Retrieving & Field Training Talk

I'm thrilled to say that today, Ruby not only finished her first trial, but she also scored her first pretty retrieving sash! We walked away with 2nd place :cheer: Lots of happy tears were shed today :D

:cheer: :cheer: :happydance::party::thumbsup::dancingelephant: Awesome result Ruby and RubyStar!!! You must be over the moon :D Keep smiling!!!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone, it means so much :)

I want to thank bedazzledx2 for this photo. While it shows my girl about to break, this photo warms my heart and makes me smile because my girl, the one sometimes really hard to motivate, was so eager!! :D

She had stood up in a ready to pounce stance (as seen in the photo), paused for a moment, before she took off before I commanded her to embarrass.gif Steady until she got a taste of success in the previous two runs! Now I know to use a sturdy "wait" command, instead of the soft one I normally issue her because breaking is usually the least of our issues :)

post-25061-0-50182400-1335534852_thumb.jpg

Sitting here waiting for the third run of restricted waiting to gun steward so thought I'd pop in briefly with my news!!!

Ruby got ALL THREE BIRDIES in the novice stake - WOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!! :happydance2: :happydance2:

I've had some happy tears already. I'm so over the moon!!!! :D :D

Happy tears? How wonderful. Great news!!!!

Love the photo RubyStar!! :thumbsup: :D

Sure is.

There was a trial in South Australia over the weekend.

Breeders brag!!!!

Saturday: All Age was won by Adderslot Chief - RT CH title achieved, this being her second win.

Today: Two finishers. Adderslot Chief and Adderslot Star Spangled Yank.

Chief won again. Chief is SHE. 22 months old.

Love the photo RubyStar!! :thumbsup: :D

Sure is.

There was a trial in South Australia over the weekend.

Breeders brag!!!!

Saturday: All Age was won by Adderslot Chief - RT CH title achieved, this being her second win.

Today: Two finishers. Adderslot Chief and Adderslot Star Spangled Yank.

Chief won again. Chief is SHE. 22 months old.

Is that Russell who trains Chief LL ? What a great trainer he is hey ! Maybe I should send him my little Lab bitch too. Who was running Yank ? obviously not you , right ? When are you getting back out there with the dogs; and, are you coming to the Nationals this year ? Congrats on the results.

Well, our second retrieving weekend wasn't quite as successful as our first as she went out on the first run both days. However, I know what caused the problems so that's good. Her second and third runs on both days were absolutely mind boggling. I don't know how she does it. Didn't think she was capable of a long swim across a very fast running river but she did it (and did it 3 times as she was pick-up dog for one run).

I am in total awe of my little black and white brat and even though we had problems on the two first runs she was so much better this weekend that the previous one.

Edited by gspx3

Is that Russell who trains Chief LL ? What a great trainer he is hey ! Maybe I should send him my little Lab bitch too. Who was running Yank ? obviously not you , right ? When are you getting back out there with the dogs; and, are you coming to the Nationals this year ? Congrats on the results.

I am lucky Russell (he won the Australian national twice with another of mine- the litter mate is the sire of Chief) and other retriever triallers (one win all age, one RRD, and Funkie (4trials 1st2ndx 2 and a 4th) - and Australian Customs and Police,are achieving excellent results and have faith in my ability (time, travel to US, money and research) to have imported wonderful genetics from America.

Good luck with little lab bitch too.

Yank is with Gareth, he loves training him and trialling, as he was already planning on travelling to Western Australia. I have no plans to travel to WA with my older labs, Stamp and Peppa. With litters to whelp and my health not being 100%.

I have "been out there with the dogs". Funkie (4 trials - 1st, two seconds and a fourth) is due to whelp at the end of the month.

Might be an idea to PM, Email or phone. Especially if related to my health and its consequences.

Edited by Lablover

Hi. I make large game bags with pockets for two thrower aerials in green/brown or black/grey/white camo. I also make pouches for thrower remotes. Both fit onto a belt (not suppied). Game bags $20, pouches $5. Plus postage.

Lesli

[email protected]

Welcome to DOL Lesli with "Scout" from one ESS owner to another! I look forward to meeting you one day :)

My young Em excelled herself this weekend. I couldn't get away for 2 days of retrieving so she made her debut in the Viszla Club's agility trial yesterday (miserably wet and cold) and came away with her first Q and 1st place in Novice Jumping. Then today I was up before 5am to make the retrieving trial site in Seymour. Fantastic property with plenty of water and a good selection of runs for dogs in all stakes. First run was a nicely sighted mark in moderate cover over undulating ground with a few ditches. Nice work between the pegs, very steady, straight out and straight back. She put the bird down on her way back but, with all the training this week, she picked it straight up again and delivered it to hand. She lost 5 points but I was really pleased as she was so much more confident about picking it up again instead of standing there looking confused - the penny is dropping! Second run was a bit more challenging. Again, the mark was nice and clear and landed the other side of a gully - evidently not a whole lot of water as even Em was only wet up to her shoulders. She went out nice and straight but got caught in the "trap" and ran the track home and I wasn't quick enough to handle her - she wasn't the only one! Delivery was perfect. Third run had me a bit concerned.....dogs could only see the top of the arc in clear sky. Average run to the water, swim across the water (which was filled with logs, debris etc) then a decent run on land with the bird landing down an embankment. I needn't have worried - The Springer Devil nailed it - ran hard, attacked the water entry, swam straight, ran hard right to the mark, picked it up, flew back and swam straight across without even thinking about cheating (for which there was lots of potential). She put the bird down, had a shake, picked it up and delivered to hand. Another 5 points :drink: BUT I was over the moon as I nearly have the delivery licked and her marking was really good. I spent the rest of the day gun stewarding for Restricted, spent a little time watching AA, did a hot blind with a bird (she ran straight and hard) and found a perfect muddy water hole to do anti-cheating training.

Em ended up in 4th place on 151 points, only 6 points behind the winner. The judge took great delight at presentations in reminding me that if she hadn't dropped the birds she would have won :p He did say some lovely things about her too :laugh: I think we will both sleep very well tonight!

Well done TSD and Em! Sounds like a fantastic weekend!!! Good girl Em on your 4th place and another finished trial to tick off the QND progress list thumbsup1.gif

No retrieving for me this weekend, this dope forgot to get the entry in :hitself: Bummed about it but we went and gave Rally-O a go instead (and got 4 passes between the dogs, woohoo!)

Hi Lesli, do you have photos of your game bags? I could be very interested! :) but I'm not sure what you mean about pockets for two thrower aerials? Are they game bags for the handler? :o

Sheesh, they'll let anyone on here! :mad :laugh:

Em ended up in 4th place on 151 points, only 6 points behind the winner.

:cheer::cheer: Way to go Em & TSD!! You'll be taking the blue ribbons in no time now!!

No retrieving for me this weekend, this dope forgot to get the entry in :hitself:

:eek: Oops!! Sounds like something I would do....