New Puppy!

AdoubleJ

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I adore the look of these lovely dogs.

Adoublej and Monah, can you tell me a bit about Spinones (they arent in dogbreeds 101 :o )?

How big do they grow? Do they shed? What kind of temperaments do they have? How hard are they to get? Any downsides?

I have always admired yours Monah- he is gorgeous! :(

Ditto to what deelee said! They are beyond cute :o And what a change from 4 to 6 weeks. I wouldn't have picked it as the same breed/puppy without you telling us!! Can't wait to see more photos :(

Edit: They're a gundog, right?

Edited by RubyStar

OK just went to the ANKC website to confirm to myself that yes, they are a gundog, and I am surprised to see they are about the same size, if not bigger, than my Labs! I know what puppy I want next, and sadly it isn't a gundog, but I love gundogs so might keep my options open in the future :o

Edited by RubyStar

In the absence of our experts... :o

DOL breed pages reveal:

Temperament:

This is a devoted and gentle dog, very willing to please. It is affectionate and gets along well with other dogs and pets and children. It is also courageous. The spinone is calmer and easier going than most pointing breeds.

Care / Grooming:

This breed requires just a small amount of stripping - pulling dead hair as opposed to cutting, to neaten the coat. Other than that, just a weekly brushing will suffice. Bathe as necessary. Some say this breed grooms himself like a cat.

Large, calm and easy going, non shedding- They sound perfect!

I understand there is a long wait to get one, might start looking now!! :(

In the absence of our experts... :o

DOL breed pages reveal:

Temperament:

This is a devoted and gentle dog, very willing to please. It is affectionate and gets along well with other dogs and pets and children. It is also courageous. The spinone is calmer and easier going than most pointing breeds.

Care / Grooming:

This breed requires just a small amount of stripping - pulling dead hair as opposed to cutting, to neaten the coat. Other than that, just a weekly brushing will suffice. Bathe as necessary. Some say this breed grooms himself like a cat.

Large, calm and easy going, non shedding- They sound perfect!

I understand there is a long wait to get one, might start looking now!! :xmascheer:

:( If my heart wasn't set on this other breed, I'd be right behind you in putting my name down now :)

I'm such a breed whore ;) I now have a few different breeds I want to own and in my impatience, I want to own them all right now, too :champagne:

Edited by RubyStar

Opps sorry- not no, but LOW shedding.

After a GR it would probably seem like no shedding though!! :o

I will have to wait anyway- my OH has a one dog policy, and considering our small house/yard I have to concede to it.

So RubyStar- whats your other breed?

Edited by ✽deelee

Opps sorry- not no, but LOW shedding.

After a GR it would probably seem like no shedding though!! :o

I will have to wait anyway- my OH has a one dog policy, and considering our small house/yard I have to concede to it.

So RubyStar- whats your other breed?

Yep anything is low shedding after TWO Labradors :(

Aussie Shepherd. Also want an English Setter and a Beagle. And now maybe a Spinone :)

If I get the large property I want and miraculously make more money, I will have several of my chosen breeds at the one time.

Sorry to hijack the thread!!

Edited by RubyStar

Be careful what you wish for, asking me spin info is opening the floodgates :rock::) ;) :xmascheer: now try and shut me up!!!

they do shed, but not anything like other dogs I've had incl. goldies, cattle dogs, BCs, wolfhounds etc. but compared to the viz, yes. They are 'pluckable' and this helps reduce shedding. ;) :)

They are HPR dogs, hunting pointing retrieving, excellent trackers, great retrievers, LOVE the water, webbed feet, love to swim, very very strong dogs, females around 35 to 40kg, males often much larger and can be 10kg heavier than some females. larger than labs, maybe about the size of average GSD?

have a fantastic temp, without any doubt a wonderful animal. very full on as pups, quieter than many, but!! they do have a digging, chewing, destructo streak and have the strength to carry off pieces of nice chewy furniture and dig to China if they have the opportunity :champagne::cheers: I lost around 60 bromeliads even with supervision, she'd grab and run :( thankfully that stage is long gone, but I have never eveer been 'cross' with her at all, I could not even imagine it. My angel.

