

It is a weekend away camping, with only a bush toilet put on site.

Everyone either takes their caravan or tent and camps alongside the river for the four nights, although there is motel accommodation about 32 klm away in Williams. Most stay on site though, and we have a nightly get together for some lively chat. All food, drinks, toiletries and sleeping accommodation etc must be brought with you.

It is a great opportunity for novice handlers to come away and be involved in the trials and the people. I always recommend to newbies to get out into the field and help at trials, as you see and can learn so much from this angle. Anyone is welcome to go (I think Rubystar said she was camping again this year). It is about 2 hrs south of Perth on private property and set alongside the river.

Sound fantastic fetchindawgs :)

I find it interesting that WA doesn't offer all stakes at your trials though, in Eastern states it seems the norm to offer every stake on each day of a trial. Do you think it works better not to offer so much? Easier to contract judges and not over use them? Do people from the non-running stakes come and steward?

Edited by FHRP

Has anyone heard when there will be a RAT in Victoria? Or who I can ask?

Taken from a recent post on the Australian Working Retriever Central forum:

There is a Labrador Restricted to Breed Obedience Trial and Champ Show scheduled for the 15th May at KCC Park Cranbourne. They are also hoping to hold a RATG there. Their website still shows that they are waiting confirmation of this. I have emailed them to let me know. This will only be for labradors.

The English Springer Spaniel club have a confirmed date of 28th May. This will be held at KCC Park. Open to all gundogs and will be a Novice test only.

The Geelong Obedience Dog Club have also a confirmed date of 9th July. This will also only be a Novice test. will be held in conjuntion with their obedience trial.

Gippsland Obedience Dog Club (Morwell) will hopefully be hosting one in August at their grounds and surrounds.

At our Easter trials we have All Age on the Saturday and Sunday, then on the Monday, Novice, Restricted and All Age. I'll be running dogs in all the All Age and the restricted stakes.

Everyone either takes their caravan or tent and camps alongside the river for the four nights, although there is motel accommodation about 32 klm away in Williams. Most stay on site though, and we have a nightly get together for some lively chat. All food, drinks, toiletries and sleeping accommodation etc must be brought with you.

It is a great opportunity for novice handlers to come away and be involved in the trials and the people. I always recommend to newbies to get out into the field and help at trials, as you see and can learn so much from this angle. Anyone is welcome to go (I think Rubystar said she was camping again this year). It is about 2 hrs south of Perth on private property and set alongside the river.

Jealous :laugh: I was hoping to make it this year but it's my dad's 50th so we are off to Albany over easter. Definately want to try make it next year, hoefully to cheer on Ruby and Rubystar who will be competing :D

Has anyone heard when there will be a RAT in Victoria? Or who I can ask?

Taken from a recent post on the Australian Working Retriever Central forum:

There is a Labrador Restricted to Breed Obedience Trial and Champ Show scheduled for the 15th May at KCC Park Cranbourne. They are also hoping to hold a RATG there. Their website still shows that they are waiting confirmation of this. I have emailed them to let me know. This will only be for labradors.

The English Springer Spaniel club have a confirmed date of 28th May. This will be held at KCC Park. Open to all gundogs and will be a Novice test only.

The Geelong Obedience Dog Club have also a confirmed date of 9th July. This will also only be a Novice test. will be held in conjuntion with their obedience trial.

Gippsland Obedience Dog Club (Morwell) will hopefully be hosting one in August at their grounds and surrounds.

So jealous Vic :hug: Hope WA has one when I have a dog to do it with. :)

Yes I am hoping to come this year. But I am still a camping dummy. I don't own a tent, and find it hard to pack food for 4 days when I don't own a campervan! I was very thankful for a few competitors taking me under their wing last year and inviting me to dinner :) It was taking 2 hours to cook my snags on a portable gas stove thingy :rofl::laugh:

Helping out in the field was great. I was nervous about being gun steward but it turned out to be a great experience! Still quite nervous about being on the thrower though, too much stress for me being responsible for it not firing properly!! Don't mind helping with someone more experienced, though.

Jealous :rofl: I was hoping to make it this year but it's my dad's 50th so we are off to Albany over easter. Definately want to try make it next year, hoefully to cheer on Ruby and Rubystar who will be competing ;)

:hug: :D :rofl: :rofl: At this rate, we will never be competing :) But I do hope you come with me one year, I need a travel and camping buddy! ;)

Hi FHRP. Would that be the fabulous Mr O?

He has done so much for the sport here in NSW by encouraging newbies such as myself.

He has us at his place for training- such a generous man. Don't tell him I said so though!

Might see you briefly for vetting on the Monday.

Just wondering, Fetchindawgs, do you have Flatcoats?

fetchindawgs, what dates are the Easter trial? I don't even know when Easter is :hug::laugh: And is it at the same camp site? If there is anywhere I can get more info can you please point me in the right direction? Thanks!! :)

Hi FHRP. Would that be the fabulous Mr O?

He has done so much for the sport here in NSW by encouraging newbies such as myself.

He has us at his place for training- such a generous man. Don't tell him I said so though!

:) Yes, Mr O. I have been very lucky to train at his place quite a few times, first with my Vizsla and then with Polo. I agree, very generous and very encouraging.

I have always loved Charlie (that's why I got a pup from him :hug:) and he worked brilliantly for me this weekend at training. I was the one letting the team down :laugh: See you at vetting, I'm already getting nervous!!

I'm getting nervous for you FHRP :) All Age :hug: Very Cool :rofl:

Good luck at Easter everyone - not sure that I can get away to look at our Easter trial so might just run Ziggy in one or two days of agility instead.

:laugh: Thanks!! You'd probably do a better job than me by the sounds of how you have handled LL's dogs!!!

And then we have our first field trial the following weekend :D I'm going to be a nervous wreck for weeks!!!

Vic isn't holding Easter Retrieving trials this year. I never made it to the famous Benalla Easter trials :rofl:

I'm getting nervous for you FHRP :) All Age :D Very Cool :rofl:

Good luck at Easter everyone - not sure that I can get away to look at our Easter trial so might just run Ziggy in one or two days of agility instead.

:laugh: Thanks!! You'd probably do a better job than me by the sounds of how you have handled LL's dogs!!!

And then we have our first field trial the following weekend :rofl: I'm going to be a nervous wreck for weeks!!!

Vic isn't holding Easter Retrieving trials this year. I never made it to the famous Benalla Easter trials :rofl:

Oh, I didn't realise!

I can't wait to hear how you go - followed by a field trial? Glutton for punishment much :hug:

fetchindawgs, what dates are the Easter trial? I don't even know when Easter is :hug::laugh: And is it at the same camp site? If there is anywhere I can get more info can you please point me in the right direction? Thanks!! :)

I see in Canine News there are retrieving trials on 23rd, 24th and 25th April which is easter sat, sun and monday. Are you not doing the obedience trial on sat 23rd? I sent my entry off today

Edited by Mason2009

I see in Canine News there are retrieving trials on 23rd, 24th and 25th April which is easter sat, sun and monday. Are you not doing the obedience trial on sat 23rd? I sent my entry off today

Not if it coincides with the retrieving weekend :D

Are you not doing the obedience trial on sat 23rd? I sent my entry off today

Not if it coincides with the retrieving weekend :hug:

:) I like your priorities! :laugh:

Edited by FHRP