"shakes Head In Despair"

WildatHeart

I get to work with many average family people in our school who bring their dogs and pups for training. I survey each about their animal history and their expectations. Many have been purchased from people that would be termed as byb (unregistered, no association, no microchipping etc) or from pet shops and of course a good percentage from registered breeders.

I don't really care where they got this pup from - they have come for help and want to learn more - my job is to make them enjoy the dog that they have and to get the most out of the experience. It is important not to alienate these people, if they feel that they are being judged they will never get the chance to learn more.

However I do get the chance to influence and educate them about where the dogs come from and about health and breeding benefits of going thru the registered system. After running the school for 15 years many families may have had their older dog pass away and have come back with their next pup. Some also enjoy the experience they decided on a second dog. Im happy to say they ALWAYS seem to go for either a rescue dog or a purebred which really makes me feel that my message is getting thru. Ive even been lucky enough in the last few years to have some of the families decide on even waiting for a pup from one of my litters - so I get to work with my own breeding as well.

How can we all educate the public.

You might think that what you do individually doesnt really matter. However consider this - if I have say 100-200 new dogs every year and each of these can then go home and influence some of their friends or work collegues (easily 5 each) about the benefits of training and researching where they are going to get their next dog..... and those people go home and start to influence even just 2 friends/relatives then potentially my work might help to influence even 1,000 families (average 3 people in a family) per year....... PROVIDED I DON'T ALIENATE ANYONE.

Perhaps if we all consider this PAY IT FORWARD attitude - we can be damm confident we can start to make a change.

:laugh::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She bought a puppy.... never saw where it was raised as the breeder delivered it to her. When she asked about the Rego papers she was told that it would not come with papers because she didn't want to show it so there was no need for papers. There was no puppy pack...no diet sheet.... no support but she did get the Vaccination Certificate.

This was a first time puppy owner who knew nothing at all about raising a puppy.... She was given a small plastic bag with some kibble in it and told that she could get puppy food from the local supermarket.

What a let down from a so -called registered breeder who IMO really is a BYB pretending to be an ANKC registered breeder.

That's really disappointing. :laugh:

mmm - I thought that a registered breeder had to register each litter and that there were fines if they were caught not doing that... they can lose their prefix?

or am i completely wrong here?

my girl is probably in whelp at the moment - will know in a week or so... I am not a registered breeder - but she is co-owned with a registered breeder and she is part of their breeding program, and will be going back to the breeder to be whelped (am happy with this arrangement). The interesting thing has been the conversations with people when they find out she is pregnant. I have heard a lot of stories that make my head spin - the scariest was the lady who owns a staffy, who she never got de-sexed, who was put over lots of bitches in the area because "everybody loves him and wants puppies by him". We talked a bit about what registered breeders have to do and this person agreed that BYBs are really bad. She didn't get that she was basically being a BYB, or enabling others to be BYBs :thumbsup:

Did I read that one of the recommendations before the ANKC was that only registered breeders would be allowed to own an entire dog or bitch? I know that this will be a pain for show people, but it would stop backyard breeding.

Did I read that one of the recommendations before the ANKC was that only registered breeders would be allowed to own an entire dog or bitch? I know that this will be a pain for show people, but it would stop backyard breeding.

The ANKC has no say at all in who in the general population can own an entire dog or bitch if that is what you mean, so it couldn't be a recommendation going to the ANKC as such. But you may be thinking of some of the proposed legislation around. That legislation doesn't give ANKC reg breeders any special standing, it's a local govt breeders permit that would be needed. It's intent is to cut down on byb, and maybe on all breeding, I guess how it was enforced would be the key. If people are prepared to sell pups at 6 weeks of age to avoid getting a microchip, I guess they'd find away around other legislation as well.

Edited by Diva

The ANKC has no say at all in who in the general population can own an entire dog or bitch. They don't have any legal authority, they just run a registry.

You may be thinking of some of the proposed legislation around, but that legislation doesn't give ANKC reg breeders any special standing, it's a local govt breeders permit that would be needed. It's intent is to cut down on byb, I guess how it was enforced would be the key.

yes i think it is the proposed ACT legislation that talks about this