supervision is vital. they cannot handle any nastiness either. they are lovers of all and sundry. tell them off and they would be devastated. we only ever use positive stuff here, at all ttimes, no matter what. Our girls was toilet trained at 8 weeks! bladder of a champion :D very clever, can be stubborn, dont let that make you think they do not know what you want! my girl has a very large vocabulary and we have to be careful what we say all the tiime, words to NEVER say are swim, walk, car, dinner, tea, flea (toy) sucky teddy (toy), lead, all the cats names (she adores them and will look for them if I say someone), my kids names... birdy, ducky, possum (loves all these too). they have very soft mouths and Roisin can pick up a bird and place it in my hand so it flies off. I sometimes have to wipe off the slime, oh I have not mentioned the umm SLOBBER yet have i :o:cheer::drink:

Of course personality will vary between dogs of the same breed, but all the many I have met have been fabulous and all the spin friends I have OS have found the same. I honestly think they are the most unrec dog in this country, they are very popular OS and well known as one of the all round best hunters for those so inclined, very popular, strong and steady and patient and quiet.

youtube has many gorgeous videos of them in action and you WILL fall for them if you watch, so do so at your own peril! I'd love many of them, they live and do well in large groups, no aggression. amazing.

Edited by Monah

Oh no, the slobber bit scares me! :o

What is their average life span?

I know you say they are good retrievers as well as hunters and pointers, but are they known to be successful in retrieving trials around the world? The only thing that makes me sway at times away from a working breed is the fact that I want a gundog for retrieving after I learn a bit more about it with my Lab, Ruby.

Oh no, photos!! :( Gorgeous! Can you keep them clipped shorter and not look funny?

Edited by RubyStar

I think yyou'd have to google results, but I do know they really are popular for hunting, don't know about trialling sorry.

the slobber is not bad, but there is some as the mouth is so soft. a drink of water will often end up with a flooded floor!

Roisins uncle is still winning championships in the shows and I in excellent all round health at about 12, another passed last year, I think he was 15. of course health testing is done all round for everything too. I know labs do reallywell at retrieving trials :) these dogs also have imense stamina, can go ALL DAY, my girl kept awake for a 6 daya drive from darwin (return too) and window gazed so she would not miss anything! the viz slept the whole way :o:(

spins can also do agility, flyball etc. as most breeds can.

they ;) are more laid back than most gundogs, more of a plodder than an out there athlete. I adore the calmness and sweetness of them.

Monah - Luuuurve those photo's of your girl - particulalry the last one on the boat!! Absolutely gorgeous!!!

For those that want one - well, we have liked them for 6 years and seriously waited for one for 4 years! Dedication eh!! (or mad!!)

We also have 2 standard schnauzers - 1 a champion girl, Baillie, and 1 rescue boy Flynn, they are both 14yrs old, Baillie still going strong and Flynn not so strong......

14 Beagles ranging from 9 months to 7 years and 8 cats! 3 farm cats, 1 lilac Tonkinese, 1 Ebony Oriental, 1 seal burmese and 2 Birmans... :laugh:

Now you can see why we needed a dog that gets on with everybody and everything!!

Oh and we also have 6 grandchildren... :laugh:

Monah - Luuuurve those photo's of your girl - particulalry the last one on the boat!! Absolutely gorgeous!!!

For those that want one - well, we have liked them for 6 years and seriously waited for one for 4 years! Dedication eh!! (or mad!!)

We also have 2 standard schnauzers - 1 a champion girl, Baillie, and 1 rescue boy Flynn, they are both 14yrs old, Baillie still going strong and Flynn not so strong......

14 Beagles ranging from 9 months to 7 years and 8 cats! 3 farm cats, 1 lilac Tonkinese, 1 Ebony Oriental, 1 seal burmese and 2 Birmans... :)

Now you can see why we needed a dog that gets on with everybody and everything!!

Oh and we also have 6 grandchildren... :)

Dear me, you'd never be lonely :thumbsup::laugh:

:swear: OMG!! you must be very busy :):)

We got our first tonk in 1968, I am mad about them :thumbsup: I am desperate for an oriental too and have 2 devons, a burmilla and a feral (all 10kg of him!!)

had many siamese and burmese too, I LOVE all the 'ESES :laugh:

spins love everyone and everything, your boy will have a fantastic and fun life with all your lot, lucky lucky duck!! :mad xxxx

Roisin is car and boat MAD :mad she'd rather do that than eat, and that's saying something!!!! ;)

I waited for many years too, well worth it!

So what are waiting lists like for them? Oh and I love the name Roisin. I was coming up with a list of potential puppy names the other day and Roisin was added! I hadn't heard it on here before, so nice choice :thumbsup:

I love Celtic names. Good choice :):laugh: xxxxxxx